Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Doesn't councilroom have world records somewhere?  (Read 2008 times)

kevinb9n

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
Doesn't councilroom have world records somewhere?
« on: January 08, 2012, 01:31:38 pm »

e.g. highest scoring game, most points in a turn, fewest turns in a naturally-concluding game, etc.?  I was just wondering after my friend had a 283-point turn.
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201201/07/game-20120107-135039-9289b63e.html

chwhite

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
Re: Doesn't councilroom have world records somewhere?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2012, 02:13:25 pm »

I remember being in two separate 9-turn games, both of them Ironworks/Gardens mirror matches.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's been done in eight, but seven is stretching it unless you're deliberately stacking the setup.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 02:15:38 pm by chwhite »
To discard or not to discard?  That is the question.

buggibum

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2012, 02:21:11 pm »
+1

Those records would mean something if there won't be so many setup fake games. I've seen achievements with 20 cards trashed in one turn, yeah, you can do it by having some megachain and the forge, but seriously, this is not a natural game, those games are clearly setups for achievements, so those records doesn't mean alot besides some people are bored or just trying to have some fun.

If you take records serious you only take records from league games or tournaments.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2012, 04:40:56 pm »

Those records would mean something if there won't be so many setup fake games.

Sure, but setup games don't count for ratings.  Even a single prohibit makes the game not count for ratings.  The game log indicates if there were constraints on the game.  So any game with the word "constraint" in the log could be filtered out for purposes of determining "world records."  Bam, easy.

That said, if you want to see that sort of feature, I'd suggest programming it yourself... I'm not sure rrenaud would want to.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

rrenaud

• Administrator
  • Uncivilized Barbarian of Statistics
  • Respect: +1197
    • View Profile
    • CouncilRoom
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2012, 05:49:16 pm »
+6

I dislike "world records" for two reasons.

1)  They change the incentive from winning to "winning with great style."  Which can be annoying to your opponents when you don't just take the win, and instead go and run your engine to maximum capacity to get a record.  Likewise, if you have a possibly record breaking game, your opponent might resign, and you won't get the record, which might suck for you.

2)  You can only optimize your own play so much.  A lot of achieving crazy records requires either having the luck of very dumb opponents, or even worse explicitly setting up dummy accounts and having them cooperate to set the records.

Of course, if you spent a half hour looking at the code, the interfaces would all suddenly become incredibly well thought out and designed (I had a non-Googler friend say Guava is the nicest code he has ever read/used over dinner a couple weeks ago), so I'd take your code anyway, even if it implements something I don't like.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.587 seconds with 20 queries.