Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: Good long reads  (Read 21883 times)

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +532
    • View Profile
Re: Good long reads
« Reply #50 on: April 12, 2013, 05:11:18 pm »

"It’s completely artificial, we've invented it, and it’s never been on this planet before, so nothing—not animals or humans—is adapted to it,” she told me.

Oh, wait, except for the EM radiation bathing the Earth every single day?

You should probably read to the end? He mentions that.

I found it most compelling not because it debunks their theory, lots of people have already done that, but because he looks at some possible causes of it and what that says about human nature. I and I assume most people on this forum don't believe in EHM, or at least are extremely skeptical of it, but the fact that some people do is real and their reasons and what could possibly be done to help them is a worthwhile study.

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6125
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #51 on: April 12, 2013, 05:29:17 pm »

No, I saw that.  I don't know.  The article is certainly appropriately skeptical, but I can't help but feel it still encourages/legitimizes it. 

For the most part this is at least a "no-harm-no-foul" kind of thing (unlike say the anti-vaccination group), but their nuisance lawsuits place a hefty toll on their unfortunate innocent neighbors.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 12, 2013, 05:43:19 pm »

No, I saw that.  I don't know.  The article is certainly appropriately skeptical, but I can't help but feel it still encourages/legitimizes it. 

For the most part this is at least a "no-harm-no-foul" kind of thing (unlike say the anti-vaccination group), but their nuisance lawsuits place a hefty toll on their unfortunate innocent neighbors.

Everything I've read on the subject makes me think that the most appropriate thing to do would be to treat it as a mental health issue. Just pointing out that there's no credible science behind their condition doesn't seem to be working. They have symptoms, regardless of the cause their symptoms should be addressed as they do cause the person distress and make them lash out at their neighbours, the courts, power companies, etc. Just my two cents on the issue.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 12, 2013, 05:44:37 pm »
+1

"It’s completely artificial, we've invented it, and it’s never been on this planet before, so nothing—not animals or humans—is adapted to it,” she told me.

Oh, wait, except for the EM radiation bathing the Earth every single day?

You should probably read to the end? He mentions that.

I found it most compelling not because it debunks their theory, lots of people have already done that, but because he looks at some possible causes of it and what that says about human nature. I and I assume most people on this forum don't believe in EHM, or at least are extremely skeptical of it, but the fact that some people do is real and their reasons and what could possibly be done to help them is a worthwhile study.

I suffer from the opposite.  Can't get enough of that WiFi EMR.  Even imagining being without internet... *shudder*

Seriously though -- have scientists conduct those double blind tests out there where there isn't any "spillover".

shMerker

• Duke
  • Respect: +389
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 12, 2013, 06:12:17 pm »

Well supposing they do, do you think it's likely that someone who has rearranged their entire life around their EHS symptoms will simply say "oh I guess that's it then" or will they just come up with a new explanation for why the experiment doesn't turn up evidence for their condition?
"I take no responsibility whatsoever for those who get dizzy and pass out from running around this post."

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 12, 2013, 06:34:15 pm »

Well supposing they do, do you think it's likely that someone who has rearranged their entire life around their EHS symptoms will simply say "oh I guess that's it then" or will they just come up with a new explanation for why the experiment doesn't turn up evidence for their condition?

Fair enough point, but such a study might be helpful for future sufferers who might otherwise rearrange their lives as well.

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6125
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #56 on: April 12, 2013, 06:48:55 pm »
+3

I suffer from the opposite.  Can't get enough of that WiFi EMR.  Even imagining being without internet... *shudder*

I had a real thought-provoking moment the other day.  There was a Reddit topic asking, "What would you give up for $1 billion but not for $1 million?"  The answer that really hit home was "The Internet".

jotheonah

• Jester
  • Respect: +952
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 16, 2013, 07:55:42 pm »
+1

"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 23, 2013, 02:34:04 pm »

The 14 Most Dominant Performances in sports history

Wow, who'd have thought 13 of the 14 of the most dominant performances in all of sports history were about the US.......(and even the one that isnt he consider Owens instead of Bolt!)

So to give a slghtly more world view, for your consideration:

Don bradmans ashes series
Theres that disabled tennis woman who won every single game for about 11 years.
Brazil in the world cup
Hungary in football in the 50’s
The british olympic cycling team (mainly hoy in the 2008 olympics)
That swedish canoeist that won everything
Brian lara putting on 500 runs in one innings
That romanian who got perfect 10's in gymnastics

Can we add one more?:

http://news.yahoo.com/gayle-smashes-century-off-30-balls-makes-record-150938136--spt.html
Quote from: Voltgloss
Derphammering is when quickhammers go derp.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54
SCUM Wins: M2, M19, M23, M100, DM3, RM1, RM2, RM48, RM50
SCUM Losses: M15 (SK), M102 (Tr), OZ1, RM55

Total Wins: 30
Total Losses: 20

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 21, 2014, 12:47:12 pm »
+2

Did removing lead from petrol cause a drop in crime?

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-27067615
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12870
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #60 on: May 02, 2014, 11:48:37 am »

Not really a long long read, and not an article or an essay either, but I thought this was a good read and worth sharing.

http://www.creepypastaindex.com/creepypasta/worlds-best-school-psychologist
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12870
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 04, 2015, 01:15:02 pm »

http://io9.com/i-fooled-millions-into-thinking-chocolate-helps-weight-1707251800

I'd already read this, but had completely forgotten this thread existed so never posted about it. Thanks for res-ing the thread!

XerxesPraelor

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +364
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 04:23:45 pm by XerxesPraelor »
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 1.398 seconds with 21 queries.