Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Play badly or risk not playing?  (Read 17203 times)

Idec Sdawkminn

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +6
    • View Profile
Play badly or risk not playing?
« on: September 09, 2015, 10:21:59 pm »
+4

Hey there. So last year I bought Dominion for my wife since it was the best game for 2 players on her Christmas list (others were Ticket To Ride and Munchkin). I was happy because she's not a huge fan of my favorite game, 7 Wonders, because she doesn't like games where she has to think a lot and would rather just have fun with the people she is playing with. I had played Dominion once with my friends and she had played it thrice before. We finally opened it the other night since most other nights we were binge watching shows. Well, we played several games, enjoying it quite a bit. I won most of the games, but she found out she really likes the Witch and beat me with it.

The problem is, neither of us caught onto the possibilities of the cards or the limitations of Coppers. Chapel? Yeah, maybe if the other player has a Witch and you want to get rid of the Curses. What good is it otherwise? We considered it one of the worst cards in the game. She always bought an Estate when she couldn't afford anything else, bought a Copper whenever she couldn't afford that, and always used extra buys on Coppers. If I played Thief and took one of her Coppers, I'd be happy and she'd be bummed. Then she'd do the same to me. It was completely backwards, but we were having fun. We never trashed anything and got huge, bloated decks with lots of terminal collision and the games took a while.

After the first game, which we played as the recommended first game, I looked at the cards of that kingdom to see what I could have done better and the Village and Smithy stood out to me. I immediately thought of buying a bunch of those. "That would be insane!" I thought. But none of the other randomly-generated kingdoms we played after that contained any Villages, and the one that had a Festival didn't have any draw that I remember, so I didn't get to try it out.

So then, like I do when I get into something, I went online to read some strategy and naturally came upon this site. Using Chapel to trash all your opening cards once you get a Silver? How could that possibly be good? Wouldn't you just have a bunch of hands without any money? Wait, but without those opening cards, you only have the cards you bought, which is hardly any by that point. So you draw that Silver and remaining coppers all the time, then other Silvers you bought, and... (mind blown). My wife knew I had read about it online and she was immediately disappointed. That meant I'd get much better at a much faster rate than she would and it wouldn't be fun anymore. She doesn't like reading strategy articles and for the most part, doesn't like thinking about the game when she's not sitting down to play it.

Well, next time we played there was a Village and Smithy and I tried out my previous idea, combined with Chapeling and I completely dominated. She said, kind of tragically, "Well, I guess you found a better way to play." When we brought it to my parents' house and introduced my mom and brother-in-law to it, we played First Kingdom again and I made another Village/Smithy/Market/Militia engine. My turns took a lot longer than everyone else's and with most of my Actions being Village, Smithy, or Market, it seemed to my wife that I was just doing a bunch of pointless Actions that didn't amount to anything or benefit me in any way. I even ended the game by Remodeling a Province when there were 2 left, then buying the last one. To her that seemed like a jerk move. That's not the way to have fun. That's the way to win at any cost.

She still wants to play, but I fear that she will want to less and less if I keep playing this way. I think to her, she thought it was the kind of game that was meant to be played the way she and her friends played it, and if it turns out that it is the kind of game that is meant to be played how I do, she won't like it much anymore. I think she feels like I'm finding loopholes in the rules that weren't meant to be exploited, like finding a glitch in a video game that lets you skip to the last level instead of playing through the whole game like how you are supposed to. I don't know if she will want to learn how to play it better. I've already told her about the BM strategy and she didn't like the sound of that, either. I don't want to keep playing in a way that she will view as me just being difficult and almost cheating, when, in her mind, things would be so much better and more fun if I just played it like everyone else she knows and not always trying to be different and disrupting the status quo.

Of course, this could just be me over-analyzing and making a mountain out of a mole hill and maybe she would really like to know a better way to play. Has anyone encountered a similar situation? What happened and how did it go?

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
Re: Play badly or risk not playing?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2015, 10:36:27 pm »
+13

The hardest part of Dominion strategy: How do I play casually without upsetting casual players?

Honestly, I don't think she has the right attitude about the game if she's considering good strategies in poor taste, but it is what it is. People approach the game in all kinds of ways. Unfortunately, there are a lot of players who see the long turns from better players as 'non-interactive,' even though sometimes they also have such long turns and could be learning how to play efficient engines too. I have seen the same thing as you have happen when playing Dominion with others, even online. Some people don't enjoy competing, adapting to new play styles, or thinking hard about the games they play. It says something for the game that they can still enjoy Dominion in spite of not caring about the strategy. I have even encountered players who were surprised a competitive community existed at all because the game seemed so random to them. I don't have any (good) advice for you. Some people are going to recommend handicapping yourself or something like that, but I feel that is worse than just always winning. The issue is ultimately your wife's attitude about it (Not saying she's being unreasonable, she just has no reason to think about the game the way you/we do), not yours, so there is no good reason to make such a compromise.

I hate to say it but you may just have to look to other games and play Dominion with her sparingly. Maybe try some cooperative ones; Hanabi is fun. I can tell you from experience it's not fun making your partner angry because you beat them at a game and being in a dumb fight about something so ultimately unimportant; I've been there.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

yuma

• Minion
  • Respect: +609
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2015, 10:48:04 pm »
+1

This advice only works if you have other expansions, which I recommend anyways... But with other expansions you become automatically handicapped when learning new cards. And then when you have a better grasp of cards you can try zannier strategies that will sometimes work and sometimes utterly fail. Zannier strategies don't really exist with just base because of the limited options.

I would also say that playing 3-4 player games tend to mitigate the issue you are talking about to a slight extent. Or as a last resort you can use the equivalent of the online "zaps" to boost her deck from the start with a silver instead of a copper from the outset or other similar zaps if she is ok with the idea that she needs a head start.

But really the game gets better with more expansions, but if she doesn't like the game an expansion might be tough to sell to her.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2015, 11:48:18 pm »
+1

The thing about adding expansions for a more casual player is that a lot of the (relatively) newer cards put a more (from a casual perspective) obvious emphasis on "good" play, and some even reward the sillier plays.  It sounds like the best set to add would be Prosperity.  Anyone who likes buying Coppers with extra Buys is going to love Goons.  She likes Witch, Mountebank is Witch on steroids.  King's Court, Grand Market, Peddler, Worker's Village - these all encourage you to build ridiculous engines, particularly when Colonies are added.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Idec Sdawkminn

• Herbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2015, 12:23:16 am »

Thanks for the replies so far. It is good to not be alone in this. I do eventually want to get all the expansions, but I was going to go in order. I actually almost got Intrigue yesterday, but with school starting, our kids are needing a lot of supplies, so I'm holding off until we can be sure we can afford everything.

Regarding buying Coppers, I don't think it is necessarily something she likes doing. It just seems intuitively beneficial to her. It did to me, too, until I understood the concept of deck density. And I think it is easier for me to overcome my initial intuitions. I'm used to considering that I may be wrong about something. From a Myers-Briggs standpoint, I'm an ESTP and she's most likely an ISTJ.

Well, she wants to play tonight, and she brought it up, so I guess that's a good sign. And I can't really complain too much. I did get her into Doctor Who finally. It took a long time.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12870
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2015, 12:26:32 am »

Maybe try some cooperative ones; Hanabi is fun.

This. Hanabi accounts for probably 80% of the games I play IRL because for some reason, the other players don't seem to mind losing as much when I lose as well.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Idec Sdawkminn

• Herbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2015, 12:52:22 am »
+1

Maybe try some cooperative ones; Hanabi is fun.

This. Hanabi accounts for probably 80% of the games I play IRL because for some reason, the other players don't seem to mind losing as much when I lose as well.
Gah, the purples and blues look the same to me on the pictures!

But Hanabi seems like something she would really have a lot of fun with.

Update: So I talked to her some more about it tonight. We played another game and finally Laboratories were available (this is the first game they have come up). So the kingdom was Cellar, Chapel, Village, Workshop, Militia, Moneylender, Witch, Market, Laboratory, and Council Room. I was sitting there looking at the cards while she got her snacks and she said, "Don't just sit there and look at the cards!" because she was already dreading me coming up with some elaborate strategy and she could tell I was already hatching one. She said she just looks at them when she is trying to pick which card to buy. And she also said that I always beat her at every game we play, so me going online to get even better would just widen the gap between us that much more. And I agree to an extent, because it was really fun when we were both learning it together while playing it and both making all kinds of mistakes.

So I opened with Chapel and Silver on a 3/4 and she opened with Moneylender and Silver. I then trashed 3 Coppers and she rolled her eyes. I bought a Cellar with the remaining Silver. I bought a Market, then a Laboratory, some Silvers and Golds, more Markets, a couple Villages, then some Council Rooms since I needed a little more draw now that I was able to buy 1-2 Provinces per turn. I was drawing my deck a little more often than every other turn, and had to trash some Silvers to make it more consistent, leaving me with $17, including the Market money bonus. She bought a Militia that she never got to draw and used a Witch on me once. The Curse was easily trashed with Actions to spare and I was still able to draw my deck that turn, so it didn't affect me. I didn't buy a Witch because it wouldn't slow her deck down much and I didn't buy a Militia because doing one of those every turn would just make the game miserable for her.

I ended up with only 4 Provinces and she had the other 4, along with all 3 of her starting Estates. I was glad that she won, because that seems like losing the battle for the sake of the war. I was also experimenting, and this seems like a good time to experiment with things that may not work, especially if she is going to win when I do. I talked to her about maybe reading some of the strategy articles online and she said she doesn't learn by reading or hearing very well. She has to learn by doing. She also said she doesn't like the way I play because she doesn't like having a bunch of cards in her hand or in play at once. She likes doing 1, 2, or maybe 3 Actions per turn, then buying something.

But, she still wants to play regularly and with my family who also love card/board games, so that's good. I was thinking of having her watch Adam Horton's videos. Maybe those will help.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 03:03:15 am by Idec Sdawkminn »

xyz123

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +511
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2015, 02:40:33 am »

I have seen similar thing with some, but not all, of the people I play games with IRL. My local games shop also runs a games club and there are people there who will only play with their own Dominion house rules such as you can only play a maximum of 3 action cards per turn or you cannot reshuffle mid-turn.

I agree with the suggestion regarding Prosperity, as that will exaggerate the fact that Coppers are bad. I disagree with the Mountebank comments though. In my experience, people who still take Coppers with additional buys tend to dismiss it as a weak card.

Burning Skull

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Burning Skull
  • See you in the Outpost
  • Respect: +1843
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2015, 04:01:23 am »
+1

Maybe you could explain to her WHY are the coppers bad in most cases?

Here is a nice old article on that topic:
http://dominionstrategy.com/2012/02/27/the-keys-to-big-money-money-density-and-opportunity-cost/

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2015, 08:39:09 am »
+1

My mom has the same attitude. I can't really play Dominion with her anymore.

Learning a new expansion, even for experienced players, does put a handicap. Adventures was recently released, and I feel there are many cards I have a very limited grasp on.

I think Intrigue is a good next step in your case. My mom loves Intrigue, and the cards are pretty simple. There are some nasty attacks in Intrigue though, so she might get upset if you use these attacks in a very competitive fashion though. Ironically, Mountebank (and Goons) is the strongest attack in the game, and yet because of the copper gaining, many inexperienced players don't think it hurts them as much as say Witch.

Anyway, I think if you get Intrigue and then move up to Seaside and then Prosperity, you will be in good shape. Feel free to save Alchemy for later.

Also, if your wife doesn't want to get better, I wouldn't push it on her. You can also try playing Online. Your wife might not like it, but it gives you a chance to play against players at a similar playing level as you. The huge downside though is that you and your wife will likely never be able to play Dominion again.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 08:48:31 am by Beyond Awesome »

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2015, 08:54:39 am »
+18

I'd seriously consider divorce.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2015, 09:02:45 am »

That's an option as well.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2015, 09:30:27 am »
+2

I think this all has more to do with marriage and people than it does with the mechanics of Dominion.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12870
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2015, 09:59:56 am »
+3

There is no way I'd play badly on purpose. And by badly, i mean intentionally avoiding good play. It's one thing to try experimental strategies or long shots but another to avoid trashing coppers or buying Estates on $2 turns. The fact is, once I know better that isn't fun and fun is the point in playing.
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

BraveBear

• Bishop
  • Respect: +97
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2015, 10:50:07 am »
+4

I have a similar situation that happened to my gaming group about a year ago now.

The 3 of us started playing dominion early on, blind without even really reading the rules.  It didn't occur to us that the money on the militia meant +2 coins and not gain a silver, same with market but with copper.  Needless to say we had huge decks and we didn't stop the game until all of the green was bought.  The game took forever but it was so much fun and we eventually started playing within the rules.

What was really nice was we played one night a week maybe 3-4 games.  All 3 of us progressed at the same level.  Every couple months one of us would show up with a newly bought expansion.  We would then discover the cards and their power levels/combos together.  Everything was great!

Then around the time dark ages came out I started reading dominion strategy.  Then I started playing online.  I jumped far beyond them in skill.  They didn't have the desire to progress at the same speed and it turned from a group passion, to both of them dreading playing against me because I had read every card article and played hundreds of games online.

However it was fun while it lasted and think its a little different then the situation you have because you might be progressing a little faster then I did and your wife might be progressing a little slower then my friends did.  We still play from time to time and its mostly still fun. 

Something I would suggest is to design boards that force a more evenly matched game.  Craft a board with a weaker engine.  Don't play poorly on purpose, never do that.  I'm not even saying play a obviously weaker strategy.  When you have more expansions you can make kingdoms where the engine is the correct way to go however its hard to get there.  Example, if the only village is tribute, or a herald engine with only trade route as a trasher.  You can still make the games competitive and increase your knowledge of the game while keeping her in the game as well.  However if you keep playing kingdoms with wharf, fishing village, junk dealer, and butcher together your wife is going to lose interest haha.

Hope this helps.

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2983
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2015, 11:29:21 am »
+4

If you mainly want to play with your wife, I think it might be a good idea to stop reading about strategy. That doesn't mean stopping to try playing well, but it puts you in a more even position. If you figure out something new, she'll see it, and the other way around.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2015, 11:34:58 am »

I've tried to lose against people to whom I'm teaching the game, and have been unsuccessful so far. Seriously, I'll always open Village, then just buy random crap without trying to go too far (I don't buy Coppers and Curses and Estates). Yet I still end up winning.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2015, 11:42:49 am »
+1

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Scrub
http://www.sirlin.net/ptw-book/introducingthe-scrub

The Sirlin article is a bit condescending, but both get the point across that imposing rules on a game simply because you think it's "cheating" or "dishonorable", even though it's completely within the purview of the game's rules, is silly. I'd recommend reading through them yourself. If you know your wife won't take offense to being called a "scrub" or being told she's being silly, have her read them, too. If not, try to summarize the idea of moving past your current state of affairs. Your trashing and engines may not seem like fun to her now, but maybe you can get her to see past that and try to play to win by any means. That is, any means still allowed by the rules.

Another way could be to use alternate Victory cards, like Gardens, to try to have a different goal in mind while playing.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2015, 11:46:44 am »
+11

If you know your wife won't take offense to being called a "scrub" or being told she's being silly, have her read them, too.

You're not married, are you wero?

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2015, 11:46:54 am »
+3

When you play Scrabble,  you don't try to spell words incorrectly.

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2015, 11:49:28 am »
+7

I was thinking of having her watch Adam Horton's videos. Maybe those will help.

+1 for this, <3

Seriously, though, if your wife wants to get better like you and reading doesn't do it for her, videos are something that are totally worth trying. Live streams may scratch that itch if videos don't. I think it's important that she find someone she likes listening to and can relate to, so if that isn't me, maybe someone else will suffice.

As a newlywed, I am deeply offended that this comment got so many upvotes.

I'll offer some of my perspective, I guess...

I've played Dominion with my wife before, I play most games competitively which she really doesn't enjoy, so very few games have worked out that we (she) enjoys playing together. Some people just don't like to play competitive games, so if you enjoy that aspect of Dominion (like I do) then playing Dominion with her may just be a recipe for at least one of you to not be having fun. I'd like to think that since you married her, there are things you can do together that you both enjoy, so pushing Dominion may cause more harm here.

And there are plenty of other games that aren't competitive. Hanabi has been mentioned (my wife loves that) but there are the "creative" games, mostly party games, as well. Apples to Apples and similar games work, Pictionary and those kinds of things, there are some party games too that my competitive-gamer friends actually enjoy playing like Say Anything and Wits and Wagers. There are plenty of options out there.

In my group, I think a lot of people are intimidated to play Dominion with me. That's fine, those people seem to have played it several years ago and dismissed it for (clearly incorrect) reasons. But then there are some that get more into it and want to be competitive. They may or may not read about it online or watch videos, but they are good, want to get better, and don't mind losing to me because they know it makes them better, plus they get bragging rights when they win. If I had the choice (which I do), I'd prefer to play with these people often and have good, competitive games -- it is possible to be a lot better than the people you play with and still play a lot and have everyone enjoy themselves, it just takes a certain type of person.
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2015, 12:06:10 pm »
+5

I recall a game with a friend who was newish and Ambassador was in the kingdom. Initally looking over the cards he picked it up and said something like, "Why in the world would you ever want to give another player your cards". I gave him the correct answer and he seemed dubious so I told him that I would proceed to destroy him with the card in that game. I remember Market and Grand Market were in the kingdom as was Throne Room. He began thanking me for every copper and Estate I passed him until I started buying up the obvious unstoppable engine and piling out those cards and then the Provinces while he never put together a $5 hand. He took that as a valuable learning experience and appreciated the defeat as such. This is the mindset of a competitive Dominion player. I don't think OP's wife has the mindset of a competitive Dominion player and thus the game is probably not going to appeal to her even if she were to begin learning the better strategies.
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

assemble_me

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: assemble me
  • Dominion stream/yt junkie
  • Respect: +808
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2015, 01:00:26 pm »
+4

As a newlywed, I am deeply offended that this comment got so many upvotes.

I'm pretty sure Mic was just trolling and this isn't serious :).
I actually have the same problem. Started playing with my wife (back at that time GF), got pretty hooked with the stuff, read about strategies on the web, found Isotropic, found WW's videos. Soon after we played less until we stopped. So we eventually switched to other games. Race for the Galaxy is pretty nice, too ;)
Join the f.ds Dominion league | My Twitch channel

... and none of his posts shall remain unedited

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3458
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2015, 01:07:33 pm »
+2

You can casually play to the best of your ability without playing optimally. The trick is to silently give yourself some arbitrary limitations to challenge yourself.

Often when I'm playing with my partner, I'll see a few strategies on the board, and I won't pick the best one, but I'll play the alternate strategy to the best of my ability. I treat the game as more of an experiment than a competition - can I get a Woodcutter / Gardens deck to beat Smithy BM even if they have tons of support? Alternately ill challenge myself by not buying a certain card - can I build a draw engine without Library? This keeps you challenged and mentally engaged while also handicapping yourself.

In any case, when playing with people worse than you at the game I like to explain my pre-game thoughts out loud as to what cards are important and the advantages of particular strategies.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 2.338 seconds with 20 queries.