Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 23  All

Author Topic: MAKiNG MORE FUN: Mod for Dominion Online 2.0  (Read 171987 times)

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
Re: MAKiNG MORE FUN: Patch for Dominion Online 2.0 (Windows)
« Reply #150 on: October 15, 2015, 08:10:06 pm »
+2

Does it find the first initial that doesn't match?

No, you'll just have to distinguish by color.

Speed patch for 2.0.43 now ready too. It should even be a little bit faster than the previous one.

assemble_me

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: assemble me
  • Dominion stream/yt junkie
  • Respect: +808
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: October 16, 2015, 03:30:23 am »
+1

Btw: While we're talking about it in the other thread, do you have a chance to control button positions?

So, uh.. is it just me, or should the buttons for making selections (Hamlet) be in a different place than the buttons for ending a particular phase?

That has been a problem with Goko since 2012.

Isn't that kind of layout 101?
That's why Salvager had those extra buttons I loved that much. I've said it before that those Buttons should not be in the same spot at all. There are other obnoxious things like when you overpay and you have Potions and the buttons get bigger once you don't have a Potion in your "cash pool" any more and stuff like that. They've always been there but yeah, there was some hope MF would think about the layout before re-implementing all silly UI design decisions Goko has made... but no. (I haven't played with Potions and overpay yet but I just assume it's all the same)
Join the f.ds Dominion league | My Twitch channel

... and none of his posts shall remain unedited

SCSN

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: October 16, 2015, 12:07:27 pm »
+2

It's possible in the sense that since the buttons are there, there must be something controlling their placement, and that something must run on your computer. So it becomes a matter of finding that something, figuring out how it works, and then changing its behavior.

I found some stuff related to buttons, but I've yet to figure out how their placement works.

Incidentally, if you (or anyone else) is interested in helping out: please do. More people looking can only be a good thing, especially since I'm slowly becoming oblivious to things that might be hiding in plain sight because of the half-conscious process of "I've looked there before, I didn't find it then, so I don't expect to find it now" and thus not even really looking anymore.

You don't need any special skill besides being able to read code. I recommend .NET Reflector (14-day free trial) or DotNet Resolver. In case you also want to try editing IL code, the latter has this ability built-in but it's quite limited and buggy, while in the former it works great but you'd have to download the free Reflexil add-on.

Right now I'm interested in three things: moving the buttons, moving opponent's counters so they aren't hidden beneath the avatar, and changing the font of the in-game log to that of the chat/post-game log.

Some/most/all of these might be impossible without patching the .exe file, so if someone figures out how to decompile that thing that could help as well.

pedroluchini

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +205
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: October 16, 2015, 03:32:45 pm »
+1

I think this is a dead-end:

Some/most/all of these might be impossible without patching the .exe file, so if someone figures out how to decompile that thing that could help as well.

As far I know, the game code is entirely contained in the .dlls and the .exe file is just a stub that launches them.

My basis for this claim is this: a few years ago I played around with Unity and I still have builds for 3 different projects on my hard drive. The .exe files for these 3 projects are identical (I did a binary comparison, and every single byte matches).

Sorry I can't offer any concrete help... The MF client doesn't even run on my laptop.

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1758
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: October 19, 2015, 02:55:20 pm »

The regular patch for 2.0.43 is now ready, but I'm curious if there's still interest in this one or whether I can just focus exclusively on the speed version.

Right now the regular one is just the updated log + nicer Masq/Bane reveal color. Is there anyone who really likes these features but hates the high speed version?

I haven't had a chance to try this out yet, but I think I would prefer a version that doesn't completely eliminate animations.

I'd be interested in trying to help out, but may not have a ton of time available immediately. Do you have a repository you are using to track your changes?

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
  • Respect: +1097
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: October 19, 2015, 03:35:23 pm »

So this patch is just speed at this point, or does it turn animations off even more than MF's "minimal" setting?

I'm honestly curious how it could make MF faster at this point, I suppose I should try it out, as I had to slow down their speed setting from its max because I was loosing track of what was happening.

I would be more interested in a feature to change the font of the log than the text colors of the log, btw, if that feedback is relevant. Changing the background to something with a better contrast (ie not jet-black) would be sweet.

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #156 on: October 19, 2015, 04:14:18 pm »
+3

Personally I am happy with the minimal animations settings as it is now, though I appreciate SCSN working on this before we knew that was going to be a thing.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: October 20, 2015, 01:16:34 am »

A speed patch is much appreciated. As it is, it is way, way, way too slow for my preferences. I am going to download this and try it out.

SCSN

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: October 20, 2015, 11:37:25 am »

So this patch is just speed at this point, or does it turn animations off even more than MF's "minimal" setting?

The normal patch just gives the updated log and changed Masq highlight color, nothing else.

I'm honestly curious how it could make MF faster at this point, I suppose I should try it out, as I had to slow down their speed setting from its max because I was loosing track of what was happening.

The high-speed patch sets all flight times and artificial delays to zero, effectively disabling things like the Hunting Party and Scrying Pool reveal animations: the cards you draw appear in your hand immediately (up to server latency), just like they did on iso. As on iso, if you want to know what got discarded with HP you have to check the log.

You may think "man, I want to see those nice informative reveal things", but once you try this out you realize you really don't: they slow down the game by a relatively insane amount, you usually don't care what gets revealed, and the few times you do it passes by so fast that you want to check the log anyway. Just having to always check the log makes for a much faster, and, counterintuitively, more relaxing experience. Of course your mileage may vary.

I might make a video today or tomorrow briefly showcasing the high-speed patch so that people can see for themselves before/without downloading anything.

I would be more interested in a feature to change the font of the log than the text colors of the log, btw, if that feedback is relevant. Changing the background to something with a better contrast (ie not jet-black) would be sweet.

I haven't found a way to change the log font yet, but I read on the MF forums that Jeff would like to see this changed as well, so there's even a chance they might get to it before I do.

I'd be interested in trying to help out, but may not have a ton of time available immediately. Do you have a repository you are using to track your changes?

Right now it's all in my head, but if you let me know when you think you'd have some time to spare I'll try to have some sort of log available by then.

Deadlock39

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: October 20, 2015, 12:45:11 pm »

Right now it's all in my head, but if you let me know when you think you'd have some time to spare I'll try to have some sort of log available by then.

Okay, don't worry about setting anything up for now unless you get to a point where you want to do that.  If I find some time, I'll see if I can get the code decompiled and start looking for ways to move hidden information around (or something else if you've already figured it out).  If I get that far, we can look at ways to share changes.

JW

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: JW
  • Respect: +1793
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: October 26, 2015, 01:07:28 pm »

The normal patch just gives the updated log and changed Masq highlight color, nothing else.

Thanks for this, speed patch is great. Is there a way that you can make it so that the log shows the full player names at the very start of the game? If I'm going first, it's strange not to know who I'm playing until after my first buy! Sorry if this has already been covered.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: October 26, 2015, 04:58:11 pm »
+1

Thanks for this, speed patch is great. Is there a way that you can make it so that the log shows the full player names at the very start of the game? If I'm going first, it's strange not to know who I'm playing until after my first buy! Sorry if this has already been covered.

Yah. That is so annoying. Along with the chat interface it makes the game much more impersonal.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12870
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #162 on: October 26, 2015, 05:00:03 pm »
+2

I would actually like some sort of delay when I'm playing with Possession because the log doesn't tell me what cards I have in my hand. I don't know if it's possible to make it happen for just Possession though, probably not.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 05:01:09 pm by Awaclus »
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: October 26, 2015, 05:35:54 pm »
+1

I would actually like some sort of delay when I'm playing with Possession because the log doesn't tell me what cards I have in my hand. I don't know if it's possible to make it happen for just Possession though, probably not.

The correct solution isn't a delay, the correct solution is to allow you to toggle to view your hand.  Though doesn't the log show what you drew from the previous turn?

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12870
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #164 on: October 26, 2015, 05:42:29 pm »
+1

Though doesn't the log show what you drew from the previous turn?

No, and this is actually what I requested on MF's forums.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

SCSN

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: October 27, 2015, 05:53:48 am »
+4

Yes, that's possible. My first try was this:

But then I thought "hey, this could be a neat way to also highlight shuffling throughout the game" and ended up with this:

Updated patch (speed only).

SCSN

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: October 27, 2015, 06:10:33 am »

I've looked into it a bit and will look into it a bit more, but it's probably not going to happen. Hopefully MF will write the cards to the log.

Deadlock39

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: October 27, 2015, 03:59:23 pm »

I've looked into it a bit and will look into it a bit more, but it's probably not going to happen. Hopefully MF will write the cards to the log.

Except, (not that it couldn't be changed but...) I'm pretty sure the log that is shown during the game is the "public" log, and doesn't contain any information that isn't available to all players. (The same log is probably sent to all players.)

sc0UT

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: sc0UT
  • Respect: +106
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: October 27, 2015, 04:18:55 pm »
+1

For people who already moved to 2.0.43, here is a quick patch that changes the log to make it more readable:

It's funny, player name truncation doesn't effect coin and vp icons in the log. They still appear at the same spot as with full names.

Edit:
Watch this for example. 15:00min - Awaclus turn 11.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 06:27:11 pm by sc0UT »

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
  • Respect: +1676
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: October 27, 2015, 05:37:10 pm »

The correct solution isn't a delay, the correct solution is to allow you to toggle to view your hand.  Though doesn't the log show what you drew from the previous turn?

Maybe this has been answered elsewhere, but are you allowed in F2F Dominion to look at your previous hand during your Possession turn? At that point it's not your turn with your deck. It's your turn with your opponent's deck. I could see how someone would interpret the rules such that you can't look at your own deck during this Possession turn.

Nevermind: just re-read the rules. It seems pretty clear you can see both hands.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 05:40:40 pm by Cave-o-sapien »

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Accatitippi
  • Silver is underraided
  • Respect: +1797
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: October 27, 2015, 05:41:34 pm »

Maybe this has been answered elsewhere, but are you allowed in F2F Dominion to look at your previous hand during your Possession turn? At that point it's not your turn with your deck. It's your turn with your opponent's deck. I could see how someone would interpret the rules such that you can't look at your own deck during this Possession turn.

Well it's technically their turn, and I don't see why you shouldn't be allowed to look at your hand during other players' turns. ;)

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
  • Respect: +1676
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: October 27, 2015, 05:45:20 pm »

Yes, that's possible. My first try was this:

But then I thought "hey, this could be a neat way to also highlight shuffling throughout the game" and ended up with this:

Updated patch (speed only).

This is a big improvement. It's SO MUCH EASIER TO READ.

One thing I would experiment with is making shuffles even more noticeable by putting a full line of tildes before or after a shuffle. Maybe it would look terrible, maybe it would help.

SCSN

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: October 28, 2015, 04:03:20 am »
+4

One thing I would experiment with is making shuffles even more noticeable by putting a full line of tildes before or after a shuffle. Maybe it would look terrible, maybe it would help.

How about this:

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: October 28, 2015, 09:16:40 am »
+13

How about this:

I think the words "shuffle" should shake around, like it's shuffling.  Maybe also with some blinking or sparkling, or general pyrotechnic animations. 

SCSN

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: October 28, 2015, 09:28:47 am »
+3

I think the words "shuffle" should shake around, like it's shuffling.  Maybe also with some blinking or sparkling, or general pyrotechnic animations.

The place for these sort of requests is here. I'm sure they'll be so in love with your idea that they'll make it their top priority.

In other news, the updated patch is now available for download.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 23  All

Page created in 2.475 seconds with 21 queries.