Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Grand Market - purchase order question  (Read 3860 times)

Kergord

• Pawn
  • Respect: +4
    • View Profile
Grand Market - purchase order question
« on: September 14, 2015, 03:27:29 am »
+2

First off, my apologies if the answer is elsewhere in these fora.  I looked through all the posts first and couldn't find what I was looking for.

In a recent game, I had 2 buys and enough Gold, Silver and Copper to buy a Grand Market and a Province.  Bearing in mind the no Copper rule for Grand Market, I bought that first with a Gold and 2 Silver and then attempted to buy a Province with Gold, Silver and 3 Copper.

My 2 opponents objected to the Grand Market purchase as I now had Copper in play.  My argument that I didn't when I made the purchase didn't make a difference and rather than press it, I withdrew the Copper and bought a Duchy instead.

So, does the order of the purchases matter?  Would using Copper in the 2nd buy, count against the initial Grand Market purchase?

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1887
    • View Profile
Re: Grand Market - purchase order question
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2015, 03:32:52 am »
+9

During your buy phase, first you play any number of treasures, then use the money to buy thing(s). You can't play more treasures after you buy the first thing. Grand Market doesn't care which money you use, either, so it's not like you can get away by spending the Copper money elsewhere; if there's any Copper in play, you can't buy Grand Market.

Kergord

• Pawn
  • Respect: +4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2015, 03:37:15 am »
+2

So all the coin has to lay down first.... I think I just had a forehead slapping moment!

Thank you.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2015, 04:08:07 am »

The only time when you can play Treasures twice is when playing Black Market.

Black Market creates a special "Black Market" phase (though it isn't explicitly called that) where you can play some or all Treasures to purchase one (or none) of the revealed cards. At the end of your turn your regular buy phase happens and you can play the rest of your Treasures if you hadn't done so already during the BM phase.

For example: Play Black Market, reveal Grand Market from the BM deck, play 2 Silvers (so you have $6 with BM's own $2), buy GM. Now during your buy phase, you can play any number of Coppers and GM doesn't care.

Also beware of playing your Coin tokens in time. You can't do this: Play Treasure, buy something, play Coins, buy something else. Everything you want to spend has to be played in one go. And just to be complete: You can't use Coins to buy from the Black Market, only actual Treasure cards (and virtual money provided by cards with +$X).

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2015, 09:32:15 am »
+8

Another thing to note that will help avoid confusion with other things... it's not correct so say that you buy a Grand Market "with a Gold and 2 Silver", or that you "attempted to buy a Province with Gold, Silver and 3 Copper." You don't use specific treasure cards to buy cards. Treasure cards are just cards that produce "coins" (not related to coin tokens) when you play them, just like playing a Grand Market or a Woodcutter does. You then use these coins to buy cards. So there's no type of tracking about using certain treasure cards for some things and others for other things; you can't "buy things with treasure cards."
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2015, 01:52:31 pm »

Black Market creates a special "Black Market" phase (though it isn't explicitly called that) where you can play some or all Treasures to purchase one (or none) of the revealed cards. At the end of your turn your regular buy phase happens and you can play the rest of your Treasures if you hadn't done so already during the BM phase.

For example: Play Black Market, reveal Grand Market from the BM deck, play 2 Silvers (so you have $6 with BM's own $2), buy GM. Now during your buy phase, you can play any number of Coppers and GM doesn't care.

Also beware of playing your Coin tokens in time. You can't do this: Play Treasure, buy something, play Coins, buy something else. Everything you want to spend has to be played in one go. And just to be complete: You can't use Coins to buy from the Black Market, only actual Treasure cards (and virtual money provided by cards with +$X).
Storyteller?

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2015, 03:19:35 pm »

Storyteller?

I thought about making that same reply, but decided that it wasn't needed; because Davio was talking about playing treasures for the purposes of buying.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3458
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2015, 06:06:47 pm »
+2

The wording of this is really confusing. You can use coins (as in +$X) for Black Market, you can't use coin tokens. These aren't the same thing. I'm sure you knew this, but referring to coin tokens as coins can mess some people up.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2015, 10:07:09 am »
+3

The wording of this is really confusing. You can use coins (as in +$X) for Black Market, you can't use coin tokens. These aren't the same thing. I'm sure you knew this, but referring to coin tokens as coins can mess some people up.

Welcome to Dominion, where "action" can either be a card-type or a virtual resource that you collect and spend during the game; and "coin token" can either be a thing that you trade for "coins" or a token that marks how much your Pirate Ship is worth.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2015, 12:34:51 pm »

Welcome to Dominion, where "action" can either be a card-type or a virtual resource that you collect and spend during the game; and "coin token" can either be a thing that you trade for "coins" or a token that marks how much your Pirate Ship is worth.

Well, he was talking about coins vs. coin tokens, for which Dominion does have separate names that Davio neglected to differentiate.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2015, 12:53:49 pm »

Well, he was talking about coins vs. coin tokens, for which Dominion does have separate names that Davio neglected to differentiate.

This is true, but the names are still similar enough that it's easy to refer to both as "coins", thus causing the problem.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2015, 03:49:23 am »

This is true, but the names are still similar enough that it's easy to refer to both as "coins", thus causing the problem.
Well, I did say coin tokens in the first sentence and henceforth referred to them as coins.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.777 seconds with 21 queries.