• Respect: +16
    • View Profile
Broker
« on: July 13, 2015, 02:10:50 pm »

Broker
$4 Action
+4 Card
Randomly discard a card from your hand.
Gain a copy of discarded card, if you discard a Victory card worths more than or equal to $5, gain a Duchy instead.

Tested a bit.
Can junk deck so hard that you regret buying it, but sometimes the draw it gives worth the junk.

Dingan

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Dingan
  • Respect: +1731
    • View Profile
    • Website title
Re: Broker
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2015, 02:23:33 pm »

I highly doubt I would ever want this.  It's kind of like Mint, which I almost never want, but worse.  All of the cards I have in my current hand I either want to play this turn (the good cards), or don't want more of (the bad cards).  Of course, there are a few exceptions -- gaining green in the end game, can make terminal collisions not as bad, etc. -- but I don't think these would counteract the drawbacks.

EDIT: ah, didn't even see the +4 cards.  Ok, maybe I'd want it.  Still not sure though.  Regardless, I'd much rather just have an Ironworks and a Smithy in my hand than a Broker.

EDIT2: you'd need a way to determine the "random" card.  Maybe some wording like "the player to your left chooses a card from your hand" (they only see the backs of the cards), or something like that.

EDIT3 (okay, last edit): I guess my main turn-off here is that I don't care for things in Dominion that make it more luck-based.  Of course there is always shuffle luck, and that's necessary to make the game fun.  But I'd prefer the game stay as skill-based as possible beyond that.  Just my preference though.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 03:25:26 pm by Dingan »

Marcory

• Minion
  • Respect: +1207
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2015, 03:32:53 pm »

This is almost strictly better than Envoy, because Envoy takes out the best card of those drawn, while Broker takes out a random card from your entire hand. You'll have already played a Village if you have one, so having to discard won't hurt you too badly.

Also, if you have VP cards costing 5 or more in your deck, it's usually because you've already started greening (edge case Nobles/Harem/Tournament), so you often actually want the Duchy.

Probably the phrasing you want for the 2nd clause is "If you discarded a Victory Card costing $5 or more, gain a Duchy."

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2015, 05:03:27 pm »

This is almost strictly better than Envoy, because Envoy takes out the best card of those drawn, while Broker takes out a random card from your entire hand. You'll have already played a Village if you have one, so having to discard won't hurt you too badly.

Envoy increases your hand size by net 3.  This only increases by net 2.

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2015, 06:14:13 pm »
+1

This is very comparable to smithy. Hopefully the average card in your deck is one that you want more of (probably the case by turn 8 or so on average? idk), in which case it's better, otherwise  if your deck isn't there yet it is worse. The draw is the same as smithy except that it is better when you play it with cards you want to discard already in hand.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.16 seconds with 21 queries.