Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Dominions cards - buy  (Read 14652 times)

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions cards - buy
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2015, 12:38:10 pm »
+1

Man, I know Goko did this too, but having a fake little currency that forces you to overspend on what you want to buy is a really garbage move on Making Fun's part. It's adding insult to the injury of doubling their prices while reducing the game quality.

As libertarian as I generally am, I might actually support regulations that makes virtual currencies illegal under the same reasoning as other scams and false advertisements are. People should have a right to a clear view of how much a product or service actually costs, without being forced to go through a system designed to hide what you're really spending.

You're not forced to do business with the company at all though.  You are free to walk away.  Capitalism is handling this issue on its own, Hearthstone lets you buy products for cash directly in an upfront manner and is meeting wild success.

Are you sure you're a libertarian?  If there's any dishonesty regarding the virtual currency, sure, that's an issue, but when a company tries to jerk you around and play games with you, you don't need the government, vote with your dollar.

The point of the "as libertarian as I am" opening is that I know that what followed was contrary to libertarian views. Like if I were to say "as conservative as I am, I voted democrat recently". And I did say "might". Yes I'd much rather see the market correct it, but it doesn't seem to be happening. Scams and false advertisements are already illegal, and this seems like a form of that.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2015, 12:43:01 pm »
+5

You're not forced to do business with the company at all though.  You are free to walk away.  Capitalism is handling this issue on its own, Hearthstone lets you buy products for cash directly in an upfront manner and is meeting wild success.

If by "handling this issue on its own" you mean replacing iso first by Goko and then by MF, then, yes, it's doing an excellent job.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12870
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2015, 12:58:03 pm »

As libertarian as I generally am, I might actually support regulations that makes virtual currencies illegal under the same reasoning as other scams and false advertisements are. People should have a right to a clear view of how much a product or service actually costs, without being forced to go through a system designed to hide what you're really spending.

But what about free-to-suck-at-it MMORPGs etc, where you can buy in-game currency with real money?
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Aleimon Thimble

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Aleimon Thimble
  • Respect: +711
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2015, 01:04:14 pm »

If by "handling this issue on its own" you mean replacing iso first by Goko and then by MF, then, yes, it's doing an excellent job.

Speaking of capitalism handling this issue on its own, I'm secretly hoping that someone with a lot of free time on their hands and ample coding skills steps up and creates another Dominion client for the old price.

Which is part of the reason why I haven't purchased any expansions lately (I have 2 from Goko).
[...] The God of heaven has given you Dominion [...] (Daniel 2:37)

SCSN

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2015, 01:12:58 pm »
+6

That would be more like anarchy taking control because MF holds the exclusive license for online Dominion.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2015, 01:22:51 pm »

Isn't there a Japanese one available for free? It only had Base and Intrigue the last time I tried it, though.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2015, 01:23:44 pm »
+3

Speaking of capitalism handling this issue on its own, I'm secretly hoping that someone with a lot of free time on their hands and ample coding skills steps up and creates another Dominion client for the old price.

Which is part of the reason why I haven't purchased any expansions lately (I have 2 from Goko).

The only easy and moral thing to do is to hack Isotropic and steal the source code; then host it somewhere else.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2015, 01:30:22 pm »
+2

pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25712
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2015, 01:31:13 pm »
+2

Man, I know Goko did this too, but having a fake little currency that forces you to overspend on what you want to buy is a really garbage move on Making Fun's part. It's adding insult to the injury of doubling their prices while reducing the game quality.

I agree that ducats or whatever are garbage, but virtual currencies, man, they're all virtual.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2015, 01:38:53 pm »

I agree that ducats or whatever are garbage, but virtual currencies, man, they're all virtual.

I think I used the wrong terminology; I didn't mean virtual currency like in-game currency. Ban Coppers and Golds in Dominion! No, I meant when you have to purchase an in-between currency which does nothing but buy stuff that you should be able to just buy with real money instead.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
  • Respect: +1097
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2015, 02:22:34 pm »
+10

No, I think Donald knew what you meant. He was pointing out that the concept of money, any money, is virtual and oh god what is reality and suddenly the meaning of life oh no!

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2015, 03:09:47 pm »

No, I think Donald knew what you meant. He was pointing out that the concept of money, any money, is virtual and oh god what is reality and suddenly the meaning of life oh no!

You mean dollars aren't standard units of measure like meters and grams?  WHAT HAVE I BEEN DOING WITH MY LIFE
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2015, 03:25:48 pm »

They were, in a sense. At least for the duration of the Bretton-Woods monetary system.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
  • Respect: +1676
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2015, 03:37:16 pm »
+1

I think I used the wrong terminology; I didn't mean virtual currency like in-game currency. Ban Coppers and Golds in Dominion! No, I meant when you have to purchase an in-between currency which does nothing but buy stuff that you should be able to just buy with real money instead.

I think it's worth pointing out that Microsoft (after much criticism) did away with their virtual currency two years ago.

I think it makes sense in settings where you can earn "in-game money" through game play OR by simply buying it with real money. But if there's no way to earn in-game currency short of spending real money then it's kind of pointless.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 05:01:14 pm by Cave-o-sapien »

UmbrageOfSnow

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: Umbrageofsnow
  • Respect: +301
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2015, 03:46:11 pm »
+3

It's not pointless.  It's great for wringing a bit more money out of your customers that some of them don't realize they are spending and others of them are annoyed by!

SCSN

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2015, 03:53:12 pm »
+2

It's not pointless.  It's great for wringing a bit more money out of your customers that some of them don't realize they are spending and others of them are annoyed by!

The next step in their banking aspiration will be to periodically charge our credit cards for the service of keeping our unused Ducats readily available and safe.

UmbrageOfSnow

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: Umbrageofsnow
  • Respect: +301
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 10, 2015, 04:17:32 pm »
+3

The next step in their banking aspiration will be to periodically charge our credit cards for the service of keeping our unused Ducats readily available and safe.

Storing those Ducat numbers takes up space!  And they probably have to send it back and forth a bunch of times every time you do anything.  You expect them to provide the valuable service of tracking your leftover Ducat change for free?

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 10, 2015, 04:27:30 pm »
+12

Storing those Ducat numbers takes up space!  And they probably have to send it back and forth a bunch of times every time you do anything.  You expect them to provide the valuable service of tracking your leftover Ducat change for free?

Not to mention the full set of sparkly Ducat animations.

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3458
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 11, 2015, 04:21:34 pm »
+1

Just realized I missed this earlier:

Goko was actually *better* than this - 1 Gokoin always cost ten cents regardless of how many you bought at once. MF's price model is more exploitative.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 11, 2015, 04:27:31 pm »
+3

Just realized I missed this earlier:

Goko was actually *better* than this - 1 Gokoin always cost ten cents regardless of how many you bought at once. MF's price model is more exploitative.

Well Goko also made sets cost different amounts of Gokoins based on how you bundled them together. They may have fixed it at some point, but at one point, in order to pay the least possible for all sets combined, you had to purchase some specific bundles and some specific individual sets; because it cost more to just buy the "everything" bundle.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 11, 2015, 04:38:50 pm »

They did fix that later after everyone complained, fyi.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 11, 2015, 04:56:08 pm »

But didn't they fix it by making individual sets more expensive so that the cheapest option was the all-in-one?

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 11, 2015, 05:04:32 pm »

But didn't they fix it by making individual sets more expensive so that the cheapest option was the all-in-one?

Possibly, but that's not what we're talking about - that's just old-fashioned raising prices, which is different from hiding/shady prices.

Look, you'll get no disagreement from me that Goko sucked, I just want to be precise about why and how they sucked.  :)

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #48 on: September 12, 2015, 03:25:56 am »

I think the idea behind the all sets bundle was that it also came with a ton of useless crap (like Zaps or something I think), so you also had to pay for that.

drsteelhammer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: drsteelhammer
  • Respect: +1471
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 12, 2015, 09:11:10 am »

I bought the sets this year from Goko and it did not include anything besides the actual sets anymore (no zaps etc)
Join the Dominion League!

There is no bad shuffle that can not be surmounted by scorn.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 1.043 seconds with 21 queries.