Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Black Market Auction  (Read 10040 times)

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
Re: Black Market Auction
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2015, 05:12:23 pm »
+2

And you might want to rename it just 'auction,' Black Market Auction is a mouthful.

"Black Auction"

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6125
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2015, 05:31:03 pm »
+4

ಠ_ಠ

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2015, 06:38:38 pm »

A funny thing with this card is that it's possible a card is so good that the last player is gonna take it no matter what, so everyone bids like, 1 million, because every buy being a Province for the rest of the game is about equal to a throneroomable  possession or whatever :)

Another possibility is that the game can end in this move, and the card is a card that can determine wins (like a valuable Fairgrounds for example). That could also create a situation where it's all about naming as high a number as possible which isn't good.

I think the auction could work if instead you bid on how many VPs all the other players should get.

I don't think this is a problem since the auction only goes for 1 round. The person who played the card, who bids last, just automatically wins.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2015, 06:45:53 pm »

A funny thing with this card is that it's possible a card is so good that the last player is gonna take it no matter what, so everyone bids like, 1 million, because every buy being a Province for the rest of the game is about equal to a throneroomable  possession or whatever :)

Another possibility is that the game can end in this move, and the card is a card that can determine wins (like a valuable Fairgrounds for example). That could also create a situation where it's all about naming as high a number as possible which isn't good.

I think the auction could work if instead you bid on how many VPs all the other players should get.

I don't think this is a problem since the auction only goes for 1 round. The person who played the card, who bids last, just automatically wins.

I don't think he was worried about an infinite bidding loop, he's just saying 10 point Fairgrounds comes up for auction, player 1 bids 1 coin, player 2 bids three million coins, player three bid three billion coins, player four bids four googol coins, player 1 bids five googol coins.  And that that's a little carazy.  But I don't think it's an awful carazy, I think it will be rare and often be ambiguous whether the strong card is worth going full tilt like that or not, and that it's not the worst thing ever even when it does happen.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2015, 07:24:44 pm »

I don't think he was worried about an infinite bidding loop, he's just saying 10 point Fairgrounds comes up for auction, player 1 bids 1 coin, player 2 bids three million coins, player three bid three billion coins, player four bids four googol coins, player 1 bids five googol coins.  And that that's a little carazy.  But I don't think it's an awful carazy, I think it will be rare and often be ambiguous whether the strong card is worth going full tilt like that or not, and that it's not the worst thing ever even when it does happen.

My point is that a "name the biggest contest" is not something that should actually happen, because it doesn't matter what number people choose in this case; the last player to bid just says "2 higher than that".
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2015, 09:26:32 pm »

My point is that a "name the biggest contest" is not something that should actually happen, because it doesn't matter what number people choose in this case; the last player to bid just says "2 higher than that".
In MtG, this is actually a thing.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2015, 12:48:46 am »

In MtG, this is actually a thing.

When? If both players have the ability to generate an unlimited number of something, then there will either be a draw or something else to break the loop; I can't think of a situation that a player would lose because they can't think of s number larger than their opponent can.

Destry

• Navigator
  • Respect: +75
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2016, 04:57:35 pm »
+1

With the release of Empires, debt seems like a natural fit for this card. I stole the wording from Mountain Pass. I changed it to an Event so it's always available to any player.

Black Market Auction
Cost:
Type: Event
+1 Buy
Reveal the top card of the Black Market deck. After this turn, each player bids once, up to 40, ending with you. If no one bids at least 1, put the card on the bottom of the Black Market deck. Highest bidder gains the card and takes the they bid.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 04:58:52 pm by Destry »

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
  • Respect: +1346
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2016, 05:00:04 pm »
+1

And you might want to rename it just 'auction,' Black Market Auction is a mouthful.

"Black Auction"
This thread got revived and I got another chuckle out of this. I'm a terrible person.
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

Destry

• Navigator
  • Respect: +75
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2016, 05:02:01 pm »

Adding, "If this is your first buy" to prevent buying this an infinite number of times in a turn.

Nflickner

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +131
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2016, 07:23:02 pm »

I like this idea, but I wish there was a way to make it happen less often.  I feel as though the game might be a little weird/slow if every player is using this event every turn.  Perhaps it should be a card, not an event, or not give you a buy. 

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #36 on: June 09, 2016, 08:08:43 pm »

If it was a card, I would think a "trash this" mechanic would be necessary. But I don't know how often it would be used as an Event anyways.
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

Doom_Shark

• Tactician
  • Shuffle iT Username: Doom_Shark
  • Respect: +410
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2016, 08:25:35 pm »

I agree with removing the +buy. I would also suggest adding a minimum bid of the cost in coins of the card revealed. I'd like to see what happens when one person bids highly on a card to keep another player from, e.g. improving his engine, and how much it warps his/her strategy after the fact. I do not agree, however, that it would be bought very often. There is way too much variability in what type of card you are bidding on. Maybe do like the original Black Market, and have the person who played the card choose one of three. Lastly, you need the setup clause adding the black market deck. If black market isn't in the kingdom, there is no black market deck to reveal cards from.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 08:29:02 pm by Doom_Shark »
"I swear to drunk I'm not officer, God."
Generation 33 The first time you see this, copy it, add 1 to the generation number, and add it to your signature. (On any forum) Social experiment.

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2016, 08:47:32 pm »

Monopoly mechanic? If the player doesn't buy it, then bids can be made.
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

Doom_Shark

• Tactician
  • Shuffle iT Username: Doom_Shark
  • Respect: +410
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 10, 2016, 12:25:14 am »

Monopoly mechanic? If the player doesn't buy it, then bids can be made.
I think the idea of the card is the auction itself. The player who buys the event already has significant advantage in being allowed to bid last, so he/she doesn't need the added bonus of being allowed to buy the card outright before betting begins.
"I swear to drunk I'm not officer, God."
Generation 33 The first time you see this, copy it, add 1 to the generation number, and add it to your signature. (On any forum) Social experiment.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 1.959 seconds with 20 queries.