Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Victory Card Idea  (Read 2220 times)

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
  • Respect: +690
    • View Profile
Victory Card Idea
« on: June 09, 2015, 11:42:48 am »
+1

Orchard
Victory - $3*

2VP
Worth an additional 2VP for every other player who has more Victory cards than you do.

This cards costs an additional $1 per player in the game.

Thoughts? Haven't tested it yet, but doesn't seem terribly crazy since you can't stock up on them too much without devaluing them.

ChocophileBenj

• Minion
  • Respect: +575
    • View Profile
Re: Victory Card Idea
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2015, 11:53:15 am »

They either are worth 2-4-6-... and almost always can't have the same value for two different players. It can lead to too many calculations "how many victory cards does he..." ; at least it was acceptable for Gardens or Silk Roads since you've only 1 poitn gap between two cards, and a gap every 10 cards but here it's a 2-VP gap for something that depends on the opponent's deck.
I guess it seems frustating and poltical beyond 2 players.
Chocolate is like victory points in Dominion. Both taste good but they'll hurt you if you eat too much of it instead of something else in your early days.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2015, 11:53:29 am »
+2

It's an interesting idea. I think you'd really have to try it to see if it's any fun. I'm not sure whether I'd enjoy tracking the number of Victory cards each other player has. Also the card incentivizes not buying Victory cards and therefore might prolong the game quite a bit.

I guess it seems frustating and poltical beyond 2 players.

I definitely can see it being frustrating, but I don't think it's at all political.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 11:54:34 am by LastFootnote »

ChocophileBenj

• Minion
  • Respect: +575
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2015, 12:12:51 pm »

Well... I meant political beyond 2 players : you can buy victory cards and hope another player won't do so in order not to buff another player's Orchards.

But Torturers aren't banned from 3+p games either.
Chocolate is like victory points in Dominion. Both taste good but they'll hurt you if you eat too much of it instead of something else in your early days.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2015, 12:15:16 pm »

Well... I meant political beyond 2 players : you can buy victory cards and hope another player won't do so in order not to buff another player's Orchards.

But Torturers aren't banned from 3+p games either.

I guess I sort of see how it could be political, but I doubt it actually creates politics in practice. You're never helping another player without hurting yourself, nor are you hurting another player without helping yourself. And you're never picking which player to hose; it's just whoever's next in line in terms of how many Victory cards they have.

Archetype

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2015, 06:20:03 pm »

It's an interesting idea. I think you'd really have to try it to see if it's any fun. I'm not sure whether I'd enjoy tracking the number of Victory cards each other player has. Also the card incentivizes not buying Victory cards and therefore might prolong the game quite a bit.

Disincentivizing buying Victory cards is a good point. In 2 player games that shouldn't be too big of a deal, but it definitely could be in 3+ since Orchards are potentially worth 6 VP. With that mindset, though, Orchard may end up being a trap card. If players with Orchards refuse to buy many Victory cards, the players without any can get Pronvinces/Gardens/whatever uncontested.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 06:21:24 pm by Archetype »

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3839
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2015, 06:44:11 pm »
+1

The way to fix the variable player number problem is to remove points from those other players, not add them to the buyer, IMHO.

Also, a card that requires that you have less victory cards than the other players can't give less points than province in the best case, otherwise it simply can't make you win...
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Archetype

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2015, 07:05:45 pm »

The way to fix the variable player number problem is to remove points from those other players, not add them to the buyer, IMHO.

Also, a card that requires that you have less victory cards than the other players can't give less points than province in the best case, otherwise it simply can't make you win...
Well, that's only true if the game ends on the Province pile emptying and/or the only Victory cards the opponent has are Provinces. Though considering that's a lot of games, you make a good point. Hm.

Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.894 seconds with 21 queries.