Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10  All

Author Topic: Standardizing "normal" roles  (Read 24623 times)

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
    • View Profile
Re: Standardizing "normal" roles
« Reply #200 on: October 15, 2015, 10:05:57 am »

And of course this only shifts the discussion towards defining "countering" actions. Like, I assume that Commuter is countering stuff. But I completely disagree with the notion that a Strongman should be able to kill a Commuter.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: October 15, 2015, 10:43:38 am »

Example: A strongman roleblocker fails to block a target if he is redirected while that target is jailkept.

... so is he redirected or blocked, in this case? What if he is redirected to two different people instead? Are you sure you want to put redirections in the same category as "counters"?

Those questions would be answered by order of actions determinations -- so it would go through whatever happens first, not second.

Well, I for one still think that Strongman should be restricted to protective roles.

Other than that, I'm skeptical towards the introduction of a new category, "countering". We already have enough categories, and this is particularly confusing because it will mean roles will fall into two or more categories that overlap each other. And I don't see a use for the "countering" category other than Strongman, so maybe we shouldn't define a whole new thing just for one role.

Well, I was looking for a word that made sense when comparing two roles that are in opposition.  It isn't a category per se, more of a set of actions for any other given action.  Ones that "counter" it.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

chairs

• Young Witch
  • Why don't you have a seat over there...
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: October 15, 2015, 03:39:28 pm »

I think redirects should always counter strongman, because it's kind of a "role Judo" if you will - it doesn't stop the action, just redirects it to a different target. Commuters should be missed by Strongmen, as should Hiders, because the person isn't "breaking through protection", they're just "not present".

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: October 15, 2015, 03:50:46 pm »

I think redirects should always counter strongman, because it's kind of a "role Judo" if you will - it doesn't stop the action, just redirects it to a different target. Commuters should be missed by Strongmen, as should Hiders, because the person isn't "breaking through protection", they're just "not present".

I agree with this interpretation. 

chairs

• Young Witch
  • Why don't you have a seat over there...
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: October 15, 2015, 04:15:55 pm »

That being said, let's say you do a strongman kill and I redirect you to someone with 1-shot BP - your strongman still should impact that person, barring any other effect.

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: November 02, 2015, 01:32:04 am »

I just realized I meant to post in this discussion back when it was happening but must have forgotten.

So, on the topic of roles vs. modifiers: I think a modifier should be anything that changes how a role behaves.  Some of the things that mafiascum lists as modifiers are nonsense (like Bulletproof).  Whenever possible, it is better to define something as a modifier rather than a role, because this maximizes our flexibility it creating unique role combinations.  For example, if Ninja is taken to be a modifier, rather than a role, we can now have something like a (Ninja Roleblocker) Cop, whose roleblocking ability is untrackable, but whose copping ability is not.  If Ninja is only a role, then a Ninja Roleblocker Cop can only mean someone who can roleblock and cop and cannot be tracked at all.  Of course, making it a modifier still lets us do this by just having a (Ninja Roleblocker) (Ninja Cop).

So I think it's generally best to make things modifiers rather than roles whenever possible.  If it's nonsensical to make it a modifier, then it has to be a role.  Saying that Bulletproof is a modifier is silly because what would it even mean for a (Bulletproof Roleblocker) Cop to have his roleblocking ability be bulletproof, but not his cop ability?  That is nonsense because Bulletproof is a role, not a modifier.

It's possible that some modifiers can modify modifiers, but I don't think this is a necessary component of modifiers.  For example, a (1-shot Ninja) Cop is different from a 1-shot (Ninja Cop).  In the first case, the ninja modifier is 1-shot, meaning that the copping ability will last forever, but can only be made untrackable once.  In the second case, the copping ability is inherently untrackable, but can only be used once.  On the other hand, ninja cannot modify modifiers.  A (Ninja 1-shot) Cop is not defined (whereas a Ninja (1-shot Cop) is perfectly fine, and in fact equivalent (barring maybe some bizarre edge cases) to a 1-shot (Ninja Cop) (though it does not necessarily need to be the case that modifiers are commutative like this)).

In fact, it occurs to me now that not all modifiers need to be defined to modify all roles.  For example, "Ninja Bulletproof" is nonsense, while "1-shot Bulletproof" is fine and "Ninja Roleblocker" is fine.  So there is nothing wrong with either ninja as a modifier or bulletproof as a role, but attaching that particular role to that particular modifier makes a nonsensical expression.

Another important modifier that I'd like for us to have is active/passive.  For many roles this will be automatic with the role (for example, you'd never have a passive doctor).  In other cases, it will be implicit with the role, but maybe not necessary (for example, bulletproof would default to passive, but you could make it active if you want (meaning that the player would have to specify at night when he wants the ability is activated)).  For passive roles, we would want to clarify whether they are mandatory, or just default to automatically activating every night.  For example, a passive ninja might, for whatever reason, want to make himself visible to trackers.  We should have a ruling pre-set on whether this is possible.

Okay, so now let's talk about strongman, ninja, etc., the kinds of modifiers that usually modify killing abilities.  We want these to modify factional abilities.  If I say that someone is a Mafia Ninja, the natural assumption is that this means that, when he performs the kill, the kill will be untrackable.  I think this should be the standard notation for practical purposes, but it should only be considered as shorthand for "Mafia Goon with a Ninja modifier for performing the factional kill".  Ninja itself is not a role, it can only be defined as modifying other roles.  To say that someone is truly a Mafia Ninja, rather than a Mafia Goon with a Ninja modifier for performing the factional kill, is undefined.  Furthermore, we want to have a way to distinguish between a Mafia Ninja Roleblocker, whose Ninja modifier applies only to the Roleblocking, and Mafia Ninja Roleblocker, whose Ninja modifier applies only to the factional kill, and Mafia Ninja Roleblocker, whose Ninja modifier applies to both the Roleblocking and the factional kill.  Maybe we could get away with writing the second one as "Mafia Roleblocker Ninja" (the idea being that now Ninja is no longer modifying Roleblocker, and by default, when not followed by a role, "Ninja" applies to factional abilities), but we'll still need a way to distinguish between the first and the third.  Actually, by the convention in the previous parenthetical, we could take the first one to be "Mafia Ninja Roleblocker", and the third one would be "Mafia Ninja Roleblocker Ninja".

I think that works.  So the tl;dr of that paragraph is I think we can say that whenever we have [modifier] not followed by a role, [modifier] is taken to apply to all factional abilities.

So I think the nomenclature I've described so far will actually be consistent and unambiguous and will give us as much flexibility as possible in coming up with powers that may combine various roles and modifiers (in such a way that players can determine precisely how a power will behave upon seeing its name, without needing to ask the mod).  The need for parentheses in some cases is a little ugly, and I'm wondering if there's a workaround for that.  It may be best to separate unrelated roles and/or modifiers with a comma, though I think this will never be necessary, unless there is a role that has the same name as a modifier (in which case I think the best fix is simply to rename one, as this makes it easier to distinguish them anyway and helps players remember the precise difference between their behavior).

Since not all combinations of modifiers and/or roles will be associative, the default should be to work from left to right, unless there are parentheses.  For example, a Passive 1-shot Active Ninja Roleblocker would be a player who automatically uses this power's shot, and when the shot is consumed, the player may choose whether to make his ninja ability active.  Regardless, the player is able to roleblock every night.  If we wanted the Roleblocking to be a part of the 1-shot, we should have said Passive 1-shot Active (Ninja Roleblocker).  Either way, this is obviously a very silly role, but I'm just trying to show off how flexible the language can be.

When I started writing this post I wasn't really intending to go this deep into it, but I think this system would work really well.  There are probably some other kinks to work out, like what if a faction has two factional abilities, and you want the modifier to apply to exactly one of them.  JoaT-type abilities can be done with disjunctions and conjunctions but the more I think about them the uglier they get.  It's fine if it's just a combination of 1-shot abilities (then you can just say "1-shot Cop and 1-shot Doc and 1-shot Roleblocker and 1-shot Tracker"), but if you want them to be able to use 3 shots during the game without reusing any of the abilities, it gets really ugly (still technically possible but not reasonable).  Maybe we need a separate way of defining JoaT-type abilities and making the specifics of its mechanics clear.

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: November 02, 2015, 07:06:47 am »

That was actually a fun read.

Role combinations need some extra work I think. Say someone has two roles, a Roleblocker and a Cop. There are three ways to do such a role:

A) the player always uses both abilities on the same target
B) the player always uses one ability of their choice on a single target
C) the player chooses two targets to be affected by the respective abilities.

For A, I think we need a modifier corresponding to the role. The role would then be a "Roleblocking Cop" (or a "Copping Roleblocker" - these have minor differences in interaction with other roles).
For B, I suggest the phrasing Roleblocker/Cop, the slash indicating that you can only choose one of them, and C would be a Roleblocker Cop.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: November 02, 2015, 07:27:04 am »

On Bulletproof:

I think the old interpretation that BP is a modifier and not a role is based on the way we assign the role.  A town player who is bulletproof and nothing else receives:

"You are a Bulletproof Townie" in their PM.  They do not receive "you are a Bulletproof" only.  Because "a BP" doesn't make sense when worded as such.  It feels more natural to say the BP is an add-on to a role, except that we most often seen it associated with VT.

Now, we could always say "You are Bulletproof" or "You are Bulletproof the first time you are shot" (for 1-Shot, for example) to work around that problem.

When you think about it, alignments are just role modifiers, too.

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: November 02, 2015, 11:24:34 am »

Well, what you say is true, but I don't think we should decide modifier vs non-modifier by asking "is the flavor an adjective or a noun?"

I don't like to think about alignments as role modifiers, really. On one hand, alignment does not change the way the role works. On the other hand, if alignment was a modifier, you could also have no modifier. But you cannot play while having no alignment (except in Bastard I guess?).

Of course it depends on how we want to structure this game... in theory I think it would work to only have one (targetting) role - "Visitor" - and produce every other role by adding modifiers to that.

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: November 02, 2015, 06:19:49 pm »

That was actually a fun read.

Role combinations need some extra work I think. Say someone has two roles, a Roleblocker and a Cop. There are three ways to do such a role:

A) the player always uses both abilities on the same target
B) the player always uses one ability of their choice on a single target
C) the player chooses two targets to be affected by the respective abilities.

For A, I think we need a modifier corresponding to the role. The role would then be a "Roleblocking Cop" (or a "Copping Roleblocker" - these have minor differences in interaction with other roles).
For B, I suggest the phrasing Roleblocker/Cop, the slash indicating that you can only choose one of them, and C would be a Roleblocker Cop.

Yeah, I like this.  This might also help with some of the possible JoaT-type roles.

On Bulletproof:

I think the old interpretation that BP is a modifier and not a role is based on the way we assign the role.  A town player who is bulletproof and nothing else receives:

"You are a Bulletproof Townie" in their PM.  They do not receive "you are a Bulletproof" only.  Because "a BP" doesn't make sense when worded as such.  It feels more natural to say the BP is an add-on to a role, except that we most often seen it associated with VT.

Now, we could always say "You are Bulletproof" or "You are Bulletproof the first time you are shot" (for 1-Shot, for example) to work around that problem.

When you think about it, alignments are just role modifiers, too.

Again, I agree with faust.  Even though it's grammatically a modifier, it's functionally a role.  So even if you want to say "Bulletproof Townie" because it sounds better, it should still be thought of as though "Bulletproof Townie" is the role, rather than thinking of "Bulletproof" as the modifier and "Townie" as the role.  The reason for this is that it's nonsensical to have Bulletproof modify any role other than Townie (and it's also arguably nonsensical for Bulletproof to modify Townie, too).

Unfortunately, we'd also like for it to be possible for mafia players to be bulletproof, so naming the role "Bulletproof Townie" would be misleading.  No matter what the resolution for this is, I think it should be made clear that whatever follows "Bulletproof" by default is only there by convention, and is not actually part of the role (unless it's something non-standard, like "Bulletproof Cop", in which case we now have two separate roles, BP and Cop).

Also, I don't agree with alignments being modifiers.  I mean, it would be possible to come up with a consistent definition for them like that, but I don't think it's helpful.  Having an alignment defines your win con, and sometimes comes with factional abilities.  It should generally be possible to layer modifiers, but it's not possible to layer alignments (if it is, we'd want to be able to define clearly how that works; does the player have to meet all alignments' win cons, or just one of them?).  I think it's much easier to treat alignments as their own class.

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: November 02, 2015, 06:23:12 pm »

Also, I don't agree with alignments being modifiers.  I mean, it would be possible to come up with a consistent definition for them like that, but I don't think it's helpful.  Having an alignment defines your win con, and sometimes comes with factional abilities.  It should generally be possible to layer modifiers, but it's not possible to layer alignments (if it is, we'd want to be able to define clearly how that works; does the player have to meet all alignments' win cons, or just one of them?).  I think it's much easier to treat alignments as their own class.

To make the issue with this clearer, what would it mean for me to be a Town Cop Mafia Roleblocker?  How can my copping ability be town-aligned, while my roleblocking ability is mafia-aligned?  Treating alignments as role modifiers should mean that it's possible for roles to be modified independently by different alignments, but that doesn't make any sense when you have two independent roles modified by different alignments on the same player.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: November 03, 2015, 01:19:43 am »

To make the issue with this clearer, what would it mean for me to be a Town Cop Mafia Roleblocker?  How can my copping ability be town-aligned, while my roleblocking ability is mafia-aligned?  Treating alignments as role modifiers should mean that it's possible for roles to be modified independently by different alignments, but that doesn't make any sense when you have two independent roles modified by different alignments on the same player.

In your example, it could be the role can cop town players and roleblock Mafia players, as an example.

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: November 03, 2015, 02:58:12 am »

In your example, it could be the role can cop town players and roleblock Mafia players, as an example.

Well, I'm sort of confused now.  What you originally said was that alignments are just role modifiers, which I disagree with.  What it sounds like you're saying here is that a modifier can be defined so that its effect and name depend on the name of an alignment, which I can agree with.

Let me take a step back and explain what I think roles and modifiers really are, because I think we're not really in agreement there.  A role is something that directly changes a player's abilities in some way.  Sometimes it will give him a power he can use every night.  Sometimes it will give him a passive ability that triggers under certain conditions (like bulletproof when he is shot, or lynchproof when he is lynched).  Sometimes it may even give him a passive ability that doesn't have a specific trigger condition (he can only post in rhymes (though arguably this triggers every time he posts, I can't think of a better example right now)).  The point is, a role directly affects the player.

A modifier, on the other hand, directly affects a role.  I can be both Bulletproof and a Roleblocker, but I can't target you with a bulletproof roleblocking ability, because it doesn't make sense for bulletproof to modify roleblocking.  If am a roleblocker and a cop, a modifier should be something which can apply to either one of those abilities independently of the other.  Ninja is a modifier, because I can be a ninja roleblocker without being a ninja cop, or I can be a ninja cop without being a ninja roleblocker, or I can be both a ninja cop and ninja RB, or I can be a RB and cop who is not a ninja at all.  The ninja can apply to whatever combination of roles I want.  Likewise, x-shot is a modifier for the same reason, as well as some other things like strong-willed, weak, arguably strongman (depending on how we end up defining it).

So if we want to classify alignments, I think there are three possibilities:
1. They are a role
2. They are a modifier
3. They are their own class of thing (they're not roles, they're not modifiers, they're just alignments)
I think 3 is the most reasonable, but 1 could maybe work too.  The thing is, everyone needs a win con, and we don't usually want players to be able to have two alignments, so 3 seems more reasonable than 1.  But I don't see a case for 2.  Alignments don't affect roles are used.  I can't be a Cop Town Roleblocker.  I can be a Cop Ninja Roleblocker, or a Cop 1-shot RB, or a Cop Weak RB.  These are all phrases we can understand.  But if I'm town-aligned, that's it, it doesn't matter which of my roles is town-aligned.  I'm just town and now I know what win con to play for and that doesn't change how my roleblocking works.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: November 03, 2015, 03:05:56 am »

I see what you mean, and recognize it is a valid way of defining things.

I'm saying that alignment modifies a role.

I also think that we have to agree that Townie and Goon (for "good" and "evil" players) are roles.  Those don't have to be the standard names, but they have been to this point.

So, Vanilla is a modifier, in my worldview.  So is Mafia or Werewolf.  See my two recent Shakespeare games as examples.  They included two Goons ("evil" roles) modified by alignment ("mafia" and "werewolf") as well as by 1-Shot BP and Odd/Even-Night.

Now, sometimes, for flavor, you see Werewolf without the "goon" or Mafia by itself.  But you still see "Mafia Roleblocker" as a role, and not a "Roleblocking Goon" as a role.  Which is why I think goon = role.

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: November 03, 2015, 06:18:48 am »

This discussion made it clear to me that the separation "role/modifier/alignment" is much harder to keep up than I thought.

When I think of alignment, I want this to only mean the win condition. So the alignment "mafia" is functionally equivalent to "town": The win condition is "you win when all threats to your faction are eliminated, and there is at least one member of your faction left alive".

But in this context, the alignment "mafia" does not come with what we usually associate with it: nighttalk and a factional kill. If you want to this to be not tied to alignment - and it should not be because the role Traitor exists - then you'd have to give each mafia player a role that reads "Part-time Vigilante Mason". (Part-time vig simulates factional kill; Mason means "has a QT with other players who are confirmed to have the same alignment") This way of doing things is complicaed and still does not cover some edge cases (I.e. Neapolitan or similar roles do not work as intended).

But tying it to the alignment also seems bad form, because that's really not what "alignment" means. Also, their is the Traitor.

Another option would be to introduce so-called "factions". Every player may be part of a faction. Factions are groups of people who share a common power of different sort. Standard factions would be: Mafia, Masons, Neighbors. There can also be others, wich is cool. What I don't like is that we need to introduce a new notion for this, but it's still my preferred option.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: November 03, 2015, 07:31:20 am »

I think "factions" is right because of factional powers.

I used these for both town and scum in Dune 2 (I think), for example.

I also think we can use alignment modifiers to assign players to factions.  So, the alignment modifier of mafia also includes within the definition of that modifier that you are included in the mafia faction.

Factions may or may not have other powers associated with them, such as day/night talk, kills, etc.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: November 03, 2015, 07:44:18 am »

In an attempt to get one definition agreed upon and done, how about this one?  I'd just like to have a template, at least.  Is anything missing, do we disagree anywhere?  Remember, this is to standardize the definition of how X-Shot works as a modifier.

X-Shot (modifier)

--When applied to a day or night action, limits the number of times that action can be used to X.
          Example: A 1-Shot Cop may attempt to investigate another player only one time per game.
          Example: A 3-Shot Vigilante may attempt to kill another player only three times per game.

--Shots are limited to one per day or night, depending on the action.  See Multiple Use for modifying roles to be used more than once per game phase.

Commonly modified actions: bulletproof, kills, doctor
Related Modifiers: Even-Night, Odd-Night

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: November 03, 2015, 07:45:36 am »

I also think we can use alignment modifiers to assign players to factions.  So, the alignment modifier of mafia also includes within the definition of that modifier that you are included in the mafia faction.

Well, this doesn't work for Traitors... I mean, you could say the alignment modifier gives faction membership and the Traitor role strips it again from you... but in this case, isn't Traitor more like a modifier to the alignment? And having a mechanic that gives something out and than strips it again is somehow unelegant if you can find a way to just not hand it out in the first place.

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: November 03, 2015, 07:50:11 am »

X-Shot

I think it should include that it can also be applied to modifiers, e.g. Ninja.

Also, there should be a standard as to whether the usage of the shot is active or passive. Usually, we understand that a "1-shot Cop" uses his shot as an active choice, while a "1-shot Bulletproof" just triggers when targetted. But the template should specify a universal standard.

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: November 03, 2015, 07:53:32 am »

Oh, and

--Shots are limited to one per day or night, depending on the action.  See Multiple Use for modifying roles to be used more than once per game phase.

I think that you can only use 1 shot of a power per night is a universal rule and does not have anything to do with this modifier in particular, right? The way this is phrased also technically means that if you have a 2-shot Bulletproof that is targetted by two killing actions in the same night phase, they will die... I don't think it should work like that.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: November 03, 2015, 08:11:45 am »

X-Shot (modifier)

--When applied to a day or night action, limits the number of times that action can be used to X.
          Example: A 1-Shot Cop may attempt to investigate another player only one time per game.
          Example: A 3-Shot Vigilante may attempt to kill another player only three times per game.

--When applied to a role modifier, limits the number of times that modifier can be used to X.
          Example: A 2-Shot Ninja Roleblocker may make his roleblocking undetectable only twice per game.
          Example: A 1-Shot Ninja Factional Kill may make the faction's night kill undetectable only once per game.

Commonly modified actions: bulletproof, kills, doctor
Related Modifiers: Even-Night, Odd-Night

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: November 03, 2015, 08:12:16 am »

Oh, and

I think that you can only use 1 shot of a power per night is a universal rule and does not have anything to do with this modifier in particular, right? The way this is phrased also technically means that if you have a 2-shot Bulletproof that is targetted by two killing actions in the same night phase, they will die... I don't think it should work like that.

I cut this, if we all agree that one use per night is the standard for all roles we don't need it.

I added the modifier part.

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: November 03, 2015, 02:58:19 pm »

X-Shot

I think it should include that it can also be applied to modifiers, e.g. Ninja.

Also, there should be a standard as to whether the usage of the shot is active or passive. Usually, we understand that a "1-shot Cop" uses his shot as an active choice, while a "1-shot Bulletproof" just triggers when targetted. But the template should specify a universal standard.

I think x-shot should default to inherit activity/passivity from whatever role or modifier it modifies.  Since cop defaults to active, the 1-shot in 1-shot cop also defaults to active.  Since Bulletproof defaults to passive, the 1-shot in 1-shot BP defaults to passive.  Mods can still break the default by saying "active 1-shot Bulletproof" if they like.

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: November 03, 2015, 03:04:36 pm »

I see what you mean, and recognize it is a valid way of defining things.

I'm saying that alignment modifies a role.

I also think that we have to agree that Townie and Goon (for "good" and "evil" players) are roles.  Those don't have to be the standard names, but they have been to this point.

So, Vanilla is a modifier, in my worldview.  So is Mafia or Werewolf.  See my two recent Shakespeare games as examples.  They included two Goons ("evil" roles) modified by alignment ("mafia" and "werewolf") as well as by 1-Shot BP and Odd/Even-Night.

Now, sometimes, for flavor, you see Werewolf without the "goon" or Mafia by itself.  But you still see "Mafia Roleblocker" as a role, and not a "Roleblocking Goon" as a role.  Which is why I think goon = role.

That last sentence doesn't mean that Goon is a role.  It just means that roleblocking is not a modifier, which I think is something we already agree on.  I see "Goon" and "Townie" not as being roles, but as placeholders to denote the absence of a role.  If I'm a Mafia Goon, that means I'm Mafia-aligned and I have no role.  If I'm a Mafia Roleblocker, I'm not a Goon anymore because I'm Mafia-aligned and I have a role.  That being said, I don't think it hurts anything to treat "Townie" and "Goon" as roles.  I just don't think it's necessary, since they don't change what a player can do, and I don't think there are any modifiers that could change how they behave.

However, I disagree that Vanilla can work as a modifier.  I think, like "Goon" and "Townie", "Vanilla" is a placeholder to denote the absence of a role.  To see why it cannot be a modifier, just try applying it to different roles.  Could I be a Vanilla Roleblocker?  If I'm a Cop/Vanilla Roleblocker, what does it mean for my roleblocking ability to be vanilla, but not my copping ability?  The phrase doesn't make sense, because Vanilla is not a modifier.  It doesn't change what roles do.  It's just there to clarify that you don't have any roles.

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: November 03, 2015, 03:08:03 pm »

Well, this doesn't work for Traitors... I mean, you could say the alignment modifier gives faction membership and the Traitor role strips it again from you... but in this case, isn't Traitor more like a modifier to the alignment? And having a mechanic that gives something out and than strips it again is somehow unelegant if you can find a way to just not hand it out in the first place.

I agree that it's inelegant, but I think it's the only reasonable way of doing it.  It's so much more common for "Mafia" to come with factional abilities than it is for Traitors to be present in a game, that I think we really want to be able to just say "Mafia Goon" and have it be implied that the player gets a factional night kill and night chat with all other mafia-aligned players.  The Traitor role is then a special thing that just takes away those abilities.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10  All

Page created in 0.058 seconds with 19 queries.