Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: Thanks for helping me win!  (Read 15088 times)

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12870
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
Re: Thanks for helping me win!
« Reply #50 on: October 13, 2015, 07:53:39 am »
+3

I don't think that it's Dominion's popularity that it's the problem — as has been pointed out, it is insanely popular. It's just that the vast majority of players are casual players who never enter a tournament, which is probably because Dominion doesn't have the kind of official support for tournaments that Magic does. Magic has a ton of tournaments that are very easy for casuals to enter, such as FNMs and pre-release tournaments, and then they have bigger tournaments which attract high-level players and motivate not-so-high-level players to become better at the game. Dominion has funky national championships with invisible advertising where one 4p base-only game determines the winner.

Since RGG is a small company, it might be too much to hope for the same level of IRL official tournament play that Magic has. However, it doesn't take a big company to have lots of tournaments online, so if Making Fun wants to implement a tournament system with smaller tournaments to attract casuals and bigger tournaments to give casuals an incentive to stop being casuals, it could happen some day.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
Re: Thanks for helping me win!
« Reply #51 on: October 26, 2015, 03:47:29 am »

Magic also does a very good job of keeping itself on the radar by constantly releasing new sets and there are many formats so you can find which one you like best. And there's the obvious "Magic is popular because it's popular", there's a whole scene for it with major tournaments and pros which makes it easier to keep a large player base which makes it easier to host tournaments, etc...

Why do many people in the Netherlands play soccer instead of American Football? It's just the default sport here, much like Magic is the default serious card game. By being the default sport there are a lot of opportunities to play it (many local clubs) at all levels (amateur like myself all the way to pro) and it's what your friends are playing as well.

Even if Dominion would be the second most popular card game, Magic has such a big chunk and the overall player base is too small for it to really take off.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 1.202 seconds with 20 queries.