Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10  All

Author Topic: What is the main problem with Playdominion now? (v2.0.43)  (Read 65351 times)

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25712
    • View Profile
Re: What is the main problem with Playdominion now? (v2.0.43)
« Reply #200 on: October 29, 2015, 03:40:07 pm »
+3

It's…sort of a joke? I mean obviously it's not actually working as intended, but the requirement could easily be misread by a developer who didn't understand the intent of the feature.

Especially if the developer speaks a different language and works in a different country from the person writing the requirements.
I don't know if that's true, but I know that possession is consistently misspelled in the code for just such a reason.

rspeer

• Witch
  • Respect: +877
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: October 30, 2015, 09:18:15 pm »
+17

From the v2.0.44 release notes:

• Fixed: "Report a Problem" does nothing (1718, 1827)

Oh, so that's what's been wrong for all these months. Hear that, Stef? Reporting a problem is now supposed to do something!

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: October 30, 2015, 10:19:03 pm »

Best release notes ever.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: October 30, 2015, 11:28:51 pm »

Best release notes ever.

You have to commend MF for their transparency on that one. The patch notes have good news though, claiming to have fixed the matchmaking issues with the ranking and adding a super-high speed mode.

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: October 30, 2015, 11:33:26 pm »

Best release notes ever.

You have to commend MF for their transparency on that one. The patch notes have good news though, claiming to have fixed the matchmaking issues with the ranking and adding a super-high speed mode.

And it even has a brand new trick where games are totally unplayable!

funkdoc

• Witch
  • Respect: +414
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: October 31, 2015, 12:03:08 am »
+1

and now they just said they're rolling it back to .43

i guess that's better than just ignoring it, at least!

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: October 31, 2015, 12:07:26 am »

Where did they say that?

funkdoc

• Witch
  • Respect: +414
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: October 31, 2015, 12:11:46 am »
+1

Where did they say that?

the game itself had a popup message that said that a little while ago

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: October 31, 2015, 01:05:33 am »

Best release notes ever.

And it even has a brand new trick where games are totally unplayable!

That's, uh, disappointing. I'm still hopeful that they'll get this client up to par, but that time might come later than I was hoping if they keep getting held back by fatal bugs like this every few releases to sort through.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: October 31, 2015, 01:10:29 am »

Are they going to actually fix matchmaking so it tries to find you the best game it can, or are they just going to make sure games with players more than 1000 below your rating are refused?  I mean, I guess that latter is better than nothing.

assemble_me

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: assemble me
  • Dominion stream/yt junkie
  • Respect: +808
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: October 31, 2015, 03:13:20 am »
+1

Sounds like the classical Friday evening deployment to me.
Join the f.ds Dominion league | My Twitch channel

... and none of his posts shall remain unedited

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25712
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: October 31, 2015, 09:41:47 am »
+4

Are they going to actually fix matchmaking so it tries to find you the best game it can
That will certainly be their plan, since I will pester them about it if they don't do it. More specifically they need multiple ways to filter out opponents - rating range, games played, quit %, blocked list.

claus

• Pawn
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: October 31, 2015, 09:48:30 am »

pointer!!! it is too big. i keep remodel cards, that i don't want...

plus everything else, they've said before me

SignT

• Pawn
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: October 31, 2015, 01:34:51 pm »
+1

After reading this thread, I feel fortunate that I have found little to no problems with the current client. Previously, on Goko, it would crash on loading preventing me from ever playing. Thus, this new client is a welcome sight as I can quickly hop into a game (as you can see I'm not a very good player)

However, there is one issue I have with the client that I have not seen brought up is that the client doesn't seem to be meant for the computer, for instance, the lack of settings. It would be understandable on a tablet not to have a volume slider and the like, but it would really be desirable to have one here.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: October 31, 2015, 02:19:22 pm »

Sometimes I get an error on client startup about being unable to initialize DirectX.  Restarting computer seems to fix it.  Anyone encountered this before?

yuma

• Minion
  • Respect: +609
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: October 31, 2015, 04:21:07 pm »
+2

Good ol good of the many vs. the rights of the few conundrum.  Far more people are affected by lack of automatch since most people can use the program, but obviously not using the program at all is more severe.

Except that isn't the case here. According to the poll above more people are affected by not being able to play on the new platform, but are divided out between different reasons, than any other group:

13 - uses too much of my resources (so can play, but is harmful to computer to do so)
9 - I can't use it on my preferred platform (sure this might include tablets and iphones, but still fits)
11 - its too unstable

so 33 total compared to 17 that have issues with the point counter being on/off and 30 for the matchmaking.

So this isn't a situation of a handful people not being able to access the game. It is a situation of 33 out of 95 surveyed not being able to play the game. This should be the biggest priority for MF! And maybe it is, but right now it doesn't look like it or feel like it.

I mean I haven't dug into their published fixes and actually seen what they are dong. But each time a new version has been released (including the most recent one) I have tried it and not found success so obviously if they are doing anything at all it isn't working. And any time spent on any other issue when this major one isn't being addressed is wasted. Get everyone (ok maybe 95% is good?) access to the game and then start addressing cosmetic and upgrade features.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: October 31, 2015, 06:11:43 pm »

Good ol good of the many vs. the rights of the few conundrum.  Far more people are affected by lack of automatch since most people can use the program, but obviously not using the program at all is more severe.

Except that isn't the case here. According to the poll above more people are affected by not being able to play on the new platform, but are divided out between different reasons, than any other group:

13 - uses too much of my resources (so can play, but is harmful to computer to do so)
9 - I can't use it on my preferred platform (sure this might include tablets and iphones, but still fits)
11 - its too unstable

so 33 total compared to 17 that have issues with the point counter being on/off and 30 for the matchmaking.

So this isn't a situation of a handful people not being able to access the game. It is a situation of 33 out of 95 surveyed not being able to play the game. This should be the biggest priority for MF! And maybe it is, but right now it doesn't look like it or feel like it.

I mean I haven't dug into their published fixes and actually seen what they are dong. But each time a new version has been released (including the most recent one) I have tried it and not found success so obviously if they are doing anything at all it isn't working. And any time spent on any other issue when this major one isn't being addressed is wasted. Get everyone (ok maybe 95% is good?) access to the game and then start addressing cosmetic and upgrade features.
I think response bias heavily favors the people that can't run the software, here, where people who are annoyed by the matchmaking don't make an account or click the thread to complain about that as much as the people who used to play on Goko and now can't play at all definitely want their voice heard in the poll.  But you are of course totally free to say, "no, I don't think so".

I certainly would agree that more than 5% are having issues and that is more than enough reason to prioritize stability though.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: November 01, 2015, 12:22:12 am »
+3

I just realized that resolving Masterpiece is going to be horrible when you have a Duplicate on your Tavern mat.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

tufftaeh

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: tufftaeh
  • Respect: +83
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: November 02, 2015, 09:50:29 am »

I continue to prefer a giant red X over the card as the way to show what will be trashed (or Ambassador'd), rather than a border I'm not paying attention to.
This is my top request, too.
I know it was just my own fault, but I would have loved to play the actions that I inadvertently trashed yesterday with a Jack and a Golem'ed Chapel...

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
  • Respect: +1676
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: November 02, 2015, 12:36:50 pm »

I continue to prefer a giant red X over the card as the way to show what will be trashed (or Ambassador'd), rather than a border I'm not paying attention to.
This is my top request, too.
I know it was just my own fault, but I would have loved to play the actions that I inadvertently trashed yesterday with a Jack and a Golem'ed Chapel...

If they're going to use a colored border, would it be too much to ask that the colors have consistent meaning? (see: Watchtower)

yed

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: yed
  • Respect: +571
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: November 03, 2015, 01:20:57 pm »

I think, that the option "Never more than 1000 below my rating" is working with 2.0.43 now. It was probably fixed on the server side when broken 2.0.44 was released.

mumposaur

• Steward
  • Respect: +19
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: November 03, 2015, 07:10:53 pm »
+1

While playing MF Dominion a few nights ago, my computer suddenly powered off. From that point on my computer would not boot at all - turned out to be corrupted graphics card driver files. Uninstalling and reinstalling those did nothing. Tried several other fixes. In the end I wiped my computer clean and reinstalled my OS.

I guess those flashing colors and 2d cards were a bit too much for my 3 year old computer...

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: November 03, 2015, 07:14:34 pm »

While playing MF Dominion a few nights ago, my computer suddenly powered off. From that point on my computer would not boot at all - turned out to be corrupted graphics card driver files. Uninstalling and reinstalling those did nothing. Tried several other fixes. In the end I wiped my computer clean and reinstalled my OS.

I guess those flashing colors and 2d cards were a bit too much for my 3 year old computer...

Which OS?

mumposaur

• Steward
  • Respect: +19
    • View Profile

pst

• Minion
  • Respect: +906
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: November 04, 2015, 02:40:26 am »
+2

I've locked the voting now, since v2.0.43 is no longer the latest version and there's a risk that some new votes would be cast regarding the newer versions instead and make it unclear what the result represents.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10  All

Page created in 1.878 seconds with 21 queries.