Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 14  All

Author Topic: Dominion Online Open Beta coming up shortly!  (Read 97576 times)

Joseph2302

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Joseph2302
  • "Better to be lucky than good"
  • Respect: +576
    • View Profile
Re: Dominion Online Open Beta coming up shortly!
« Reply #100 on: June 12, 2015, 07:00:38 pm »
+3

Tell you what.  Let's just swear off playing until they fix things.

I have done this all throughout the closed beta. Every week they'd release a new version. Did they fix the animation? Oh, they didn't. Another week of no testing from me.

It's not that I'm boycotting it out of spite. I just have better things to do with my time than play a horribly slow, buggy game. Until they act on my current suggestion of "fix the animations already", I'm not going to waste time with it.
Honestly I feel the same way. They released some V2.0 pictures on Steam, everyone said "get rid of the animations, and work on the issues instead", and they just didn't listen. I'm not playing on the substandard 2.0 version until it's actually worth using.
Mafia Stats: (correct as of 2017)
Town: 22 games, 8 wins
Scum: 5 games, 3 wins

Wolphmaniac

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: DividedSpy
  • Respect: +279
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 12, 2015, 08:01:14 pm »
+1

Installed yesterday.

Uninstalled today.  Shit was so slow it was unbearable, not to mention the glitches like the cards in the deck glitch.  Online Dominion is dead to me.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #102 on: June 12, 2015, 08:17:37 pm »

I think it's pretty fast, actually. I mean, it's not even nearly as fast as Prismata, but it's faster than the 1.0 version.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Darth Vader

• Young Witch
  • You don't know the power of the draw card
  • Respect: +314
    • View Profile
    • Best Site Ever
« Reply #103 on: June 12, 2015, 10:31:30 pm »
+3

You have failed me for the last time, Admiral Dominion Online.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 12, 2015, 10:32:44 pm »

Oh, shut up, Ani.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Darth Vader

• Young Witch
  • You don't know the power of the draw card
  • Respect: +314
    • View Profile
    • Best Site Ever
« Reply #105 on: June 12, 2015, 10:34:49 pm »
+3

Oh, shut up, Ani.

Now that is a name I have not heard in a long time... A long time. Not since I matured from a sniveling emotional bitch to the badass that I now am.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 12, 2015, 10:36:41 pm »
+2

Oh, shut up, Ani.

Now that is a name I have not heard in a long time... A long time. Not since I matured from a sniveling emotional bitch to the badass that I now am.

Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Throwaway_bicycling

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +140
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 12, 2015, 10:38:09 pm »
+1

I think it's pretty fast, actually. I mean, it's not even nearly as fast as Prismata, but it's faster than the 1.0 version.
So that might have been true at one point, but, tonight, when I tried to play actual human opponents...it was a disaster. Everything took literally minutes to happen. I don't know why we did it, but I just played a ~75 minute game with Kenny Easwaran...for science...since we were trying to determine whether the excruciating lag was for all things or only some things. Honestly, it got so bad that we were berating each other for playing our Hamlets, since you have to react twice. Also, it was a Fool's Gold board...really painful.

Obviously, a bug that needs to be fixed, and likely one that was tickled by a bunch of new, weekend traffic ("Woot! New beta of Dominion out!!"), but still, it was just horrific.

Elanchana

• Minion
  • Princess of Derpminion
  • Respect: +1013
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 12, 2015, 11:04:49 pm »
+1

Yep, I'm getting lag too. Serious, every-move-is-taking-a-full-minute-and-my-computer-is-screaming lag. I'm pretty sure that it's a temporary glitch, because the login lockout was too, but still. Sigh.
Sure it's just a game. The same way that your best friend in the whole world is "just a friend".

TwitchYouTubeMusic

!!CHANGED MY USERNAME ON 2.0!!

Throwaway_bicycling

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 12, 2015, 11:05:55 pm »
+3

Obviously, a bug that needs to be fixed, and likely one that was tickled by a bunch of new, weekend traffic ("Woot! New beta of Dominion out!!"), but still, it was just horrific.
That said, I can't even play Serf Bot without preposterous lag, at least tonight.

Honestly. I am pretty sure that the collected f.ds community has sufficient programming skills to stomp all over what I have seen so far even without using the Isotropic code base. I really do believe that.

Elanchana

• Minion
  • Princess of Derpminion
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 12, 2015, 11:07:08 pm »
+1

Whoops, never mind. Login lockout is back.

For pete's sake, MF. Pottermore's beta was better than this.
Sure it's just a game. The same way that your best friend in the whole world is "just a friend".

TwitchYouTubeMusic

Throwaway_bicycling

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 12, 2015, 11:08:22 pm »

Yep, I'm getting lag too. Serious, every-move-is-taking-a-full-minute-and-my-computer-is-screaming lag. I'm pretty sure that it's a temporary glitch, because the login lockout was too, but still. Sigh.
Well, it had obviously better be temporary, or else their revenue stream goes to zero. But still: why can't I even play freaking SERF BOT in real time? That should not be touching the server, except for maybe chat, but chat is actually the one thing that works in real time.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 12, 2015, 11:11:04 pm »

Whoops, never mind. Login lockout is back.

For pete's sake, MF. Pottermore's beta was better than this.

If lockout means they're fixing things, I'm for it.

Elanchana

• Minion
  • Princess of Derpminion
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 12, 2015, 11:12:49 pm »

Actually... I'm going through the MF forum and it looks like the login lockout is caused by them fixing stuff, so that's good at least. This is what gives me hope.

Edit: Ninja'd by Wero

Edit2: There's something I REALLY want to test out when it comes back, and even if no one watches I'm gonna do it on stream just to have video evidence.

TwitchYouTubeMusic

pubby

• Minion
  • Respect: +1046
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 12, 2015, 11:18:09 pm »

I'm still confused. Is MF only rewriting the client, or did they also rewrite the server? Seems like the server is badly-coded dog shit. The fact that bugs like this are even possible just boggles my mind.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2015, 11:19:16 pm by pubby »

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 12, 2015, 11:19:36 pm »

I'm still confused. Is MF only rewriting the client, or did they also rewrite the server? Seems like the server is badly-coded dog shit. The fact that bugs like this are even possible just boggles my mind.

They also rewrote the server.

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
  • Respect: +1676
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 12, 2015, 11:54:40 pm »
+2

Hi all.

I haven't logged on here in ages; I think the last time I was here was during one of the Goko betas/launches. Goko just wasn't for me. When I heard this "new" version was in open beta I thought I'd give it a go.

I downloaded and installed it but I have yet to be able to sign up or sign in; it just sits and spins. While waiting for that to (not) work I've been perusing this thread and listening to the title music and let me tell you: both of those activities have convinced me to hit "snooze" on this thing for another month or two at least.

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3680
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 13, 2015, 12:02:21 am »

Hi all.

I haven't logged on here in ages; I think the last time I was here was during one of the Goko betas/launches. Goko just wasn't for me. When I heard this "new" version was in open beta I thought I'd give it a go.

I downloaded and installed it but I have yet to be able to sign up or sign in; it just sits and spins. While waiting for that to (not) work I've been perusing this thread and listening to the title music and let me tell you: both of those activities have convinced me to hit "snooze" on this thing for another month or two at least.

Right now, it's bad.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Elanchana

• Minion
  • Princess of Derpminion
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 13, 2015, 01:53:50 am »
+3

JACKPOT! Apparently Lost City got implemented early!

In all seriousness though, the program just got so glitchy that I thought my computer actually broke. Twice.

TwitchYouTubeMusic

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3680
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 13, 2015, 02:00:16 am »

JACKPOT! Apparently Lost City got implemented early!

In all seriousness though, the program just got so glitchy that I thought my computer actually broke. Twice.

WTF!? Seriously, this got released to public beta way too early.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: June 13, 2015, 02:35:03 am »

Yah. I got the beta invite two weeks ago. I tried it once and said 'f' this and never tried bothering with it again.

Gveoniz

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +263
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: June 13, 2015, 03:40:46 am »
+2

For some reasons, the game have been working fine enough for me except for the lack of sidebar.

matste

• Scout
  • Respect: +67
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: June 13, 2015, 04:58:35 am »
+9

After playing few games, the login screen started freezing for me. So I decided to investigate a little. Apparently the program tries to write into C:\Program Files (x86)\Dominion\Dominion_Data. Great. Let's run it as administrator. Probably the first program launch after the instalation was done with the administrator privileges. Now the screen doesn't freeze, just nothing happens after clicking the "Sign in" button.
What's in the logs?
WebSocketException: A timeout has occurred while reading an HTTP request/response
Nothing new. Just like with 1.0, the servers can't handle the traffic.

What's more interesting is that in the logs I can find password in plain text. The whole network communication is also logged. :-\
LogWeb: Send Controller: {"message":"login", "clientVersion":"2.0.29", "name":"matste", "password":"********"}

Goko was better.

Psyduck

• Bishop
  • Respect: +135
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: June 13, 2015, 05:58:18 am »
+3

I really feel that some people are being a bit too harsh on MakingFun.

I do agree that the current 2.0 version has lots of flaws and possibly it wasn't the best idea to release it while being in that state.
However, reading this thread one must assume that it's completely unplayable. Which is not true. I just played three games without experiencing major problems. Yes, it feels worse than the current 1.0 version, but much, much better that the 1.0 version when it was released.

What I like about MF is that they communicate with us, and make their plans and the current status more transparent.
In addition, they kept their promise to release the open beta on June 11th. I really didn't expect them to hold that date, as usually the release dates of new online games are postponed again and again. What's more, I completely expected the game to be unplayable due to load and performance issues for at least a couple of days. This, however, doesn't seem to cause problems.

Personally, I'll just wait until they fixed the bugs. Finding and addressing a bug is often easy, while fixing it is usually way more difficult. The list of known bugs is super long, but I'm completely sure the developers are doing their best to fix them as fast as possible. We should give them the time they need. As long as version 1.0 isn't shut down (which would make me change my mind), I don't feel like being worried at all.

Elanchana

• Minion
  • Princess of Derpminion
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 13, 2015, 08:59:14 am »
+1

I really feel that some people are being a bit too harsh on MakingFun.

I do agree that the current 2.0 version has lots of flaws and possibly it wasn't the best idea to release it while being in that state.
However, reading this thread one must assume that it's completely unplayable. Which is not true. I just played three games without experiencing major problems. Yes, it feels worse than the current 1.0 version, but much, much better that the 1.0 version when it was released.

What I like about MF is that they communicate with us, and make their plans and the current status more transparent.
In addition, they kept their promise to release the open beta on June 11th. I really didn't expect them to hold that date, as usually the release dates of new online games are postponed again and again. What's more, I completely expected the game to be unplayable due to load and performance issues for at least a couple of days. This, however, doesn't seem to cause problems.

Personally, I'll just wait until they fixed the bugs. Finding and addressing a bug is often easy, while fixing it is usually way more difficult. The list of known bugs is super long, but I'm completely sure the developers are doing their best to fix them as fast as possible. We should give them the time they need. As long as version 1.0 isn't shut down (which would make me change my mind), I don't feel like being worried at all.

All really good points. I said it on my stream but it's worth saying in text form: I truly believe that 2.0 is a good start. It actually does have some things that people wanted on Goko for years. And yes, they're listening to us when we tell them about the bugs and glitches - I don't know enough about programming to tell how long to expect them to take on fixing each one.

On the other hand, it's pretty clear that they bit off more than they could chew with the June 11th release date. I'm not sure if waiting until it was playable more often and had more features would have been the best idea, because everyone hates waiting, but they could probably give a warning on the site: "This beta still has many flaws and is not the full version." A lot of us were expecting something at least to the standard of pre-Salvager Goko, which, though far from perfect, is pretty dang high for a program that hasn't even been finished yet.

While we wait for them to finish it, we might as well tell them everything we see.

TwitchYouTubeMusic

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 14  All

Page created in 0.12 seconds with 21 queries.