Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Card Idea - Terminal Herald-ish  (Read 4935 times)

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
Card Idea - Terminal Herald-ish
« on: September 08, 2015, 09:54:10 am »

So I've been playing a fair amount of Hearthstone lately, and there's a new minion that draws 3 cards when played, putting any minions drawn directly into play.  That got me thinking.

Commander
- Action

Reveal the top 3 cards of your deck.  Set aside any Actions revealed and put the rest into your hand.  Play the set aside Actions in any order.

How exactly, if at all, could this be balanced?  It needs to compare favorably to both Herald and Golem, but not be strictly better than any pure terminal draw card, and at the same time not be so hampered in cost that it's unplayable.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Haddock

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Haddock
  • Doc Cod
  • Respect: +559
    • View Profile
Re: Card Idea - Terminal Herald-ish
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2015, 11:15:33 am »
+1

So I've been playing a fair amount of Hearthstone lately, and there's a new minion that draws 3 cards when played, putting any minions drawn directly into play.  That got me thinking.

Commander Wrynn
- Action

Reveal the top 3 cards of your deck.  Set aside any Actions revealed and put the rest into your hand.  Play the set aside Actions in any order.

How exactly, if at all, could this be balanced?  It needs to compare favorably to both Herald and Golem, but not be strictly better than any pure terminal draw card, and at the same time not be so hampered in cost that it's unplayable.
FTFY.

Seriously, though, I like the idea, it carries over quite nicely.  No idea about balancing it, though my first gut feeling is that costing it at 7 would not make it unreasonably expensive.  It's probably almost as powerful as King's Court in any engine.
The best reason to lynch Haddock is the meltdown we get to witness on the wagon runup. I mean, we should totally wagon him every day just for the lulz.

M Town Wins-Losses (6-2, 75%): 71, 72, 76, 81, 83, 87 - 79, 82.  M Scum Wins-Losses (2-1, 67%): 80, 101 - 70.
RMM Town Wins-Losses (3-1, 75%): 42, 47, 49 - 31.  RMM Scum Wins-Losses (3-3, 50%): 33, 37, 43 - 29, 32, 35.
Modded: M75, M84, RMM38.     Mislynched (M-RMM): None - 42.     Correctly lynched (M-RMM): 101 - 33, 33, 35.       MVPs: RMM37, M87

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2015, 11:20:00 am »
+2

The thing is, it will be very rare that this card isn't at least as good as "+3 cards, +1 action". The only time it's not really is if it finds no actions at all. And +3 cards, +1 action is a very strong card that I've seen talked about here, and some people have said that it's too strong at any cost.

Now perhaps that's wrong because being forced to play an action from one of the revealed cards is going to be a little worse than playing any action in your hand. But I'm not sure how much worse.

Also, you might want to exclude playing other Commanders here, like Golem does. It's not an issue for Herald because Herald only plays one card. But what happens if you reveal a Commander and a Village with your Commander play? You play your revealed commander, thus revealing 3 more cards. 2 of them are actions, so you set those aside along with your Village. You now have 3 set-aside cards, but set aside by 2 different effects. But Commander just says "the set aside actions", so this would technically include that Village. Or if you don't want it to, you have to have 2 separate "set-aside" zones. Currently nothing in Dominion can create 2 separate set-aside zones where you need to keep the 2 sets of cards separate.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 11:21:16 am by GendoIkari »
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12870
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2015, 11:20:50 am »

I'm pretty sure it has to cost at least $7, but probably more (with a buying restriction or Potion cost). It's a double lab if it hits one Action, Lab + Lost City if it hits two, and double Lost City if it hits three. It's not all that uncommon to have three Actions on the top of your deck.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2015, 11:22:09 am »

I'm pretty sure it has to cost at least $7, but probably more (with a buying restriction or Potion cost). It's a double lab if it hits one Action, Lab + Lost City if it hits two, and double Lost City if it hits three. It's not all that uncommon to have three Actions on the top of your deck.

And it's a Smithy if it hits no actions... but that should be a very rare situation. You won't be playing Commander Big Money.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2015, 11:22:30 am »

Currently nothing in Dominion can create 2 separate set-aside zones where you need to keep the 2 sets of cards separate.

Haven + Horse Traders can.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2015, 11:32:07 am »

Add "then end your action phase" to the end.

It would still cascade into itself for craziness and be pretty strong.

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Accatitippi
  • Silver is underraided
  • Respect: +1797
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2015, 11:41:51 am »
+1

Have it gain you a Scout.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2015, 11:59:28 am »
+1

I'd be interested in reducing it to 2 cards and costing it at $3. And making it so that it can't hit itself as Gendo suggests.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2015, 12:17:09 pm »
+1

And making it so that it can't hit itself
why do you hate fun

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2015, 12:19:40 pm »
+3

why do you hate fun

I've hated fun ever since Making Fun started making it.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5347
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2015, 03:36:48 pm »
+3

why do you hate fun

Tried it once. It was awful.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2015, 04:25:33 pm »

The thing is, it will be very rare that this card isn't at least as good as "+3 cards, +1 action". The only time it's not really is if it finds no actions at all. And +3 cards, +1 action is a very strong card that I've seen talked about here, and some people have said that it's too strong at any cost.

Now perhaps that's wrong because being forced to play an action from one of the revealed cards is going to be a little worse than playing any action in your hand. But I'm not sure how much worse.

Also, you might want to exclude playing other Commanders here, like Golem does. It's not an issue for Herald because Herald only plays one card. But what happens if you reveal a Commander and a Village with your Commander play? You play your revealed commander, thus revealing 3 more cards. 2 of them are actions, so you set those aside along with your Village. You now have 3 set-aside cards, but set aside by 2 different effects. But Commander just says "the set aside actions", so this would technically include that Village. Or if you don't want it to, you have to have 2 separate "set-aside" zones. Currently nothing in Dominion can create 2 separate set-aside zones where you need to keep the 2 sets of cards separate.

Even if Commander cannot play Commanders, wouldn't you run across the same issue with a Commander playing a Golem or Herald, (or Throne Room), which could in turn play other Commanders?

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2015, 04:41:46 pm »
+1

Even if Commander cannot play Commanders, wouldn't you run across the same issue with a Commander playing a Golem or Herald, (or Throne Room), which could in turn play other Commanders?

Interesting... so I guess this situation could exist currently:

Play Golem: Find 2 Heralds.
Play Herald #1: Find a Golem.
Play Golem #2, Find 2 other actions, while Herald #2 is still set aside from Golem #1.

Haddock

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Haddock
  • Doc Cod
  • Respect: +559
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2015, 07:00:32 pm »

You can avoid those problems by making it say +1 action per action card drawn.  Then there's no setting aside.  But obviously this makes it still more powerful as you then have no forced play and you can chain Commanders more easily.
The best reason to lynch Haddock is the meltdown we get to witness on the wagon runup. I mean, we should totally wagon him every day just for the lulz.

M Town Wins-Losses (6-2, 75%): 71, 72, 76, 81, 83, 87 - 79, 82.  M Scum Wins-Losses (2-1, 67%): 80, 101 - 70.
RMM Town Wins-Losses (3-1, 75%): 42, 47, 49 - 31.  RMM Scum Wins-Losses (3-3, 50%): 33, 37, 43 - 29, 32, 35.
Modded: M75, M84, RMM38.     Mislynched (M-RMM): None - 42.     Correctly lynched (M-RMM): 101 - 33, 33, 35.       MVPs: RMM37, M87

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1706
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2015, 07:22:45 pm »

Play Golem: Find 2 Heralds.
Play Herald #1: Find a Golem.
Play Golem #2, Find 2 other actions, while Herald #2 is still set aside from Golem #1.
Or Play Golem: Find two Throne Rooms when the only action cards in your hand are more Golems.

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2015, 07:42:12 pm »
+2

If you want to avoid problems with too much draw, just make it discard the non-actions.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2015, 07:59:14 pm »
+2

How about:

Commander
$7 - Action
Reveal the top 3 cards of your deck.  Choose a revealed Action card and put the other cards into your hand.  Play the chosen card.

It only plays one card so the nesting is only ever as bad as Herald's.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2015, 09:44:59 pm »

How about:

Commander
$7 - Action
Reveal the top 3 cards of your deck.  Choose a revealed Action card and put the other cards into your hand.  Play the chosen card.

This could actually work. It's a slightly weaker version of +3 cards +1 action, which might just be balanced at . Possibly .

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2015, 10:42:33 pm »

How about:

Commander
$7 - Action

This could actually work. It's a slightly weaker version of +3 cards +1 action, which might just be balanced at . Possibly .

:D

I would word it:

Reveal the top 3 cards of your deck.  If you revealed any Actions, set one aside, and put the other revealed cards into your hand.  If you set aside an Action this way, play it.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Pages: [1]

Page created in 2.226 seconds with 21 queries.