Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Mint/Butcher vs Horn of Plenty  (Read 2288 times)

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5161
    • View Profile
Mint/Butcher vs Horn of Plenty
« on: April 08, 2016, 06:18:49 am »
+1

Code: [Select]
Great Hall, Oracle, Death Cart, Monument, Golem, Butcher, Horn of Plenty, Laboratory, Mint, Forge
Log

This game left me with a couple of questions:
- first, what is the better strategy? Going for Minting Platina and Butchering them or try for a Horn of Plenty megaturn like luser did? Something else entirely? I mean I won here, but I feel that both of us didn't execute our strategies ideally, and I could see HoP being decently strong here.
- I realize pretty late that the top Ruins is a Ruined Market. With that being the only +buy here, would any of us have benefitted from grabbing it earlier?
- I more general question about the key card Golem: In a game with only terminals and cantrips, what should the terminal/cantrip ratio be in a Golem deck?
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Aleimon Thimble

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Aleimon Thimble
  • Respect: +711
    • View Profile
Re: Mint/Butcher vs Horn of Plenty
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2016, 06:46:43 am »
+2

I don't like the HoP megaturn here. It's a Colony game, and there are 6 terminals on board, with Golem as the only splitter... it's going to be very hard to get HoP up to eleven. Minting Platina and then turning those Platina into Colonies is really nice, so I'm not surprised it won. Getting Labs is going to be important, it's the only good draw and the best Golem target.
[...] The God of heaven has given you Dominion [...] (Daniel 2:37)

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3458
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2016, 08:17:00 am »

This one is pretty clearly a mint / butcher / lab game. I would be tempted to pick up the Mint kind of late, getting Labs and Butcher first so you have the best chance of trashing 5+ Copper and still having a bit of economy, then milling Platina into Colony with Mint / Butcher. You need at least one or two Golem to trip on Lab and give you +Action, and once you're done with Potion you can Butcher it into a component or Gold so that's not a big problem. HoP as a mega turn isn't great but you can probably get 5 cost components with it without much effort, and the more Labs the better right?
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

luser

• Tactician
  • Respect: +353
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2016, 09:25:56 am »
+1

Here better strategy is clearly get butcher opening while oponent doesnt hit 5 on second shuffle with monument/silver opening.

My strategy is also mint/butcher engine but with considerably worse shuffle luck, when I get to platinum I need to start greening instead second mint and hope to get 4 colonies.

Horn there was correct as with it I got 6 labs despite being behind and had chance of winning except of turn that was dead as golem draw two terminals.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12870
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2016, 09:41:07 am »
+1

Well, something with Butcher and Mint is clearly better than something with HoP in my opinion. I'm not sure if you want Golems or if you just do the Lab grab and go for something more big moneyish though. Either way, I don't think the +buy from Ruined Market is very useful, because you have extra gains from Butcher and Mint when you need them, and I wouldn't think you're generating all that many actual dollars (by which I mean fictional in-game coins) that you can spend on things in your buy phase.

I think the perfect terminal/cantrip ratio in a deck where Golem is your main splitter is:

as many terminals as you need but as few as you can get away with/all the cantrips you can get
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2016, 10:14:19 am »

I don't think it is so clear cut how you do this. If you can use HoP to gain labs while building the deck you should get a better engine and still have a chance to gain platinum with the HoP (and butcher those for colonies). There may be options to empty provinces as well (if you can butcher and buy some then use HOP). The HoP is important since you really want to trash coppers with the mint and then restock the deck as quickly as possibly with stuff in a kingdom without +buys. The butcher will do some of that but if you're thinking big you're thinking HoP. The engine is good enough to make monuments points less important (and I'm guessing the multi-monument deck isn't going to work).

To be honest I think there's a lot that could be done differently here, right from the off, to kick start your deck and trash down with mint or build the golem engine. The butcher will always get you out of trouble if you are too aggressive in the engine building.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 11:32:28 am by DG »

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3680
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2016, 10:36:14 am »
+1

I don't like a HoP Megaturn, but I love having HoP for some gains at least. There's no village, so you want Golem and probably want to win the Lab Split, and HoP helps you on a board with no buys. You want Butcher ASAP, you want to get a Mint for the eventual Platinum, you really want to do a lot on this board to be honest. I don't know when to get the Potion, probably with HoP or Estate trash after Mint clears all the coppers.

On 5/2: Butcher
On 3/4: Oracle/Silver? I love Monument, but it's just a stop card in a Kingdom with no +Actions already
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 10:39:55 am by Seprix »
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Burning Skull

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Burning Skull
  • See you in the Outpost
  • Respect: +1843
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2016, 10:40:29 am »
+1

I would have gone with a HoP megaturn attempt, though it definitely can be outrunned with minted Butcher deck.

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3680
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2016, 10:42:05 am »

I would have gone with a HoP megaturn attempt, though it definitely can be outrunned with minted Butcher deck.

Gross.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2016, 05:22:37 pm »
+7

Earlier I said that a lot could be done differently at the start and I'll explain that a bit more. You started turn 1 Butcher, turn 2 nothing, turn 3 use butcher to trash estate for silver, buy silver using coin token, turn 4 buy silver. The result predictably was some treasure filled turns where you buy a monument (terminal silver) and then have two seven coin hands. The deck is big and lumpy and everything is happening too slowly.

Instead you could do something like butcher the estate to a great hall on turn 3, save a coin token, and have five coins to spend on turn 4 to buy a lab. This is going to create a completely different deck which is likely to have good butcher trashing and a good mint turn. There are other options as well such as taking the potion on turn 4 and saving a coin to help buy the golem, a turn 4 mint, a turn 4 butcher, a turn 3 oracle, in fact you can style all sorts of interesting decks with the turn 3 decision.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.708 seconds with 21 queries.