Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Author Topic: Upgrading to Windows 10?  (Read 24684 times)

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7868
    • View Profile
Re: Upgrading to Windows 10?
« Reply #75 on: August 01, 2015, 05:52:46 pm »

a more general question: I've never upgraded an OS on my computer before. How much trouble is it?
But seriously...can somebody with knowledge about this help out?

The Windows 8->Windows 10 upgrade went smoothly for me.

Did your browser(s) retain history/cookies/etc? When I had to re-install Windows 8 after it crashed; even though I was able to keep all personal files and documents, by browsers lost all data, even though I thought that such data was saved in the user folder which shouldn't have been touched.

Chrome did, yeah.  I was still logged in to f.ds, for instance.  I don't really use other browsers.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (΄。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12870
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #76 on: August 01, 2015, 06:52:02 pm »
+4

it butchers the quality

how so

Well, first of all, if your hardware isn't very powerful, the difference between MPC-HC and VLC is enormous, since MPC-HC is very likely to run smoothly even on an older system. I simulated having an older system by running a Symphobia with hundreds of simultaneous voices through a guitar amp sim and a Vocodex with a high unison voice number in FL Studio with my 4-year-old gaming desktop while making the comparison. I used the newest version of VLC and whatever version of K-Lite Codec Pack/MPC I happen to have (I think I updated these in May or June this year) and the video used for this comparison was the Kurumi Lamb MMD video by ShadowDevi (60 FPS, 1080p). The Wave Candy which is visible in the bottom right corner is obviously not a part of the video.

So, yeah. In this screenshot, it still looks pretty shitty on MPC, but that's just because compressed 60 FPS videos have a tendency to look like that in screenshots — it looks completely fine when the picture is moving. Meanwhile, VLC is adding its own shittiness on top of everything which makes it completely unwatchable, even when the picture is moving. VLC also lags a ton, while MPC-HC still runs very smoothly.

Now, this is not really an issue for you if you are using more or less modern hardware and you don't need to watch full-HD 60 FPS videos while vocoding an amp-simulated Symphobia. So, let's see what happens when I'm not using CPU-intensive VST plugins while watching videos. Here's a comparison from the first episode of Girls und Panzer by AK:

VLC has actually gotten better since the last time I made this comparison. The colors used to look awful in the older versions of VLC, now the difference is rather minor. It is still noticeable though, and it's definitely MPC's favor. However, there's still a pretty clear difference if you look at the subtitles: in VLC, they look pretty unpleasant and obtrusive. In MPC, they fit in a lot better.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 06:53:07 pm by Awaclus »
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 04, 2015, 10:33:17 am »
+1

Well, I pulled the trigger last night. It was remarkably smooth. I set the timer to install at 1 AM when I supposedly would be in bed (and I actually was this time). I woke up this morning to a rebooted computer. It had me tweak a few settings. I could have gone with the express, but I like flipping my own switches. I appreciate the offer, Microsoft, but I don’t want you to track too much of my stuff.

I was only web browsing this morning. I didn't run anything else. I'll see how things go tonight.

But yeah, going from Windows 8 to 10 was a really smooth transition. Or at least it looked smooth.
A man has no signature

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3671
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 04, 2015, 01:41:12 pm »

Nobody uses iTunes?? I'm not a huge fan or anything, but I thought it was by far the most popular/widely used music program.

iTunes has gotten way too bulky and cumbersome for its own good. I'm sure it still is the most used music program but I don't think this group is exactly a representative sample of the population in tech matters.

UmbrageOfSnow

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: Umbrageofsnow
  • Respect: +301
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 04, 2015, 03:10:24 pm »
+2

Subtly telling everyone in this thread to switch to Mint or some other flavor of Linux, you sly fox.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (΄。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #80 on: August 04, 2015, 03:34:27 pm »

Subtly telling everyone in this thread to switch to Mint or some other flavor of Linux, you sly fox.

Well, I would recommend having some flavor of Linux in addition to Windows, but not instead of Windows.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 04, 2015, 04:00:12 pm »

The difference in the first screenshot is astounding, but I don't really see it in the second one, not even in the text.  I guess it's a bit sharper in the VLC version?  But I don't know if that's really a bad thing.

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 04, 2015, 07:17:37 pm »

I thought upvoting was a bit slow lately.  That being at 0 confirms it!

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (΄。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #83 on: August 04, 2015, 07:28:15 pm »

The difference in the first screenshot is astounding, but I don't really see it in the second one, not even in the text.  I guess it's a bit sharper in the VLC version?  But I don't know if that's really a bad thing.

The color of the border of the text sticks out in an ugly way in the VLC version. It's not at all harder to read in the MPC version, but it's more pleasant to look at.

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3680
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 04, 2015, 07:34:11 pm »

The color of the border of the text sticks out in an ugly way in the VLC version. It's not at all harder to read in the MPC version, but it's more pleasant to look at.

The border looks fine, if not better. It's very subtle too.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (΄。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #85 on: August 04, 2015, 07:50:59 pm »

The border looks fine, if not better. It's very subtle too.

The point is that they are different. You can prefer the VLC version, but the MPC version is what it's actually supposed to look like.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9415
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 04, 2015, 11:43:08 pm »

winamp?

Winamp!!!
It's pity they don't support it anymore, but the last version is still good enough.

Winamp really whipped the llama's ass.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 06, 2015, 12:35:28 pm »
+3

I just realized that someone used "mine" and "mint" in the same sentence, and no one made a joke about it! I think our little board is growing up.  :'(
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9415
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 06, 2015, 12:39:55 pm »

I just realized that someone used "mine" and "mint" in the same sentence, and no one made a joke about it! I think our little board is growing up.  :'(

I was going to, but I was on mobile at the time and quoting plus dealing with a picture is a PITA on mobile.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7868
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 06, 2015, 12:44:24 pm »
+3

I thought that was the joke :/

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1887
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: August 06, 2015, 01:21:44 pm »

I posted it in the "Out of Context" thread. That counts, I think.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (΄。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #91 on: August 06, 2015, 02:15:22 pm »

I thought that was the joke :/

That was the joke.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 21 queries.