Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Double Island Opener Wins  (Read 1194 times)

Dingan

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Dingan
  • Respect: +1731
    • View Profile
    • Website title
Double Island Opener Wins
« on: June 15, 2015, 03:23:50 pm »

http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20150612/log.516cd492e4b082c74d7a247a.1434158061962.txt

Code: [Select]
Haven, Vagrant, Watchtower, Gardens, Island, Treasure Map, Wandering Minstrel, Baker, Catacombs, Explorer
Relatively simple board here.  Good draw (Catacombs), no real thinning, no attack cards.  So some BM variant seemed the obvious way to go.

My opponent opened double Island (Baker was in Kingdom), and won.  Very surprised here.  I really didn't see it coming, and have pretty much always considered Island to be a terrible opener, much less buying TWO of them (except in a few edge cases).  It soon became clear to me that my opponent was aiming for a double - Treasure Map - BM thing, but even still I thought that would be just too slow compared to my Gold/Haven opening.  I had 2 Golds by turn 4, and was pretty much just buying Golds & Catacombs & Provinces from there on out.

Perhaps my opponent got lucky by pairing the TMs on T8 (just 3 turns after buying the first TM).  Regardless, was that the best strategy here?  Were TMs a last-ditch effort to "catch up" to my Gold/Haven opener?  Did I start greening too early (T8)?  Really confused here.  Props to MX though!
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 03:30:48 pm by Dingan »

ben_king

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: ben.king
  • formerly grsbmd
  • Respect: +612
    • View Profile
Re: Double Island Opener Wins
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2015, 04:03:48 pm »

With a Haven in his deck, he actually has a pretty good chance of lining up the Treasure Maps sometime during that shuffle.  I would estimate that it's probably better than 50%.  So it's a gamble on his part for sure, but not as foolhardy as trying to line up Treasure Maps with no support.

luser

• Tactician
  • Respect: +353
    • View Profile
Re: Double Island Opener Wins
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2015, 06:00:41 pm »
+1

I am also surprised that M.X picked that opening. I would open double-tm and buy havens for collision which should be faster.

As bm goes a catacombs/silver looks better than gold/haven due to better sifting you will get golds earlier.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.722 seconds with 22 queries.