Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Tried a silly Expand combo for fun.  (Read 778 times)

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3458
    • View Profile
Tried a silly Expand combo for fun.
« on: June 28, 2015, 10:20:38 am »
+2

First I do want to note that I played this game on the Dominion beta, which means (1) no pretty log and (2) no accurate deck count throughout the game - so that information didn't inform my choices.

Full Game Log

Code: [Select]
Candlestick Maker, Native Village, Stonemason, Loan, Cutpurse, Wandering Minstrel, Band of Misfits, Treasury, Farmland, Expand
Sometimes I play Dominion to win games, other times I play to try out something odd just to see if it kind of works as a strategy. This was one of the latter times. I guess I wasn't really feeling a more basic strategy here. I didn't see a lot to do on this board. A lot of mediocre to decent engine components but nothing to tie it all together, yet nothing to really support a Big Money strategy much either.

I decided the most interesting thing I could try would be a sort of Treasury / Expand engine. The idea being that every turn I could use Treasury to buy up $5 or $6 cost cards, and if my deck was thin enough I could consistently Expand them into victory cards, getting me points without breaking the Treasury chain. It's probably too slow to work on any reasonable board, but maybe it would be okay on this one. The rest of the cards worked well to support the strategy. Wandering Minstrel would sift Expands to the top of my deck and help make up for the limited draw. Candlestick Maker gives extra +Buy. Loan and Stonemason would help clear out Coppers, while Expand would make the Estates into something useful. Finally, Band of Misfits came in handy as a 5 cost version of anything i wanted, almost always Wandering Minstrel.

Opened Silver / Cutpurse and started building. Managed a turn 3 Treasury and a turn 5 Expand, which really helped get my deck from "impossibly slow" to "maybe it will barely work" territory.  A Loan on turn 6 helped thin things out, then I just stockpiled Treasuries, WMs, and Band of Misfits as long as I could. I got pretty far behind, and with two provinces left I was forced to buy two Duchy and break my chain, but I managed to squeak out a win by one point on the final turn.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.11 seconds with 20 queries.