Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Using your opponents strategy to beat them?  (Read 1625 times)

doesitgoboom

• Coppersmith
  • Respect: +19
    • View Profile
Using your opponents strategy to beat them?
« on: June 03, 2015, 09:20:06 am »

Last night I was in a league match where I missed seeing a rush win scenario at the start. It was a game with colonies and I started building towards getting them. I had hit a 9 buy early and so had a quick platinum giving me early position for money. Well I balked looking at the board seeing Feodum and Masterpiece sitting there. So when I had hit my second 9 I bought another platinum.  It wasn't til my opponent hit a big count and hammered on Masterpiece that I connected the dots of what he was going for.

Long story short thanks to my money advantage I was able to make a rush and up the ground. we split feodums but with masterpiece and my couple platinums I over ran him on the silver race. There was only two masterpieces left when the silver and feodums where gone. I feel a little lucky to win as I had never thought to go that route at the start.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
  • Respect: +1097
    • View Profile
Re: Using your opponents strategy to beat them?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2015, 11:09:13 am »
+4

Sounds like you learned something during the game and had built a flexible enough deck you could adapt. You shouldn't feel bad about this, especially since it was competitive play.

In casual play, I've been yelled at a few times for "copying" people's opening buys (I was second in turn order ::), how can I help the fact that you also spotted the best opening?) and that comes down to how will you have the most fun as a group.

doesitgoboom

• Coppersmith
  • Respect: +19
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2015, 12:08:36 pm »

Didn't feel bad just didn't know how may people have had that happen and Abandoned their orginal plan to out race the other person at their own game.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
  • Respect: +1097
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2015, 12:37:12 pm »

Didn't feel bad just didn't know how may people have had that happen and Abandoned their orginal plan to out race the other person at their own game.

For me, what usually happens is I see their strategy is better, and my only choice is to desperately try to buy out their components from under them and hope shuffle luck gives me a weird win.

I mentioned the "copying" thing simply because I unfortunately recently had to blacklist someone on Goko who rather...colorfully...took issue with me "copying" his strategy, even though he was playing an inferior version of mine (it was a Bridge board, he didn't have any Bridges...)

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12870
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2015, 12:54:32 pm »
+6

even though he was playing an inferior version of mine

Taxman?
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.35 seconds with 21 queries.