Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: The Slog  (Read 2456 times)

NateDominion

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +4
    • View Profile
The Slog
« on: August 15, 2015, 06:27:19 pm »

How would you counter the slog in a kingdom of bad cards? The other player is better than me so Slog vs Slog is not an option.

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1384
    • View Profile
Re: The Slog
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2015, 06:40:34 pm »
+4

What's the kingdom?
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3349
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2015, 07:57:43 pm »
+5

How would you counter the slog in a kingdom of bad cards? The other player is better than me so Slog vs Slog is not an option.

You want us to tell you how to outplay someone who is better than you? That's, uh, not necessarily something that can be done. If the best strategy is going to end up revolving to a slog, your best option is probably to play your best and hope to get lucky. But as Jack Rudd says, without knowing the kingdom, it's impossible to really suggest anything specific other than "play well"
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

NateDominion

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2015, 08:17:11 pm »
+1

You want us to tell you how to outplay someone who is better than you? That's, uh, not necessarily something that can be done. If the best strategy is going to end up revolving to a slog, your best option is probably to play your best and hope to get lucky. But as Jack Rudd says, without knowing the kingdom, it's impossible to really suggest anything specific other than "play well"
The kingdom: Moat, Village, Bureaucrat, Militia, Remodel, Spy, Thief, Library, Witch, Adventurer

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1384
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2015, 08:40:40 pm »
+3

The kingdom: Moat, Village, Bureaucrat, Militia, Remodel, Spy, Thief, Library, Witch, Adventurer
So that's a kingdom with five Attacks, no trashing except Remodel, no +Buy, no draw except Library... yow. I'd probably open Militia/Silver, try to get a couple of Witches, and see where it goes. It's gonna be ugly.
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2015, 04:55:04 pm »

The only time you don't want to mirror a better player is to play an easier strategy, like big money.  Slog is already pretty easy to play..

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3458
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2015, 12:25:19 pm »

Even if the opponent is better, the inherent randomness of Dominion often makes the mirror the strategy with the best expected value. Deviating from the mirror requires a higher reward, even if there is a much higher risk, than the mirror can obtain for it to possibly be worth it.

Your turn by turn decisions won't be exactly the same, and the timing of particular gains or the priorities you choose can be crucial. This is where Dominion really gets interesting, not as much in "x decided engine and y decided big money let's see what's better" high level stuff.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2015, 03:08:42 pm »
+3

Slog is already pretty easy to play.

Oh mansies, I don't think I agree with this at all. There's a lot of finesse in slogs and it's a lot harder to get better at them because it's much more difficult to see the direct effect of each decision you make.

Big money is easy because it's a math problem and people already figured it out with computers. Figuring out all possible slogs with computers isn't practical, so you have to go based on feel.
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2015, 05:38:38 pm »

So that's a kingdom with five Attacks, no trashing except Remodel, no +Buy, no draw except Library... yow. I'd probably open Militia/Silver, try to get a couple of Witches, and see where it goes. It's gonna be ugly.

How it proceeds will depend on how the cursing goes. Early-mid game I would pick up Remodel.

There is danger in loading up on more than one Militia. Sometimes in slogs multiple Militias can be good (your deck is bloating, you need more Militias to see it as often as in early game,it actually still attacks unlike Witch), but here, with Library as a really effective counter, I am going to say that will likely be a bad plan.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.482 seconds with 21 queries.