Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8  All

Author Topic: Summon: Promo Event card  (Read 81791 times)

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9631
    • View Profile
Re: Promo Event card in Germany
« Reply #150 on: November 13, 2015, 03:56:28 pm »
+4

So I got my copy of Summon, and it did not come with a FAQ.  Where might it be found?
Just on the off-chance that there isn't one yet, what do you think are the kinds of things you might frequently ask?

-what happens if I Watchtower the card
-do I resolve Durations/call Reserves before or after it
-what if I used Bridge to Summon an expensive card
-can I Summon on a Mission turn
-who gets the card during Possession
-what if I'm Possessed after I Summon it
-what if the game ends between the turn I Summoned it and the next (if it's a Victory card)
-does the Summoned card count as a card in play for Peddler
-what if the Summoned card has on-gain stuff
-what if the Summoned card has on-buy stuff

Note, I'm pretty sure I know the answers to these questions, but others might not.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Accatitippi
  • Silver is underraided
  • Respect: +1797
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: November 13, 2015, 03:57:00 pm »

Gosh, does that activate on-buy effects like for example Messenger?
Does it use up my action for next turn?
What if I trash the summoned card with say Watch tower?
Why a butterfly?

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: November 13, 2015, 04:14:19 pm »
+6

Q: How do I get my own fan card published as an official promo?
A: No.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5349
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: November 13, 2015, 05:40:09 pm »

I don't know whether there is a FAQ. But if there is and Wero gets his hands on it, i count on it being on the wiki half an hour later.

You can take this as appreciation as well as as me poking fun. Best both.

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2984
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: November 14, 2015, 12:54:29 pm »
+1

When will we get the next expansion?

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: November 14, 2015, 12:59:56 pm »
+2

Hmm.  By my current interpretation of the rules, neither Death Cart nor Border Village can be properly Summoned, the way the Event is worded.

* Gain an Action card costing up to .
- Okay, I gain a Death Cart.  That goes into my discard pile, and two Ruins get thrown on top of it.
* Set it aside.
- Set what aside?  All I see in my discard pile is a Ruins.  I must have lost track of something...
* If you do, then at the start of your next turn, play it.
- Play what?

EDIT: This is similar to how, with Border Village, after I gain it, I choose whether to gain the other card or to reveal Watchtower first.  If I choose to gain the other card first, that goes on top of Border Village, which I've now lost track of, and can neither trash nor top-deck with Watchtower.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2015, 01:03:07 pm by werothegreat »
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: November 14, 2015, 03:39:15 pm »

Hmm.  By my current interpretation of the rules, neither Death Cart nor Border Village can be properly Summoned, the way the Event is worded.

- Okay, I gain a Death Cart.  That goes into my discard pile, and two Ruins get thrown on top of it.
* Set it aside.
- Set what aside?  All I see in my discard pile is a Ruins.  I must have lost track of something...
- Play what?

EDIT: This is similar to how, with Border Village, after I gain it, I choose whether to gain the other card or to reveal Watchtower first.  If I choose to gain the other card first, that goes on top of Border Village, which I've now lost track of, and can neither trash nor top-deck with Watchtower.

You can play a card even if it's not where expected, as you can see with Throne Room/Feast. The reason is that lose track only applies to moving things, but while playing usually implies moving, it's not depending on it. Trashing the Death Cart on the other hand requires moving it, which will become impossible after gaining the Ruins. Therefore, using Summon to play Death Cart will simply give you a lot of money and the chance to trash a junk action next turn.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2015, 03:43:58 pm by Asper »

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: November 14, 2015, 03:54:50 pm »
+3

* Set it aside.
- Play what?

You can play a card even if it's not where expected, as you can see with Throne Room/Feast. The reason is that lose track only applies to moving things, but while playing usually implies moving, it's not depending on it. Trashing the Death Cart on the other hand requires moving it, which will become impossible after gaining the Ruins. Therefore, using Summon to play Death Cart will simply give you a lot of money and the chance to trash a junk action next turn.

But from Summon's wording, you only play the card if you do move it, if it is set aside.  If the card is not set aside, it is not played.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: November 14, 2015, 04:53:41 pm »

* Set it aside.
- Play what?

But from Summon's wording, you only play the card if you do move it, if it is set aside.  If the card is not set aside, it is not played.

Dammit, i was coming from the german version in this thread. Well, seems like we found a case where that mistranslation matters.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
Re: Summon: Promo Event card
« Reply #159 on: November 15, 2015, 12:24:23 pm »

Also, if you call a Duplicate on a Summoned card, it can't be set aside.  And Inn can't be Summoned if you decide to shuffle it into your deck (which would be silly).

Also, rules question: can you call Duplicate when there's no other copy of the card to gain?  I've no idea why you would, it would do nothing (well, it would get more Actions in play for Peddler), but can you?  Basically call it, try and fail to gain a card.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2015, 12:27:28 pm by werothegreat »

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25715
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: November 15, 2015, 01:36:22 pm »
+3

Also, rules question: can you call Duplicate when there's no other copy of the card to gain?  I've no idea why you would, it would do nothing (well, it would get more Actions in play for Peddler), but can you?  Basically call it, try and fail to gain a card.
Yes, nowhere in Dominion is an effect limited in that way. All that matters is meeting the condition; then you try your best to do whatever it says to do.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: November 15, 2015, 11:06:43 pm »
+1

I finally played with this card irl. It's pretty strong

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: November 19, 2015, 12:25:03 am »

I guess the questions here is, which rule applies: Lose Track, or No Visiting?  If the Summoned card Visits the discard pile, then if you Summon a Death Cart, it will be covered by its gained Ruins, and be Lost Track of.  But if it doesn't Visit, and goes straight to set-aside land, then Death Cart will be played at the start of your next turn if Summoned.

I'm inclined to think it's the former, given that "gain" and "set aside" are separate sentences on the Event.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: November 19, 2015, 12:48:19 am »
+2

I guess the questions here is, which rule applies: Lose Track, or No Visiting?  If the Summoned card Visits the discard pile, then if you Summon a Death Cart, it will be covered by its gained Ruins, and be Lost Track of.  But if it doesn't Visit, and goes straight to set-aside land, then Death Cart will be played at the start of your next turn if Summoned.

I'm inclined to think it's the former, given that "gain" and "set aside" are separate sentences on the Event.

I believe Donald has confirmed this elsewhere, and that the Summoned card does indeed visit the discard pile (or the top of your deck in the case of Nomad Camp).

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: November 19, 2015, 08:28:48 am »

I believe Donald has confirmed this elsewhere, and that the Summoned card does indeed visit the discard pile (or the top of your deck in the case of Nomad Camp).

So I'm right that Death Cart can't be set aside by Summon unless the Ruins pile is empty?

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: November 19, 2015, 10:51:55 am »

So I'm right that Death Cart can't be set aside by Summon unless the Ruins pile is empty?

Seems that way to me.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: November 19, 2015, 10:54:35 am »

Seems that way to me.

Hmm.  So what sort of things were you trying to avoid by not just making it "gain a card and set it aside" and have it Not Visit?

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: November 19, 2015, 11:07:22 am »

Seems that way to me.

Hmm.  So what sort of things were you trying to avoid by not just making it "gain a card and set it aside" and have it Not Visit?

I'm not sure there was any consideration other than maybe breaking it up into two sentences. It's not so bad that it doesn't worth on Death Cart, though I think it would be nice if it did. Probably some IRL groups will make the mistake of thinking they can do it, but I don't think it's ruining those games.

Eran of Arcadia

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +514
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: November 19, 2015, 11:20:50 am »
+3

Probably some IRL groups will make the mistake of thinking they can do it, but I don't think it's ruining those games.

The great thing about IRL games is that you can houserule anything you want. And this is exactly the sort of thing I'd houserule.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25715
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: November 19, 2015, 01:33:20 pm »
+3

It's not intentional other than via trying to have a nice readable card phrasing. I do not consider every possible way of communicating effects; I try to find a good way and if I have one then there it is. This "issue" didn't come up.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: November 21, 2015, 08:12:28 pm »
+1

Just bought this at bgg.con. Kind of funny to spend $5 on a single card (not a set of 10); plus one that physically owning it has no impact on your ability to play with it. But totally worth it anyway!
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #171 on: December 10, 2015, 02:48:08 pm »

So I'm late to the party (typical seasonal obsession) and just found out about this. [Though, a little bummed to find out it doesn't come with a fixed Pathfinding.]

I see this being quite useful in many games, with the number of good $3 and $4 engine parts.
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

Willvon

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +169
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: December 22, 2015, 11:32:34 pm »

http://www.reddit.com/r/dominion/comments/3fobgo/new_promo_event_at_gencon/

From the link: Summon(5 cost) Gain a card costing up to 4 and set it aside. At the start of your next turn play the set aside card.

Update:
Summon: Event, $5
Gain an Action card costing up to $4. Set it aside. If you do, then at the start of your next turn, play it.

I notice that Summon does not say "from the supply". So does that mean that you can use it to gain a Traveller that costs under $4 or less, or a Madman, or a Mercenary?

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: December 22, 2015, 11:38:43 pm »
+5

I notice that Summon does not say "from the supply". So does that mean that you can use it to gain a Traveller that costs under $4 or less, or a Madman, or a Mercenary?

No.  Card gains are always from the Supply unless otherwise specified.  Note how Workshop doesn't say "from the Supply" either.

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1642
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: January 28, 2016, 08:21:59 pm »

-who gets the card during Possession

This is the most interesting question. I guess Possession's when-would-gain works like Trader's. If I'm Possessed and buy Summon, I don't gain the card, instead the Possessor gains it. So there is no "it" to set aside (blue dog territory). So it will not be played at the start of my next turn (and we don't have to wonder if/how I would play it if it's in my opponent's set-aside area). And so nobody wants to Possess someone and make them buy Summon.

Correct?
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 10:12:29 am by Jeebus »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8  All

Page created in 0.846 seconds with 21 queries.