Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36]  All

Author Topic: Tavern Brawl Discussion  (Read 213376 times)

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
Re: Tavern Brawl Discussion
« Reply #875 on: May 17, 2018, 07:43:34 am »

Mind blast divine hymn was my pick. Beat a mind blast doomsayer quite handily. Haven’t played since.
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #876 on: May 17, 2018, 07:56:05 am »

Mind blast divine hymn was my pick. Beat a mind blast doomsayer quite handily. Haven’t played since.

There is also Mind Blast + Duskbreaker apparently. That seems good too.

I've heard of some other interesting ones like Murspark Eel + an even card for Shaman and Wax Elemental + Earthen Might for Druid.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #877 on: May 17, 2018, 03:06:34 pm »

I did Gibbering Mouther + Shadow Ascendant.  A Twig/Starfire druid got me to like 4 HP then gave up.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #878 on: May 17, 2018, 03:59:03 pm »

Yeah I'm happy Top 2 is back. It's very good this time. So far I'm seeing very high deck diversity.

I'm not even sure what I'd consider the strongest decks:
  • Mage obviously has some good ones: Black Cat + Arcane Missiles, Mana Wyrm + Arcane Missiles, Mana Wyrm + Primordial Glyph.
  • Druid does well with Naturalize-based decks. I don't know what pairs well with it, though picking a minion seems wise so that you have the option of naturalizing your own minions.
  • For Priest, Duskbreaker is pretty great. I got a pretty good winrate pairing it with Thoughtsteal, though there's probably a less greedy way to do it.

For Druid decks, Plated Bettle might be good to pair with Naturalize.

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #879 on: May 17, 2018, 07:30:29 pm »

I've heard of some other interesting ones like Murspark Eel + an even card for Shaman and Wax Elemental + Earthen Might for Druid.
I ran murkspark decks for a bit. First I tried pairing with Fireplume Phoenix (for no particular reason), then with Faerie Dragon (to counter naturalize decks). They did OK but not that well compared to the other decks I tried.

Earthen Might is a Shaman card. I played someone running Earthen Might Glacial Shard and lost vs it. I didn't get very good results with either the Glacial Shard or Wax Elemental variants, but I didn't play them for very long.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #880 on: May 17, 2018, 11:08:10 pm »

I ran murkspark decks for a bit. First I tried pairing with Fireplume Phoenix (for no particular reason), then with Faerie Dragon (to counter naturalize decks). They did OK but not that well compared to the other decks I tried.

Earthen Might is a Shaman card. I played someone running Earthen Might Glacial Shard and lost vs it. I didn't get very good results with either the Glacial Shard or Wax Elemental variants, but I didn't play them for very long.

Ooh wow I was thinking Earthen Scales.

Now that I think about it, Earthen Scales doesn't seem all that good with Wax Elemental.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 11:09:38 pm by markusin »

pingpongsam

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #881 on: May 18, 2018, 08:53:24 am »

Got the Druid card quest so picked Naturalize and Ferocious Howl. Destroyed all 4 opponents that came.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #882 on: May 18, 2018, 08:55:07 am »

The best was the Call to Arms Knife Juggler where I proceeded to Naturalize and burn all his jugglers leaving him with a hand of useless Call to Arms.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #883 on: May 18, 2018, 07:59:17 pm »

I hate mill decks. I resigned as soon as I saw someone play naturalize in this Tavern Brawl. It's just no fun playing against those decks.

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #884 on: May 19, 2018, 01:49:09 am »

I hate mill decks. I resigned as soon as I saw someone play naturalize in this Tavern Brawl. It's just no fun playing against those decks.
Well, it's totally sensible to resign auto-lose matchups in this brawl, and there are a lot of matchups like that. It's kind of the point of it, I think.

Some combinations that do well vs Naturalize, if you're looking to win (though I haven't played these all in reality):

Anything with Faerie Dragon wins. For example, Faerie Dragon + Duskbreaker or Murkspark Eel + Faerie Dragon.

Against Naturalize + Ferocious Howl (or other non-minion), Thoughtsteal+Duskbreaker wins. Steal their naturalizes and naturalize each duskbreaker on the same turn you play it. The Druid can't do anything. (Don't play Ferocious Howl.)

Against a Naturalize deck not running healing, any Mind Blast deck should win.

Mana Wyrm + Primordial Glyph felt unbeatable when I played vs it with a Naturalize deck.

Edit: TBH, Naturalize decks feel kind of weak to me. They lose to a lot.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 01:58:29 am by blueblimp »

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #885 on: July 05, 2018, 08:04:45 am »

This week's brawl has you spend your hero's health instead of mana for spells. My plan to win was to look for Shadowblade and Pickpocket (echo burgle spell), using Biteweed in the meantime (I still don't own Edwin). Once you play Shadowblade, your hero is immune for the rest of the turn, and then you can keep playing Pickpocket until the cards you get let you win.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #886 on: July 05, 2018, 09:34:23 am »

I just ran an Arcane Artificer burn mage.  Stayed at 30 the whole game.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #887 on: January 10, 2019, 11:41:16 am »

This week is "block constructed", with only Goblins vs. Gnomes, Grand Tournament, Witchwood, and Boomsday Project being legal. This even excludes basic/classic set.

Of course I just went mech Mage. They were asking for it by including both Boomsday and GvG. It was however insteresting to think about Mage not having access to Frostbolt and Fireball or even Flamestrike. Book of Specters is a great fit for this version of mech mage.

Any other thoughts on this one?

pingpongsam

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #888 on: January 16, 2019, 10:08:45 am »

This week is "block constructed", with only Goblins vs. Gnomes, Grand Tournament, Witchwood, and Boomsday Project being legal. This even excludes basic/classic set.

Of course I just went mech Mage. They were asking for it by including both Boomsday and GvG. It was however insteresting to think about Mage not having access to Frostbolt and Fireball or even Flamestrike. Book of Specters is a great fit for this version of mech mage.

I did the same but pretty sure Mech Huner would ahve been a better deck. I didn't care for the brawl so took a 1st game pack and never returned.

LostPhoenix

• Apprentice
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lost Phoenix
  • Your resident lurker
  • Respect: +325
    • View Profile
« Reply #889 on: January 16, 2019, 10:52:30 am »

I did the same but pretty sure Mech Huner would ahve been a better deck. I didn't care for the brawl so took a 1st game pack and never returned.

I definitely think Mech Hunter is the way to go. The deck normally doesn't use any cards outside of GvG and Boomsday anyway. It can get pretty gross openings. With perfect draws, you can put 28/19 worth of stats on the board on turn 2.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #890 on: January 18, 2019, 04:41:45 pm »

I definitely think Mech Hunter is the way to go. The deck normally doesn't use any cards outside of GvG and Boomsday anyway. It can get pretty gross openings. With perfect draws, you can put 28/19 worth of stats on the board on turn 2.

Yes, but I wanted to see Snowchugger back in action.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #891 on: September 26, 2019, 01:13:45 am »

Yay! A tavern brawl based on my favorite hero power!  (Deathstalker Rexxar)
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36]  All

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 21 queries.