Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  All

Author Topic: Open Beta Ending Soon, RIP Goko on 10/15  (Read 38327 times)

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12870
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
Re: Open Beta Ending Soon, RIP Goko on 10/15
« Reply #50 on: October 15, 2015, 11:42:45 am »
+1

I'm 54 - 8 and still getting paired with people presumably 999 points below my level that think they should open Chancellor Smithy on a Witch board.

I think the matchmaking is probably the biggest funkiller on the new client

Chancellor/Smithy is a relatively decent opening. I've had people open Pirate Ship/Pirate Ship against me on Baker+Cultist boards.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 15, 2015, 11:45:54 am »

Ah, time to reminise about all the fond memories of trying out Goko once or twice before deciding that it just wasn't even close to worth it and never playing it again.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 15, 2015, 12:17:30 pm »
+4

I'm 54 - 8 and still getting paired with people presumably 999 points below my level that think they should open Chancellor Smithy on a Witch board.

I think the matchmaking is probably the biggest funkiller on the new client

Chancellor/Smithy is a relatively decent opening. I've had people open Pirate Ship/Pirate Ship against me on Baker+Cultist boards.

I mean, yeah, obviously that's going to be more harmful to the winrate than Chancellor/Smithy.  When it's a Pirate Ship, opening, though, I try to be optimistic that the player has played a few dozen IRL 4p base+intrigue+seaside games and come to believe Pirate Ship is a nice card and is misapplying the principles of what was making it work out ok.  I can't imagine any series of games with a good sample size that would lead you to believe that Chancellor+Smithy is sometimes the right answer.

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 15, 2015, 12:18:45 pm »
+5

I just had a game where I had 5/2 on an Urchin board with Transmute and Philosopher's Stone as the Potion cards. When my opponent bought an Urchin with his $3 hand I was starting to get a bit worried, but then he bought a Potion for $4 and I knew all would be well.

iguanaiguana

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: iguana iguana
  • Respect: +1044
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 15, 2015, 12:46:01 pm »
+3

I just had a game where I had 5/2 on an Urchin board with Transmute and Philosopher's Stone as the Potion cards. When my opponent bought an Urchin with his $3 hand I was starting to get a bit worried, but then he bought a Potion for $4 and I knew all would be well.

Hey man, that's two potion cards. TWO potion cards. When there are two, you practically have to go for potion. Too bad about your 5/2 making that tough for you to do and also pick up a nice urchin.
Point iguana. Not that points really matter with a result, but still.
Igu is town or trying the hardest he ever has as scum.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 15, 2015, 12:47:17 pm »
+5

Hey man, that's two potion cards. TWO potion cards. When there are two, you practically have to go for potion. Too bad about your 5/2 making that tough for you to do and also pick up a nice urchin.
The obvious opening on 5/2 is Potion/Estate, looking to trash the Estate with Transmute later and gain a shiny Gold.

-Stef-

• 2012 & 2016 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4419
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 15, 2015, 01:20:18 pm »
+6

I've played a bunch of games today too. Very similar experiences all the time.
People buying coppers because the have buys to spare (goons not included), people building up their fairgrounds score even though it's not on the board.
Players not answering at all when you chat to them.
It was sort of fun for a day, but it won't stay fun very long.

Fortunately there are some tournaments running, but I guess I'm not going to play random games for a while.
Great work, MF, clearly you are ready for launch now.
Join the Dominion League!

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 15, 2015, 01:56:59 pm »
+2

A proposal:  Pick a time when a reasonably large sample of good or even semi-good players (or even bad players whose handles are known because of the forums like that Kirian guy), and have them all in the matchmaking system at once.  If the system is working properly, those people should mostly get matched with one another.  If not... well, it shows the system is FUBAR.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 15, 2015, 02:12:33 pm »
+8

OK, I'd only been playing against AIs for testing purposes.

HOLY FUCK WHAT IS WITH THE CRYSTAL BALL?
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 15, 2015, 03:02:18 pm »

I'm pretty sure the matchmaking system is FUBAR'ed.  There's a large number of people who bought their first box of Dominion a month ago and are trying out Dominion online for the first time at any point in time, so there's always going to be enough weak players online to mess things up if matchmaking isn't really pairing people by skill.

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 15, 2015, 03:04:36 pm »
+13

They're going to start a closed beta for the Android version, letting in only people who have been helpful during the previous beta (which sounds very problematic, as it means the developers themselves would have to be excluded).

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 15, 2015, 03:08:40 pm »
+2

At least all the cards are implemented correctly, which is more than can be said for when Goko launched.  Though we shall see how well they manage to implement Adventures...
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 15, 2015, 03:12:24 pm »
+4

I don't understand how it can be hard to implement Adventures.  If dougz can implement Figures in the Sand with 99.9% accuracy because he's bored surely a paid company with exclusive rights to a massively popular board game can implement a card set that is mostly permutations of other cards.

Jean-Michel

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jean-Michel
  • Respect: +44
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 15, 2015, 03:16:24 pm »

Weird, I thought the Android version had already been released. I actually downloaded it earlier today, but now it has apparently vanished from the store.

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
  • Respect: +1346
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 15, 2015, 03:18:52 pm »
+2

As of now, it's still up. The suspense is almost too much for me!

I'm gonna open double Curse

Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 15, 2015, 03:19:57 pm »
+2

surely a paid company with exclusive rights to a massively popular board game can implement a card set that is mostly permutations of other cards.

Obviously this isn't the case.  And don't call me Shirley.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 15, 2015, 03:22:54 pm »

Weird, I thought the Android version had already been released. I actually downloaded it earlier today, but now it has apparently vanished from the store.

Apparently that was a mistake, and they've taken it down now.

Also, their update alert system seems to be working perfectly, if a little snarky.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 15, 2015, 03:29:40 pm »
+3

I don't understand how it can be hard to implement Adventures.  If dougz can implement Figures in the Sand with 99.9% accuracy because he's bored surely a paid company with exclusive rights to a massively popular board game can implement a card set that is mostly permutations of other cards.

Well there's a lot of stuff to add/change. Depending on how many wrong assumptions they made when coding the other cards/mechanics, it could be pretty tough. The cards that are actually just permutations of other existing mechanics are: Page, Peasant, Raze, Amulet, Dungeon, Gear (assuming e.g. Tactician and Haven are coded correctly), Magpie, Messenger, Port, Artificer, Lost City, Storyteller (I assume that paying all your $ and drawing that many cards is trivial to code), Treasure Trove, Soldier, Fugitive, Disciple, Warrior, and Hero. That's 18 things out of the 58 that are in Adventures. That's not "mostly" permutations of other cards, not by a long shot. They have to implement:

• The concept of Events in general, including making space for them in the Supply area. (Alms, Quest, Save, Scouting Party, Travelling Fair, Bonfire, Expedition, Mission, Trade)
• The Tavern mat. (Miser, Distant Lands, Wine Merchant)
• Calling stuff from the Tavern mat at the start of a turn or when you gain a card. (Ratcatcher, Guide, Transmogrify, Duplicate)
• The much more difficult task of calling stuff after you play an Action without making you click ten million times per turn. (Coin of the Realm, Royal Carriage)
• Duration cards that stay out more than one turn (Champion, Hireling)
• Duration Attacks that may effect players on their turn (Swamp Hag, Haunted Woods)
• Playing cards on other players' turns (Caravan Guard)
• The -1 Card token (Relic, Borrow, Raid)
• The -$1 token (Bridge Troll, Ball)
• The vanilla bonus tokens (+1 Card, etc.) (Training, Lost Arts, Pathfinding, Seaway, Teacher)
• The -$2 cost token. (Ferry)
• The Trashing token. (Plan)
• The Journey token. (Giant, Ranger, Pilgrimage)
• The Estate token, which I'm guessing is going to be an absolute bear to implement correctly. (Inheritance)

That's a lot of stuff to code and test.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 03:31:33 pm by LastFootnote »

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
  • Respect: +1346
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 15, 2015, 03:35:58 pm »

http://logs.prod.dominion.makingfun.com//20151015/log.547b6e2be4b01abc4d7dbd6d.1444937573586.txt
I watched a video on YouTube (I am sure many of you have) where Sasha (one of the players) recommended buying Villages, then Estates. I won the Village split 9-1 and the Estate split 8-0. Sadly, Sasha had never said what to do once those two piles were gone, so I prepared to pile drive the Curses. My clever opponent, however, had other ideas. With a suprise three-pile that I am sure will shock you, I do recommend Sasha's strategy. It served me well, and I could've won that game.

RIP Goko
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 15, 2015, 03:40:15 pm »

I think for RC/CotR what there needs to be is just a little button: "Call a Reserve card."  It hovers in the spot currently taken by "End Actions".  The only reason you should ever be asked if you want to call RC (this does not apply to CotR in the least, we can make assumptions like there are for Moat) should be when you involve Throne Room et al.  Golem and Herald in particular will need this.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 15, 2015, 03:41:14 pm »

Well there's a lot of stuff to add/change. Depending on how many wrong assumptions they made when coding the other cards/mechanics, it could be pretty tough. The cards that are actually just permutations of other existing mechanics are: Page, Peasant, Raze, Amulet, Dungeon, Gear (assuming e.g. Tactician and Haven are coded correctly), Magpie, Messenger, Port, Artificer, Lost City, Storyteller (I assume that paying all your $ and drawing that many cards is trivial to code), Treasure Trove, Soldier, Fugitive, Disciple, Warrior, and Hero. That's 18 things out of the 58 that are in Adventures. That's not "mostly" permutations of other cards, not by a long shot. They have to implement:

• The concept of Events in general, including making space for them in the Supply area. (Alms, Quest, Save, Scouting Party, Travelling Fair, Bonfire, Expedition, Mission, Trade)
• The Tavern mat. (Miser, Distant Lands, Wine Merchant)
• Calling stuff from the Tavern mat at the start of a turn or when you gain a card. (Ratcatcher, Guide, Transmogrify, Duplicate)
• The much more difficult task of calling stuff after you play an Action without making you click ten million times per turn. (Coin of the Realm, Royal Carriage)
• Duration cards that stay out more than one turn (Champion, Hireling)
• Duration Attacks that may effect players on their turn (Swamp Hag, Haunted Woods)
• Playing cards on other players' turns (Caravan Guard)
• The -1 Card token (Relic, Borrow, Raid)
• The -$1 token (Bridge Troll, Ball)
• The vanilla bonus tokens (+1 Card, etc.) (Training, Lost Arts, Pathfinding, Seaway, Teacher)
• The -$2 cost token. (Ferry)
• The Trashing token. (Plan)
• The Journey token. (Giant, Ranger, Pilgrimage)
• The Estate token, which I'm guessing is going to be an absolute bear to implement correctly. (Inheritance)

That's a lot of stuff to code and test.

The only one of those that seems like it would be hard is the Estate token, and that's only if they actually go to the trouble of using a sturdy implementation that is a true representation of what is happening, and not a quick hack.  After seeing how they resolved the "JackOfAllTrades" log bug I expect a quick hack so I'm not really seeing that many man-hours.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 15, 2015, 03:43:12 pm »
+2

I think for RC/CotR what there needs to be is just a little button: "Call a Reserve card."  It hovers in the spot currently taken by "End Actions".  The only reason you should ever be asked if you want to call RC (this does not apply to CotR in the least, we can make assumptions like there are for Moat) should be when you involve Throne Room et al.  Golem and Herald in particular will need this.

Yes, exactly. That's all new interface stuff that will have to be coded.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 15, 2015, 04:12:52 pm »

Well, I read a post somewhere where they said 7 cards were already coded. I'm guessing it was the super easy cards like Port.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 15, 2015, 04:14:41 pm »
+5

Well, I read a post somewhere where they said 7 cards were already coded. I'm guessing it was the super easy cards like Port.

Part of me wishes we could buy Adventures now and just use the cards as they're implemented.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 15, 2015, 04:15:19 pm »

Part of me wishes we could buy Adventures now and just use the cards as they're implemented.

I would totally be up for this. If I recall correctly, Goko did it for Alchemy because they had a hard time implementing Possession.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 04:17:04 pm by Beyond Awesome »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  All

Page created in 1.591 seconds with 21 queries.