Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Horn of Plenty and Counterfiet  (Read 6173 times)

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
  • Respect: +1346
    • View Profile
Horn of Plenty and Counterfiet
« on: September 17, 2015, 03:38:50 pm »
+1

What happens if you Counterfeit a HoP? Can you gain two victory cards?
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

iguanaiguana

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: iguana iguana
  • Respect: +1044
    • View Profile
Re: Horn of Plenty and Counterfiet
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2015, 03:43:46 pm »
+5

What happens if you Counterfeit a HoP? Can you gain two victory cards?

1) you play the horn of plenty twice, then you trash it.
2) yes.
Point iguana. Not that points really matter with a result, but still.
Igu is town or trying the hardest he ever has as scum.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12870
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2015, 03:45:49 pm »
+13

It's worth noting that if you gain a Victory card on your first play, the HoP is no longer in play so it doesn't count towards the number of unique cards for the second play.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2015, 05:20:35 pm »
+2

Follow all instructions, in order, literally:
  • Play Counterfeit
    • Play Horn of Plenty
      • Gain a card costing up to the number of differently named cards you have in play, including Counterfeit and Horn of Plenty. Let's say you had 5 different cards. You gain a Duchy.
      • Horn of Plenty says it gets trashed because you gained a victory card, so you trash Horn of Plenty.
    • Play Horn of Plenty a second time
      • Gain a card costing up to the number of differently named cards you have in play. This includes Counterfeit, but Horn of Plenty is no longer in play, so it doesn't count (assuming you didn't have another one from before). You can only gain a $4 or less. You gain an Estate.
      • Horn of Plenty says it gets trashed because you gained a vp card. You try to trash it, but fail, because it has lost track, and it's already in the trash.
    • Counterfeit says to trash Horn of Plenty. You try to do so, but fail, because it has lost track of it, and it's already in the trash.
  • Buy cards if you want, you have the $1 from Counterfeit, and any other coins you had from the turn, and an extra buy from Counterfeit.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 05:30:27 pm by GendoIkari »
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1384
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2015, 05:29:47 pm »
+16

For more juicy goodness, try Counterfeiting a Horn of Plenty, and using it to gain a Mandarin and an Inn. Counterfeit tries to trash the Horn of Plenty, but fails because it doesn't know where it is, and neither do you.
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

iguanaiguana

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2015, 09:20:33 am »

For more juicy goodness, try Counterfeiting a Horn of Plenty, and using it to gain a Mandarin and an Inn. Counterfeit tries to trash the Horn of Plenty, but fails because it doesn't know where it is, and neither do you.

This makes me want to design a kingdom where something like this could actually be a good tactical move. It doesn't seem too far fetched given a few other support cards. Maybe stables so that you have draw and want treasures in your deck...

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2015, 09:37:25 am »

Beware when Counterfeiting Horn of Plenty that HoP is no longer in play when you gain something (because you trashed it) and doesn't count toward your number of different cards.
So if you have 7 cards in play and are counting on HoP being number 8, don't use Counterfeit to trash it!

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12870
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am »

Beware when Counterfeiting Horn of Plenty that HoP is no longer in play when you gain something (because you trashed it) and doesn't count toward your number of different cards.
So if you have 7 cards in play and are counting on HoP being number 8, don't use Counterfeit to trash it!

Actually that's not quite right. Counterfeit doesn't trash the HoP until you've already gained the two cards. So, you could still Counterfeit a HoP to gain a Province and a Duchy (but not two Provinces because the HoP trashes itself after the first one).
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1758
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2015, 11:17:45 am »
+2

Actually that's not quite right. Counterfeit doesn't trash the HoP until you've already gained the two cards. So, you could still Counterfeit a HoP to gain a Province and a Duchy (but not two Provinces because the HoP trashes itself after the first one).

Exactly.

Another example would be, (if HoP is your 8th unique card and you are Counterfeiting it) you could use it to gain a Prince and then a Province, but you could not use it to gain a Province and then a Prince.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2015, 11:18:53 am by Deadlock39 »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2015, 06:33:58 pm »

Exactly.

Another example would be, (if HoP is your 8th unique card and you are Counterfeiting it) you could use it to gain a Prince and then a Province, but you could not use it to gain a Province and then a Prince.

I'm guessing you'd need some specific edge cases to make it so that gaining a Prince and a Province is the right move, over gaining 2 of either of them.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4443
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2015, 06:45:43 pm »
+1

Exactly.

I'm guessing you'd need some specific edge cases to make it so that gaining a Prince and a Province is the right move, over gaining 2 of either of them.

You really want to play Followers every turn.

Simon (DK)

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Sirusc
  • Respect: +218
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2015, 05:16:49 am »

Exactly.

There's only 1 Province left, and you need Prince for your Fairgrounds.
Or there's only 1 Prince left.

Marcory

• Minion
  • Respect: +1207
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2015, 11:39:19 pm »

You have just gotten a Tournament from the Black Market. Naturally, you want to Prince it and need a Province. You have a deck that can be drawn every turn but doesn't yet produce $8, (you got the HoP/Counterfeit from Mine or Taxman or some such), so you want to Prince the tournament next turn but also want to have a Province available. Don't ask me when such a scenario would actually occur; maybe with University or something.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 12:07:30 am by Marcory »

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2015, 02:16:58 am »

Oh yeah, that's what I meant, you get $1 less for the second play. :)
But then again HoP already trashes itself when you gain a VP card.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

iguanaiguana

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2015, 09:32:03 am »

You have just gotten a Tournament from the Black Market. Naturally, you want to Prince it and need a Province. You have a deck that can be drawn every turn but doesn't yet produce $8, (you got the HoP/Counterfeit from Mine or Taxman or some such), so you want to Prince the tournament next turn but also want to have a Province available. Don't ask me when such a scenario would actually occur; maybe with University or something.

Or it could just be a colony game... You want to prince the tournament so that it is more likely to collide with your province every shuffle, and having more than one province would be bad self junking.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2016, 11:19:20 am »

Sorry to necro, but what's really getting me is that Horn of Plenty says "per differently named card you have in play, counting this."  So if I Counterfeit HoP, the second play should still count HoP, even if I gained a Victory card the first time, because HoP explicitly says to count itself.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2016, 11:50:09 am »
+1

Sorry to necro, but what's really getting me is that Horn of Plenty says "per differently named card you have in play, counting this."  So if I Counterfeit HoP, the second play should still count HoP, even if I gained a Victory card the first time, because HoP explicitly says to count itself.

Well it still only counts if it's actually in play.  :P

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2016, 12:19:28 pm »
+2

Well it still only counts if it's actually in play.  :P

Right, the "counting this" means "consider this card when looking at all the different unique cards that you have in play." So you do consider it. Then you reject it, because it isn't in play.

mameluke

• Duke
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2016, 08:45:37 pm »

It's a misprint. Donald really meant it to say, "per differently named card you have in play, Counting House."

transportowiec96

• Alchemist
  • Respect: +20
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2016, 12:58:04 pm »

Why nobody told me a card such as "Counterfiet" exists? :P

Haddock

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Haddock
  • Doc Cod
  • Respect: +559
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2016, 01:42:55 pm »
+4

i before e except... shit.
The best reason to lynch Haddock is the meltdown we get to witness on the wagon runup. I mean, we should totally wagon him every day just for the lulz.

M Town Wins-Losses (6-2, 75%): 71, 72, 76, 81, 83, 87 - 79, 82.  M Scum Wins-Losses (2-1, 67%): 80, 101 - 70.
RMM Town Wins-Losses (3-1, 75%): 42, 47, 49 - 31.  RMM Scum Wins-Losses (3-3, 50%): 33, 37, 43 - 29, 32, 35.
Modded: M75, M84, RMM38.     Mislynched (M-RMM): None - 42.     Correctly lynched (M-RMM): 101 - 33, 33, 35.       MVPs: RMM37, M87
Pages: [1]

Page created in 2.544 seconds with 20 queries.