Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Learning Curve - Game analysis desperately required  (Read 1917 times)

Nefethrul

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
Learning Curve - Game analysis desperately required
« on: January 11, 2012, 05:29:23 pm »
+1

Ahoy,

I am new to the game ( bought my base kit during the holiday, and played my first ever game on Xmas day :D )
Instant favourite .. well as expected for a MtG fan ;)

Here is a gamelog on isotropic. linky
I managed to pull this off, but I have so many doubts about the tactics and the chioces I made during the game after reading the logs over again.

All sort of replies are highly apprechiated, as I need to learn, and would like to get better.

Epoch

• Tactician
  • Respect: +38
    • View Profile
Re: Learning Curve - Game analysis desperately required
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2012, 05:59:28 pm »
+2

Well.  That's, um, quite the attack-heavy game.

You a little, and your opponent especially, probably over-bought terminal actions.  Noble Brigand is broadly considered not a great card.  Saboteur is broadly considered a really bad card (I would add: unless you can chain a bunch of them together on the same turn).  Given your opponent's reliance on attack cards, and Saboteurs, I think replacing some of your Trade Routes and Noble Brigands with Horse Traders would have been a decent way to go.  Horse Traders is also somewhat helpful in terms of dealing with the junk that Mountebanks give you, since you can discard it for +money, +buy.

In terms of trash-for-benefit, I like Apprentice a lot more than Trade Route.  I'm not sure you want trash-for-benefit at all, though, in face of an opponent with lots of Noble Brigands and Saboteurs.

You don't need to buy something every turn.  If your choice is nothing versus a bad $3 or $4 terminal, you can go with nothing.  (Ordinarily, you'd go for Silver, but possibly not a ton of that in this Colony game).

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3671
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2012, 06:01:40 pm »
+2

Welcome to the world of Dominion. As for getting better in general, keep reading this board and maybe more importantly keep playing.

As for this game, the very first thing that pops out at me is the number of turns. Even with attacks, 41 turns is waaaaaaay to long to only manage 54 points. You obviously realize how strong Mountebank can be since you spent your first $6 turn instead of Gold. But you have too many terminal actions (actions which dont have +action on them). Basically every time you have two terminals you have to play with a smaller hand. Remember that silver is very often your friend. Don't get too distracted with the shiny fun actions.

Rabid

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Rabid
  • Respect: +643
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2012, 06:07:43 pm »
+1

Welcome to the forum.
Best advice I have is to play lots, and to start with buy more money.
For example in this game on turn 6 you buy trade routes, you then draw this on turn 9 but can't play it because it clashed with the mountback, if it was a silver you would have had $9 and been able to buy a Platinum.
Twitch
1 Day Cup #1:Ednever

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4387
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2012, 06:08:44 pm »
+1

Well.  That's, um, quite the attack-heavy game.

You a little, and your opponent especially, probably over-bought terminal actions.  Noble Brigand is broadly considered not a great card.  Saboteur is broadly considered a really bad card (I would add: unless you can chain a bunch of them together on the same turn).  Given your opponent's reliance on attack cards, and Saboteurs, I think replacing some of your Trade Routes and Noble Brigands with Horse Traders would have been a decent way to go.  Horse Traders is also somewhat helpful in terms of dealing with the junk that Mountebanks give you, since you can discard it for +money, +buy.

In terms of trash-for-benefit, I like Apprentice a lot more than Trade Route.  I'm not sure you want trash-for-benefit at all, though, in face of an opponent with lots of Noble Brigands and Saboteurs.

You don't need to buy something every turn.  If your choice is nothing versus a bad $3 or $4 terminal, you can go with nothing.  (Ordinarily, you'd go for Silver, but possibly not a ton of that in this Colony game).

You do want the silver, especially with mountebank mucking you up. Actually, the money density you need to not want silver in a colony game is something you basically never ever get to. There are other reasons you may not want silver (you have an action engine, some venture shenanigans), but it not being valuable enough isn't one of them.

Geronimoo

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +868
    • View Profile
    • Geronimoo's Dominion Simulator
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2012, 06:11:03 pm »
+1

Things you did well:
-open Horse Traders/Silver which will ensure $5 in the next turns
-get Mountebank with $5 which is a very strong attack card (maybe the best)
-get Golds with $6 because your deck will be filled with junk and Gold is best in those decks

Things you shouldn't have done:
-buying Saboteur whose weak attack doesn't make up for the 4-card hand you're now stuck with
-buying Noble Brigand which will not hit often enough because of all the junk in the opponent's deck
-buying Apprentice/Trade Route when their main use will be cleaning up Coppers and Curses one at a time while not really giving any other benefit

Things you could have done:
-keep buying Golds, Silvers and Horse Traders, eventually that will lead to Platinums
-buy Apprentice later when you have something to trash and something to draw into (trash a Gold, draw plenty cards, play Horse Trader and buy a Platinum/Colony)

Nefethrul

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2012, 06:12:07 pm »

Thank you guys ;)

My choice for Trade routes was to trash the copper/curse my opponent feeding me while still getting something in return ( by the end I get one of the colonies due to the +4 from he Trade routes, as well as the last province ). Wether that investment woth it I don't know..

Way too many terminals are one of my concoluding thoughts ( but was not 100% sure on that ), thanks for confirming.

41 turns, seemd to be a loooong game for me as well :D

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2012, 06:45:29 pm »
+1

I'll give some different advice :) . The mountebank is the key attack in the deck here and the most effective defence is the loan. If you can trash the copper repeatedly you'll find curses in hand more often, which sounds bad except you can discard them as mountebank defence. With that in place you can trash estates and bigger things with apprentices, cycling your deck faster and tidying up. A big slow deck is disaster here.

At some stage you need to decide if the deck is recoverable or not (it should be). If it isn't then you need to close out the game with quick vp before your opponent and empty three piles for a dirty win. If you can recover your deck then start by trashing rubbish and once your deck has modest quality start trashing big cards with the apprentice to buy something bigger still. Ideally you can close out with the horse traders (or haggler) using the extra buy to get something extra each turn for the apprentice to trash next turn. 
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 20 queries.