Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17  All

Author Topic: Latest Release  (Read 121188 times)

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
Re: Latest Release
« Reply #350 on: October 15, 2015, 06:49:02 pm »

If you want the game to be faster to play shouldn't the Hamlet buttons be close the Hamlet card that you clicked?

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: October 15, 2015, 07:09:01 pm »
+6

I've misclicked End Action Phase, End Buy Phase, End Turn many, many, many times.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12870
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #352 on: October 15, 2015, 08:47:52 pm »

I started using the comparable rating if available option instead of the never more than 1000 less option, and now I've been getting some awful opponents, but some maybe around Iso 15-25 level opponents too, and I've actually been getting rating points from beating them. I think it might actually mean the counterintuitive thing, or then it's just confirmation bias.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #353 on: October 15, 2015, 08:59:17 pm »

I noticed there is now a new browser version in Alpha. Has anyone been able to get that to load? It just doesn't load at all for me.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: October 15, 2015, 09:06:36 pm »

I just succesfully finished a game on it in Waterfox. It loaded awfully slow and earlier it didn't load at all, but once you have it going it's sort of decent: noticably slower than the desktop version, but not quite as horrible as I had feared for an alpha release.

That loading time though...

The link, for anyone who's interested.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: October 15, 2015, 09:14:15 pm »

I will say, the .exe version is a lot faster.  Zip zip zip zip zip go the cards.  Also love that the +Buy animation is basically my Markets jisming all over the screen.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: October 15, 2015, 09:15:19 pm »

I just succesfully finished a game on it in Waterfox. It loaded awfully slow and earlier it didn't load at all, but once you have it going it's sort of decent: noticably slower than the desktop version, but not quite as horrible as I had feared for an alpha release.

That loading time though...

The link, for anyone who's interested.

AAAAAAAAAARGHHHHHH

It loaded, and I was assaulted with that ear-bleeding music, and I was already logged in to the .exe version, so I couldn't change the settings, and I had, I had to close it

O_O
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #357 on: October 15, 2015, 09:31:01 pm »

The game has also started lagging and then crashing on me since this version. I wonder if it's due to increased traffic? I found the game remarkably stable before today in spite of its other issues.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12870
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #358 on: October 15, 2015, 09:32:05 pm »

The browser version is super awful. Does it send pictures back and forth whenever a card is played again or why does it feel slower than Goko was?
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
  • Respect: +1097
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: October 15, 2015, 09:50:17 pm »

The game has also started lagging and then crashing on me since this version. I wonder if it's due to increased traffic? I found the game remarkably stable before today in spite of its other issues.

There's an insane number of guests in the MF forums, so I bet it's traffic.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #360 on: October 15, 2015, 09:54:19 pm »
+2

Half the new posts on MF Forums right now are along the lines of

WHAT IS COMPUTER

HOW DO I MAKE DOMINION ON COMPUTER

mumposaur

• Steward
  • Respect: +19
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: October 15, 2015, 10:17:18 pm »

The largest frustration for me so far is trying to find games with decent players. If i use seek and select "never more than 1000 below my rating", I still get players that buy copper every extra buy, and I'm in the mid 4000s. No way to check their ratings to see if the seek isn't working or if its just their crappy rating system.

You can challenge specific players but you have to know they are online... I have resorted to posting in the chat asking if anyone is on with a decent iso rating but no luck for the most part.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: October 15, 2015, 10:19:25 pm »
+4

There really needs to be a list of who's actually online at the moment.

mumposaur

• Steward
  • Respect: +19
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: October 15, 2015, 10:21:06 pm »

Yes, maybe we need a game matching thread... at least until they implement the old "table" style matchmaking. They are doing that right??

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: October 15, 2015, 10:49:06 pm »

Yes, maybe we need a game matching thread... at least until they implement the old "table" style matchmaking. They are doing that right??

I sure hope not!

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: October 16, 2015, 12:39:58 am »
+1

I sure hope not!

Ain't nothing wrong with tables, man! It's having a bunch of separate lobbies that was the issue.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: October 16, 2015, 12:44:19 am »
+1

I have to say, played a lot of games tonight, and within the game, this is pretty playable now that you can turn animations off. Still room for improvement, but acceptable. Outside the game (matchmaking, rankings, crystal ball, etc) is still pretty rough.

(pro-tip - tab opens and closes the chat)

Dingan

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Dingan
  • Respect: +1731
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #367 on: October 16, 2015, 01:24:32 am »
+4

Ok sorry if this is all redundant info, because I haven't read all 15 pages of this topic, but I'm trying the new client for the first time, and it is TERRIBLE.  Like, really, really, really bad.  Goko was not perfect, but waaaayyy better than this.  I am using the latest version from the main website on a Linux system (not sure if that contributes to my problems or not).  My main complaints:
  • It is reeaaaaaaally slow.  Like, 90s-computer slow.  And worst of all, the slowness seems client-side, not server-side.  This also causes a lot of misclicks.  It seems when I click my mouse, the app doesn't actually register a click until like 1.5 seconds later, which might be somewhere else on the screen.  Terrible.
  • There is no way to match good/experienced players with other good/experienced players, at least not that I can tell.  (Or beginner players with other beginner players.)  Goko didn't have the greatest interface to do this, but at least it was possible.
  • From the pixelated graphics to the armor glove mouse pointer thingy, this app reminds me of playing an old Oregon Trail computer game that I played in my 2nd grade computer class, circa 1995.
  • There is no way to see a list of all players currently online.
  • The MF forums say this client is the "new and improved" version.  That annoys me.
  • I encountered a bug with trashing a Squire, but not gaining an attack card.  (Is this a known problem??)
  • If it's my turn first, I can't see who my opponent is, either in the log or chat or wherever, until it is their turn
  • I've dropped many rank positions since starting this client (at least according to the new client, which although I don't care about, it's annoying).
  • I have no way of telling if a game is pro-rated or casual-rated or whatever until the game starts (at least not that I could figure out... or maybe all games are pro-rated?  I can't even tell haha)
  • The chat doesn't persist between games
  • It doesn't remember my "Seek a Game" settings in between sessions
  • In the game settings section, "Never more than 1000 below my current rating" could be interpreted as "(Never more than 1000) below my current rating" or "Never more than (1000 below my current rating)".  Come on guys, basic Engrish 101.
  • I'm sure I'll come up with more crap over time...
Again, sorry if this is all repeated info... but hey, I just had to complain somewhere.  And I kind of feel better now I guess.  Do people experience these same things?  Or am I mistaken, and these things are actually solved, I'm just not looking in the right place?

I'll try the client on a Windows system tomorrow on my work laptop.  Hopefully that helps, but I have little faith.

The biggest problem of all is that I would see absolutely 0% adoption by new players to this client.  Diehards like us will put up with anything, but not my friends that I play IRL with.  I hope MF addresses this issue, as I really think the future of Dominion is heavily dependent on this **new and improved** app.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2015, 02:20:08 am by Dingan »

assemble_me

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: assemble me
  • Dominion stream/yt junkie
  • Respect: +808
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: October 16, 2015, 01:47:56 am »
+1

So, uh.. is it just me, or should the buttons for making selections (Hamlet) be in a different place than the buttons for ending a particular phase?

That has been a problem with Goko since 2012.

Isn't that kind of layout 101?
That's why Salvager had those extra buttons I loved that much. I've said it before that those Buttons should not be in the same spot at all. There are other obnoxious things like when you overpay and you have Potions and the buttons get bigger once you don't have a Potion in your "cash pool" any more and stuff like that. They've always been there but yeah, there was some hope MF would think about the layout before re-implementing all silly UI design decisions Goko has made... but no. (I haven't played with Potions and overpay yet but I just assume it's all the same)
« Last Edit: October 16, 2015, 01:52:06 am by assemble_me »
Join the f.ds Dominion league | My Twitch channel

... and none of his posts shall remain unedited

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25712
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: October 16, 2015, 02:52:26 am »
+6

From the pixelated graphics to the armor glove mouse pointer thingy, this app reminds me of playing an old Oregon Trail computer game that I played in my 2nd grade computer class, circa 1995.
Well that explains why my Smithies all got dysentery.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: October 16, 2015, 09:13:08 am »

I have to say, played a lot of games tonight, and within the game, this is pretty playable now that you can turn animations off. Still room for improvement, but acceptable. Outside the game (matchmaking, rankings, crystal ball, etc) is still pretty rough.

It's still choppy for me, and the application has kind of a grainy look. 

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: October 16, 2015, 09:14:22 am »
+1

• From the pixelated graphics to the armor glove mouse pointer thingy, this app reminds me of playing an old Oregon Trail computer game that I played in my 2nd grade computer class, circa 1995.

Right, this.  It looks like a game from 90s. 

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: October 16, 2015, 10:12:08 am »

Well, it was humming right along for me. Obviously not good that it's still bad for lots of players, but there must be something sorta working now if I'm the lucky bastard with a smooth program.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: October 16, 2015, 10:20:14 am »

I think there was just a lot of traffic last night.  It slowed last night for me as well, but it's normally quite speedy.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: October 16, 2015, 10:22:06 am »
+1

Well, it was humming right along for me. Obviously not good that it's still bad for lots of players, but there must be something sorta working now if I'm the lucky bastard with a smooth program.

Maybe I need to get a gaming PC!
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17  All

Page created in 2.33 seconds with 21 queries.