Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Reaction effect idea  (Read 2721 times)

Glooble

• Bishop
  • Respect: +61
    • View Profile
    • Solutions to Problems
Reaction effect idea
« on: January 06, 2012, 09:39:17 am »

I was thinking about tunnel, and also how annoying it can be to discard your only platinum to an opponent's Tribute or have your Sea Hag get Sea Hagged, and I wondered if a reaction could be made to turn that kind of deck cycling into a benefit. This is far to weak for a pure reaction, so it would need some kind of action component as well, but I thought it would be a cool idea.

Reaction:
If a card is discarded from your deck, you may reveal and discard this card. Place the discarded card into your hand.

I was also considering a secondary benefit, i.e. Place the discarded card in your hand and draw a card or something.

For the action component, I think something thematically related could be a card that retrieves something from your discard pile, ala Counting House, but for something other than coppers. But that has the potential for some extremely broken combos.

I know the usual M.O. on this board is design first and ask questions later, but I wanted to throw open the gates on this one. What do you guys think of this idea?  Too situational?

I think town!Glooble pointing to something as a scum tell and then shortly thereafter doing that thing is a lot more likely than scum!Glooble doing that.

He/ Him

Check out my podcast: www.stppodcast.com

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
Re: Reaction effect idea
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2012, 09:43:27 am »

Too situational?

If yes, than you might want to buff it from "discarded" to "revealed". I think in every case so far discard does imply reveal. And you would activate combos with cards your own actions like Hunting Party/Venture/Loan/Spy/etc...

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2012, 09:48:26 am »

Too situational?

If yes, than you might want to buff it from "discarded" to "revealed". I think in every case so far discard does imply reveal. And you would activate combos with cards your own actions like Hunting Party/Venture/Loan/Spy/etc...

But all of those cards either discard or put into your hand(/play) the revealed cards anyway, with the exception of Spy if you choose to put it back and Loan if you choose to trash. With Spy you could just discard it anyway if you want to use this reaction to draw it immediately. With Loan you won't be trashing it if you want it.

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2012, 09:57:42 am »

But all of those cards either discard or put into your hand(/play) the revealed cards anyway, with the exception of Spy if you choose to put it back and Loan if you choose to trash. With Spy you could just discard it anyway if you want to use this reaction to draw it immediately. With Loan you won't be trashing it if you want it.

HP reveals until it finds something. So you could react on say your second Gold to not discard (or set aside) it and put it to your hand. Similar with Venture/Loan/Adventurer, just concerning Actions.
Ah I see.

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4443
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2012, 10:26:59 am »

Too situational?

If yes, than you might want to buff it from "discarded" to "revealed".

That could really cripple cards like Pirate Ship, which don't necessarily need any more crippling. Opponent plays Pirate Ship and reveals a treasure from your deck; you say 'ha ha, that treasure is going into my hand'; and by the lose-track rule the Pirate Ship is no longer able to trash it.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2012, 11:58:45 am »

You could rephrase it to something like:

After a card is revealed and discarded from the top of your deck, you may reveal this card.
If you do, put the discarded card in your hand.

This means the effect wil occur after the actual discarding. Attack and action cards (Jester, Tribute) still get their bonus, Pirate Ship works, because the card is moved to trash, not discarded.

Would be fun to play this with Cartographer.

I'll just discard everything and put what I want in my hand, muhahah.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

tlloyd

• Tactician
  • Respect: +84
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2012, 12:04:36 pm »
+1

Too situational?

That could really cripple cards like Pirate Ship, which don't necessarily need any more crippling. Opponent plays Pirate Ship and reveals a treasure from your deck; you say 'ha ha, that treasure is going into my hand'; and by the lose-track rule the Pirate Ship is no longer able to trash it.

What if the reaction card were made to suffer the fate of the revealed card? So if your opponent tries to discard your platinum from your deck with Spy, you reveal the reaction from your hand, place the plat in your hand, and discard the reaction instead. But if your opponent tries to trash your plat with Thief, you have to trash your reaction in order to rescue the plat.

Sounds like a neat idea, though with potential for some rule confusion.

tlloyd

• Tactician
  • Respect: +84
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2012, 12:09:26 pm »

Too situational?

What if the reaction card were made to suffer the fate of the revealed card? So if your opponent tries to discard your platinum from your deck with Spy, you reveal the reaction from your hand, place the plat in your hand, and discard the reaction instead. But if your opponent tries to trash your plat with Thief, you have to trash your reaction in order to rescue the plat.

Sounds like a neat idea, though with potential for some rule confusion.

You could call it Secret Chamber!

[Slapping myself]

Voltgloss

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +597
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2012, 12:17:41 pm »

You could rephrase it to something like:

After a card is revealed and discarded from the top of your deck, you may reveal this card.
If you do, put the discarded card in your hand.

This means the effect wil occur after the actual discarding. Attack and action cards (Jester, Tribute) still get their bonus, Pirate Ship works, because the card is moved to trash, not discarded.

Would be fun to play this with Cartographer.

I'll just discard everything and put what I want in my hand, muhahah.

This actually wouldn't work with Cartographer.  Cartographer doesn't "reveal" any cards.  You "look at" them instead, then decide what to discard and what to keep.  No revealing involved.  (Navigator is the same way.)

Also, this would be hilarious paired with Envoy.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2012, 04:23:40 pm »

Ah, I thought that any Spy-like card had a "reveal"-mechanism.

Played too many on Iso and too little in real life, I guess...

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.124 seconds with 21 queries.