Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Custom Event Card - New Year  (Read 1888 times)

RelzeriZynx

• Swindler
  • Respect: +15
    • View Profile
Custom Event Card - New Year
« on: August 23, 2015, 12:21:51 am »
+1

Question: Does anyone have any ideas on how I would make a custom event card? I have an idea for what to put on it, but I don't know how I would go about making it.

Cost - $3
(You can only buy this once per turn)
+1 Buy. You may trash a card from your hand. If you trashed a card from your hand, turn your journey token over (it starts face-up). If it is faced up, +4 cards. Otherwise, +2 cards.

(Also, Opinions about this event card would be nice!)

Edit:

Cost - $3
+1 Buy. Trash a card from your hand. If you trashed a card from your hand, turn your journey token over (it starts face-up). If it is faced up, +2 cards on your next turn.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 11:40:39 pm by RelzeriZynx »

GeeJo

• Coppersmith
  • Respect: +87
    • View Profile
Re: Custom Event Card - New Year
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2015, 01:39:04 am »

This doesn't work as you hope it does. The Buy phase is split into two halves - first you play your Treasures, then you buy things. By the time you get around to buying this Event, it's too late to play any of the treasures you drew, and very little else you could draw would be relevant (corner cases like Trader aside). How about a reveal+play? It's wordier, but it at least works within the rules.

Maybe I'm just stupid, but the first time I read the card, I assumed that both the flipping and the draw were dependent on trashing, so if you didn't trash, nothing at all happened. Later re-reading makes me think that you wanted the draw to happen regardless of whether the player trashed anything. If that's the case, it would probably need rewording for clarity, or just have a separate rules section explaining how it works to prevent idiots like me getting confused.

If both flipping and draw are supposed to be dependent on trash, then there's no real need for the "may":
« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 02:18:24 am by GeeJo »

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2134
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2015, 02:53:18 am »

What photoshop template are you using for events?

GeeJo

• Coppersmith
  • Respect: +87
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2015, 11:16:49 am »
+2

I made my own GIMP .xcf template, which is why the transparent overlapping background bits on the sides are a little crude.

Google Drive link

RelzeriZynx

• Swindler
  • Respect: +15
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2015, 11:39:42 pm »

This doesn't work as you hope it does. The Buy phase is split into two halves - first you play your Treasures, then you buy things. By the time you get around to buying this Event, it's too late to play any of the treasures you drew, and very little else you could draw would be relevant (corner cases like Trader aside). How about a reveal+play? It's wordier, but it at least works within the rules.

Maybe I'm just stupid, but the first time I read the card, I assumed that both the flipping and the draw were dependent on trashing, so if you didn't trash, nothing at all happened. Later re-reading makes me think that you wanted the draw to happen regardless of whether the player trashed anything. If that's the case, it would probably need rewording for clarity, or just have a separate rules section explaining how it works to prevent idiots like me getting confused.

If both flipping and draw are supposed to be dependent on trash, then there's no real need for the "may":

I've editted it.

Cost - $3
+1 Buy. Trash a card from your hand. If you trashed a card from your hand, turn your journey token over (it starts face-up). If it is faced up, +2 cards on your next turn.

My original intention was that this event was to flip over the journey token. However, I'm not sure how useful this may be. I made this event card because I realised that all the other cards that depended on the journey token flipped it over before you did the action.

I... don't know if that made sense.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 20 queries.