Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: One Vault, Two Tacticians, and Three Cellars: Pure, simple, and consistent  (Read 2806 times)

rrenaud

• Administrator
  • Uncivilized Barbarian of Statistics
  • Respect: +1197
    • View Profile
    • CouncilRoom
+1

We all spend a lot of time thinking about Dominion strategies.  Vault and Tactician would be great together, if only we could consistently draw them together.  And Cellar is usually a lesser Warehouse, unless we have a big hand of mostly crap, then it's much, much better than a Warehouse.  Hey, if we just Tacticianed, and there is no trashing, then our hand is likely full of lots of crap.

But only very rarely do we get to execute such a theoretically pure and consistent strategy.  Any particular 3 card combo is very unlikely to show up in a particular random set.  We are usually distracted by building up buying power and support for our intended combos, if there is even a combo to be played. We have the late game slogging through Duchy buys.  Occasionally even having to react to our opponent.  We make $6 and then $4, when we really wanted $5 and $5.

Vault, Tactician, Cellar.  An uber consistent $8 per turn.  Start with a Tactician, Cellar off many, find a Vault and a Tactician, Vault to one card left, play a Tactician, repeat.  Turn 10 to Turn 17, one Province per turn.

http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20111230-121121-093b1476.html

jotheonah

• Jester
  • Respect: +952
    • View Profile
Re: One Vault, Two Tacticians, and Three Cellars: Pure, simple, and consistent
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2011, 12:51:46 pm »

There's a certain perverse pleasure to watching him try to single-handedly activate his City-stack while you put away a Province each turn.  I'll definitely keep an eye out for these 3 together.
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4386
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2011, 03:17:01 pm »

Just vault and tactician work pretty well, too. Usually get vault, then tactician, then 2nd tactician, then 2nd vault. Then provinces all around. Cellar is probably a slight improvement on this, and a big one if you start 5/2.

timchen

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: allfail
  • Respect: +235
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2011, 04:37:37 pm »

Sounds weird to me... How many Silvers do you plan to get? I mean, if the plan is double tactician then Silvers are no good, and a Cellar is infinitely better. But of course, it is hard to say that double tactician+Vault is definitely better than sort of mixing Vault+Tactician+BM...

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2011, 05:28:50 pm »

I seems to play double tactician far more often than I should do really. Here's one from back in the BGGL days, and I'll only post it up so readers can play "spot the mistakes"  http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20110515-152054-6aca6167.html. There are numerous, I'm sad to say, but at least some of them are highly original.

vandergus

• Swindler
  • Respect: +4
    • View Profile

I'm still trying to get the hang of double Tactician strategies. I was playing a game tonight that I thought was in the bag until I made a couple crucial mistakes. I was using Secret Chamber in place of Vault and Cartographers to set up future turns. It was a Colony game but there were Grand Markets in the kingdom which mesh perfectly with Secret Chamber and Tactician and allowed me to get from 7$ (from Chamber discarding) to $11. Early in the game I mistakenly discarded everything but a Tactician to a Secret Chamber. I soon discovered that Tactician needs to discard something in order give you the bonus. Ok, lesson learned, RTFC. I was able to recover and was cruising along gaining a Colony a turn. Until I bought my fourth Colony...before I played my Tactician. Ugh. My opponent caught up while I was restarting my engine and I lost by a handful of VP's.

Anyway, to actually contribute to the thread, Secret Chamber can work as a poor man's Vault in this type of strategy. I ended up buying three since the filtering power of Cartographer isn't as strong as Cellar, but I don't think it hurts the deck too much since extra copies are just discarded for coin anyway.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.363 seconds with 21 queries.