Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 18  All

Author Topic: The Grand Tournament Discussion  (Read 102992 times)

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12870
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
Re: The Grand Tournament Discussion
« Reply #300 on: August 14, 2015, 06:54:26 pm »

I'm still waiting for Dr. Boom to be nerfed.

Dr. Boom isn't that good. If you're paying 7 mana for something that dies to 1-mana removal, you need to get enough value for those 6 mana out of the minion's immediate effect and the fact that your opponent might draw the removal too early or too late, otherwise the card just sucks. Dr. Boom just does this competently, nothing more. It doesn't even compare all that favorably with Savannah Highmane.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 06:58:25 pm by Awaclus »
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: August 14, 2015, 07:35:58 pm »

Apparently the designer's rationale is basically "it ain't power creep if it's a bad card".  Last time I checked, BBBG sees quite a lot of play, even in Arena.  There's nothing wrong with BBBG.

I think these two cards are just going to ruin the entire expansion for me.  Because of those two cards, I will never give Blizzard my money, at least for Hearthstone.

EDIT: Or maybe it's just the designer's weird attitude of seeming to be legitimately passionate about certain things ("look at this cool card!") and then not giving a single shit about other things that a lot of players care about (Arena balancing, power creep).

Saying that BBBG saw some play is pretty misleading. It does get put into decks, but only in Arena and only reluctantly when you were desperate for a Taunt and you are choosing between BBBG and two other terrible cards. Every card can be played in Arena given a terrible enough set of choices (except maybe Magma Rager). No one who played constructed would play it over Sludge (or Senjin or Sunwalker).

Well okay.  I'm not exactly the most seasoned player.  But still, it seems they're far more willing to nerf cards than buff them.  Ice Rager and the necro taunt guy could have been completely different cards if they just buffed Magma Rager and BBBG.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

sitnaltax

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +490
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: August 14, 2015, 08:07:22 pm »
+1

The hate for the BBBG/Magma Rager upgrades was really startling to me. I mean, those are two of the worst cards in the game... and the replacements are at common. It's not like evil Blizzard put them at purple to make you open 50 packs to get a playset.

In fact, one of the things I noticed about the set is the high power level and playability of the commons. Especially at the high end of the mana curve (a 5/9 for 7, the 9/7 Fire Elemental at 9) but at the low end too, there's plenty of cards I wouldn't be embarrassed to put into a deck if I had to make one with only a couple hundred dust.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: August 14, 2015, 08:29:41 pm »

Sometimes it's the principle of the thing rather than a matter of degree.  I think Ice Rager could cost 10 dust to craft and people would view it as an issue.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: August 14, 2015, 09:16:52 pm »

The hate for the BBBG/Magma Rager upgrades was really startling to me. I mean, those are two of the worst cards in the game... and the replacements are at common. It's not like evil Blizzard put them at purple to make you open 50 packs to get a playset.

In fact, one of the things I noticed about the set is the high power level and playability of the commons. Especially at the high end of the mana curve (a 5/9 for 7, the 9/7 Fire Elemental at 9) but at the low end too, there's plenty of cards I wouldn't be embarrassed to put into a deck if I had to make one with only a couple hundred dust.

The problem is not that they're fixing the cards - it's that they're adding new cards as replacements, rather than buffing the existing cards.  Which, as a completely virtual game, is totally possible.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 09:18:15 pm by werothegreat »
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: August 14, 2015, 10:17:13 pm »

Also, isn't Evil Heckler strictly better than Lost Tallstrider, too?

ycz6

• Minion
  • Respect: +412
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: August 14, 2015, 10:37:05 pm »
+1

Also, isn't Evil Heckler strictly better than Lost Tallstrider, too?
Only if you think Knife Juggler is strictly better than Bloodfen Raptor.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: August 14, 2015, 11:50:26 pm »
+1

Lost Tall Strider is a beast.  There's no 4 mana way to get out a 4/3 and also make Evil Heckler 7/6, so he's not strictly better.

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: August 15, 2015, 01:50:50 pm »

Apparently the designer's rationale is basically "it ain't power creep if it's a bad card". 

That is actually true.
Powercreep is when the benchmark for comparing cards gets completely changed. Like, if 3/4 for 2 are now suddenly common and can even have upsides. That is not happening.

You are acting like they are some super greedy bastards that try to sap the money with these ridiculous, you-have-to-pay-or-lodr changes. Blizz is actually doing an awesome job of not being greedy, IMHO. (At least with HS).
For example, if I did have some spare cash, I wouldn't mind spening it on HS. I do not however, and I still have most of the decks I want.

Dr. Boom doesn't need nerf and won't get it. And I am sad cause I have 2 booms but whatchagonnado.
Patron, however. I wouldn't be unhappy or surprised if he gets axe'd (some part of that deck, like Warsong for example).

As for cards, I am again going to wait until the meta stabilizes to build stuff, but my favourite cards so far are
Varyan and Justicar. Justicar just cause it seems so awesome and fun, and Varyan as Control Warrior is by far my favourite deck to play, and Varyan seems like a great add-on.

Edit: Also the guy who puts all secrets in play nad the Murloc Knight.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 01:52:26 pm by Grujah »

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: August 15, 2015, 02:19:02 pm »

I'm with Grujah on this one. I'm super excited. I don't have a ton of spare cash either, but I'm in no way feeling like the release of these cards is going to greatly impact my ability to throughly enjoy the game because of it. Further, my favorite play style (Arena), looks to be getting more and more intriguing. Yes, good cards will still be good cards - and vice versa. But I don't always get to choose the best cards out there. They're not offered every time after all. The cards in this expansion look like a lot of fun (to me anyway). It'll be interesting to see which ones make the biggest impact on games, and exactly how they go about it.
Quote from: Voltgloss
Derphammering is when quickhammers go derp.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54
SCUM Wins: M2, M19, M23, M100, DM3, RM1, RM2, RM48, RM50
SCUM Losses: M15 (SK), M102 (Tr), OZ1, RM55

Total Wins: 30
Total Losses: 20

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: August 15, 2015, 02:32:59 pm »

I have about 750 gold and 2000 dust saved up so far.. plan getting about 700 gold more till 24th, and than I'll play arena most of the time - to grind back and to wait for meta to settle a bit.

Unfortunately people whined too much about not being to get classic packs in arena, and it seems like now you will be getting random ones instead of TGT exclusively in arena, which sucks a bit. :s

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: August 15, 2015, 02:37:13 pm »

Most likely brand new archetypes I think the Tournament might bring, in order (not improvements.  Which is a little subjective, but I'd say mechmage was a new archetype but throwing a couple mechs into force-roar druid was popular but not new)

1. Control Shaman
2. Ancestral Call Shaman (i'm probably way too optimistic but <3)
3. Aggro Shaman (any shaman counts as new because it's like a tier 4 deck on ladder atm)
4. Secrets/Spell Mage (something aggro or midrange that doesn't run Goblin Blastmage)(I think some people play that anyway and it's not that bad right now because annoyotron bites patrons dust and stuff so maybe it doesn't count)
5. Secret masscast Paladin
6. Control Druid

New archetypes I am rather skeptical about, in no particular order.
Any inspire-matters. (one or two inspire cards might show up on their own merits, but trying to get two inspire dudes out the hero power for double the inspire triggers or running coliseum manager and inspire together, I don't believe in it)
Any murloc.
Any beast druid.
Any dragon deck.
Any joust deck but Shaman (I'm grateful Warlock doesn't have access to a decent joust card after all)
Rogue managing to get away from Tinker oil spam.
Taunt Warrior.
Control Hunter
Spell damage minions matter deck. (can we revert Dalaran Mage's nerf so he's not worse than Ice Rager?)
Pirates
Discard matters.
Whether or not you are a totem matters.

So I guess I see certain conceptual archetype having a good chance to improve viability, but don't believe in most of the mechanics, having the least skepticism about Shaman's joust card, the secret masscast guy, and the new direction for mage suggested by spellshaper, Effigy, and new neutrals for mage that can be good without having to be mechs.

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: August 15, 2015, 02:44:00 pm »

I actually think Ancestral Shaman is likely to work. It got two awesome cards in that new boardclear and also that heal that is going to win jousts most of the time if you only play Malygos and few other minions.

Backlight Rogue could get a comeback if that card that spawns 4/4s when drawn proves to be less slow that it appears to be.

Tempomage is basically Spellmage and it is played here and there.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 02:47:51 pm by Grujah »

AHoppy

• Jester
  • Respect: +529
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: August 15, 2015, 04:10:02 pm »

Question: Is there going to be a must-have legendary (a-la boom)?  I have a golden Gazrilla and I'm thinking of turning it into Sylvanas.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: August 15, 2015, 10:15:08 pm »

Question: Is there going to be a must-have legendary (a-la boom)?  I have a golden Gazrilla and I'm thinking of turning it into Sylvanas.
Maybe Eydis Darkbane.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #315 on: August 16, 2015, 12:10:01 am »

Apparently, a reddit survey of 1,000 players (just volunteers, presumably) had a 2/3rds consesus rating Varian Wrynn as the best card in the whole set.  I find that odd, since I'm not very optimistic about him at all.  He seems like Ysera for 1 more mana:  a card that doesn't keep you alive the turn you play it, but will do a good job keeping your hand full for the rest of the game.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12870
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #316 on: August 16, 2015, 05:28:59 am »

Apparently, a reddit survey of 1,000 players (just volunteers, presumably) had a 2/3rds consesus rating Varian Wrynn as the best card in the whole set.  I find that odd, since I'm not very optimistic about him at all.  He seems like Ysera for 1 more mana:  a card that doesn't keep you alive the turn you play it, but will do a good job keeping your hand full for the rest of the game.

Well, Varian has a number of advantages over Ysera. And I would totally run two Yseras in Warrior control if I could.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: August 16, 2015, 06:07:07 am »

I voted Varian 10, ceiling for his effect is ridiculously overpowered,  and if he "only" draws 3 cards he is still awesome.
And in warrior you really do have a lot of opportunity to cast a big minion that just draws cards (ala Ysera) as you have a lot of hp buffer.

Out of neutral ones, Chillmaw might be a good control card, and I want Justiciar to be awesome but I think it won't. Maybe Saarad is going to be played.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 06:09:50 am by Grujah »

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: August 16, 2015, 08:03:48 am »

My favourite thing about TGT so far is that while it's really pushing Control Hunter, Mages got Summon Huffer.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: August 16, 2015, 09:06:24 am »

Varian can put out Taunts, which goes with the Taunt theme they are pushing. Minion based Taunt warrior.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: August 16, 2015, 12:31:06 pm »
+1

Here's what I want to know: can Faceless Manipulator/Dreadsteed remove a Patron Warrior's board within a single turn?  That is, within the time limit?

qmech

• Torturer
  • What year is it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: August 16, 2015, 12:36:42 pm »

Probably not if you're spawning them infinitely many Patrons.

EDIT: nonsense.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 01:10:46 pm by qmech »

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +532
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: August 16, 2015, 01:05:44 pm »

My favourite thing about TGT so far is that while it's really pushing Control Hunter, Mages got Summon Huffer.

It's actually even stronger than that. Polymorph: Boar is amazing when you just want face damage, but it's a polymorph if you need it to be too. This is an aggro card that can do 4 damage face and leave a threat on the board or bypass a Sludge Belcher. I think we'll see most aggro mage decks adopt this card.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: August 16, 2015, 01:07:54 pm »
+1

No, see, you fill their board with Patrons, then reduce them all to 1 Health each, then take them out one at a time.  Then kill the Warsong Commander.  I'm just wondering if it's possible to do all of that within the turn time limit.

qmech

• Torturer
  • What year is it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: August 16, 2015, 01:10:04 pm »

No, see, you fill their board with Patrons, then reduce them all to 1 Health each, then take them out one at a time.  Then kill the Warsong Commander.  I'm just wondering if it's possible to do all of that within the turn time limit.

Thank you.  I just heard Trump mention this interaction 5 minutes after replying, and I couldn't figure it out.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 18  All

Page created in 1.707 seconds with 20 queries.