Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 14  All

Author Topic: Cards you hate!  (Read 101853 times)

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3680
    • View Profile
Re: Cards you hate!
« Reply #200 on: July 15, 2015, 10:48:43 am »

I don't know if you guys even want this discussion to revolve around the cards you hate anymore but I just need an outlet for my frustration: I. Hate. Warrior.

I really hate it.

What was Donald thinking?

I think any card that trashes a card off the top of your deck in general is oppressive. Knights, Saboteur, Swindler, Warrior.. All of them suck.

Dude, have you not played with Giant yet?

No, is it good?
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

theright555J

• Moneylender
  • Dragged into engines kicking and screaming!
  • Respect: +171
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: July 15, 2015, 12:56:46 pm »
+1

Man, Dominion is a weird favorite game for some of you folks who hate swingy-ness so much.

What happened to YMYOSL?

YMYOSL is an attitude, or more of a frame of mind.  It is the realization that many times (likely the vast majority) there were play decisions made that were much more impactful in the win or the loss than bad luck.

Of course in reality shuffle luck still has a significant impact, especially in the first few shuffles.  I probably struggle more from bashing myself being a bad player rather than realizing that sometimes the opponent really does get to go first, open with mountebank, then play it T3 and T5 before I've even got one copy in my deck.
Wondering what my name refers to?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cribbage_statistics

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1642
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: July 17, 2015, 12:02:44 am »

Man, Dominion is a weird favorite game for some of you folks who hate swingy-ness so much.

What happened to YMYOSL?

YMYOSL is an attitude, or more of a frame of mind.  It is the realization that many times (likely the vast majority) there were play decisions made that were much more impactful in the win or the loss than bad luck.

Of course in reality shuffle luck still has a significant impact, especially in the first few shuffles.  I probably struggle more from bashing myself being a bad player rather than realizing that sometimes the opponent really does get to go first, open with mountebank, then play it T3 and T5 before I've even got one copy in my deck.

It just seems contradictory to me to say that Dominion is a game with a significant amount of swingyness (luck) and also say that luck plays a minor role.

thespaceinvader

• Minion
  • Respect: +120
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: July 17, 2015, 04:06:00 am »

What happened to YMYOSL?

It just seems contradictory to me to say that Dominion is a game with a significant amount of swingyness (luck) and also say that luck plays a minor role.

Luck plays a lower role than skill on most occasions on most boards, but there are cards for which luck plays a MUCH higher role than others - Swindler, Sea Hag and Ambassador being key ones, because luck with those three can mean you're basically screwed from about turn 3 or 4, and you lose so much momentum as a result that it's almost impossible to recover.  If a Swindler hits your estate, you're laughing.  If it hits a copper it's a bit painful.  If it turns your 5 into a duchy, you're hosed.  Similarly for Sea Hag, whereas with Ambassador the difference between shedding two estates versus two coppers versus having your ambassadors clash when your opponent doesn't is HUGE.

No-one's saying Dominion has no luck, just that there are some cards which dramatically exacerbate its swinginess and do so much more than others in ways that are often not enjoyable.

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #204 on: July 17, 2015, 05:11:47 am »
+5

What happened to YMYOSL?

I don't want to get too into this since I don't have much time, but yes Dominion is a high-skill high-variance game. It may seem counter-intuitive, but that's what it is. Poker is another such game, anyone with low skill can beat top pros in one hand by being lucky, but over the course of a tournament, luck becomes less relevant since you need to get lucky a lot more to win a tournament, and over the course of a career, it's all skill.

So you can win one game or lose one game all on luck, and yeah that happens, but I tried getting upset over that and it doesn't get me anywhere. It's best (for me) to just whine about it and move on (whining about it makes me feel good and is amusing to watch, your mileage may (will) vary).

As for this talk of swingy cards in the previous post, I'll just add that this discussion assumes perfect play by both players -- but of course if you assume perfect play by both players then any game will be decided by luck. This is especially true for Ambassador -- which IMO is one of the highest skill cards in Dominion and one of the most difficult to play correctly (because you have to adapt to your draws, among other reasons).

As some people have said, YMYOSL is about keeping in mind that you can always improve your play -- even the top people in the world can do this because we still have a long way to go. I feel like I play far from perfectly every game and look at where I am on the leaderboard. Sure, I play a lot of games that are decided by luck, but just throwing your hands up and saying you got unlucky and ending the discussion there will not get you any better at Dominion. Most importantly, to say you lost because you got unlucky requires you to prove that you played perfectly which almost never happens and is even harder to prove. Never miss an opportunity to look at your play critically and learn from your mistakes; the moment you do that is the moment you stop getting better at Dominion.
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

theblankman

• Witch
  • Respect: +383
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: July 17, 2015, 01:34:28 pm »
+2

I'll just add that this discussion assumes perfect play by both players -- but of course if you assume perfect play by both players then any game will be decided by luck.

I'd say "good enough play" rather than "perfect play," meaning that at some skill level (higher on some kingdoms than others), both players do well enough that their mistakes have less bearing on the winner than luck.  Let's take Jack as an example, since I know he's among your favorite cards and you wrote the article on him.  When he appears without villages or his few other major synergies, and there aren't attacks nasty enough to slow him down (reasonably common conditions), you can't do much better than double-Jack.  And in a double-Jack mirror, you might decide Province vs Gold if you hit $8 a little early, or Gold vs Duchy later on, but do those affect the outcome more than who hits $8 and who hits $7 in the endgame?  Or whose Jacks collide, or miss a few shuffles? 

I'm sure we could list a surprising number of cards that behave the same way in the hands of top players: They frequently create games in which the variance caused by player decisions is less than that caused by the random number generator.  A bunch of those cards have already been mentioned in this thread.  So at your position on the leaderboard, and even more up in the WW/Stef area, I wouldn't say all the variance due to player decisions has been removed, but I would say enough of it has been removed that you start to see lots more games decided by luck than skill disparity. 
it's a shame that full-random is the de facto standard

iguanaiguana

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: iguana iguana
  • Respect: +1044
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: July 17, 2015, 01:49:50 pm »
+2

Cards you hate keeps coming up on my refresh so I finally will add one:

Loan. Hate that card.
Point iguana. Not that points really matter with a result, but still.
Igu is town or trying the hardest he ever has as scum.

Co0kieL0rd

• Minion
  • Respect: +864
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: July 17, 2015, 01:54:02 pm »

Loan. Hate that card.

I don't like Loan either but you can bet I'll go for it anyway on an engine board without other trashing. I once made a deck that consisted almost exclusively of Loans and Bakers and won. But there wasn't much else going on in the Kingdom, as you might imagine.
Check out my fan cards!
Dominion: Seasons - a small set Asper and I made that revolves around a unique and original mechanic
Roots and Renewal - this set is about interacting with the Supply and manipulating your opening turns
Flash cards - trying out a new concept

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12870
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #208 on: July 17, 2015, 01:59:56 pm »

And in a double-Jack mirror, you might decide Province vs Gold if you hit $8 a little early, or Gold vs Duchy later on, but do those affect the outcome more than who hits $8 and who hits $7 in the endgame?

Those affect who hits $8 and who hits $7 in the endgame. I think Jacks colliding early can make a bigger difference, but screwing up the decision when to green is definitely very significant and I'd say it matters more than end game shuffle luck.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: July 17, 2015, 02:00:50 pm »
+6

I'd say "good enough play" rather than "perfect play," meaning that at some skill level (higher on some kingdoms than others), both players do well enough that their mistakes have less bearing on the winner than luck.  Let's take Jack as an example, since I know he's among your favorite cards and you wrote the article on him.  When he appears without villages or his few other major synergies, and there aren't attacks nasty enough to slow him down (reasonably common conditions), you can't do much better than double-Jack.  And in a double-Jack mirror, you might decide Province vs Gold if you hit $8 a little early, or Gold vs Duchy later on, but do those affect the outcome more than who hits $8 and who hits $7 in the endgame?  Or whose Jacks collide, or miss a few shuffles?

I can't remember the last time I played straight DoubleJack. Your conditions aren't "reasonably common" at all, and they aren't even enough to make DoubleJack best since it's not hard at all for there to be nonterminals which can be usefully included in the deck, and it's even more likely there's a better terminal to put in the deck than a 2nd Jack. And then you need to forbid many alt-VP cards which can make the greening decisions in a Jack game more interesting.

So at your position on the leaderboard, and even more up in the WW/Stef area, I wouldn't say all the variance due to player decisions has been removed, but I would say enough of it has been removed that you start to see lots more games decided by luck than skill disparity.

You are speaking about something which you have no experience of. And I think making a common mistake when people talk about Dominion skill. Which is to talk about it as if it isn't something that varies wildly from game to game. I am playing these top players, and we are sometimes playing games really well, sometimes playing them ok, and sometimes playing them just terribly. And believe me, when you play terribly you get punished and you usually lose the game!

iguanaiguana

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: July 17, 2015, 02:22:51 pm »
+2

Loan. Hate that card.

I don't like Loan either but you can bet I'll go for it anyway on an engine board without other trashing. I once made a deck that consisted almost exclusively of Loans and Bakers and won. But there wasn't much else going on in the Kingdom, as you might imagine.

The very fact that loan is sometimes necessary is what makes me dislike it. No other trasher feels as terrible to play as loan, especially in any kingdom where realistically you are going to need at least one other treasure to hit 5 a few times and get going. Loan hitting silver when there is a 7/8 chance for it to hit copper feels a lot like someone sea hagging your sea hag, but technically you did it to yourself, which makes it just that much worse

Rubby

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +324
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: July 17, 2015, 03:34:01 pm »

Loan. Hate that card.

The very fact that loan is sometimes necessary is what makes me dislike it. No other trasher feels as terrible to play as loan, especially in any kingdom where realistically you are going to need at least one other treasure to hit 5 a few times and get going. Loan hitting silver when there is a 7/8 chance for it to hit copper feels a lot like someone sea hagging your sea hag, but technically you did it to yourself, which makes it just that much worse

Lookout is similar - maybe worse. It's often the strongest trashing option and not ignorable, but it's just not fun. It's uncomfortable to play, and when it ends up being a self-attack it's highly irritating.

iguanaiguana

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: July 17, 2015, 03:52:59 pm »

Loan. Hate that card.

Lookout is similar - maybe worse. It's often the strongest trashing option and not ignorable, but it's just not fun. It's uncomfortable to play, and when it ends up being a self-attack it's highly irritating.

I dispute this.

Early, as in the first few shuffles, lookout is completely safe. Later, you just need to play lookout carefully. If you get it early in the shuffle and have 3+ good cards and say less than six junk cards, just don't play it. If you're drawing your deck, a lot of times you can stop when you have 1-3 cards left, think through what they are, and, if the answer is one of them is a stray copper or what have you, you can still play lookout safely. I often go double lookout for this reason, because soon one can trash the other.

Loan otherwise plays similarly, but in my experience the tricks you can use to make sure it hits copper are considerably fewer, it doesn't work at all in a deck drawing engine without discard support, its terrible for cursing slogs, leaves your estates behind like little presents and for all this disadvantage its one advantage over lookout is that it produces a single coin, the very value of that which it is bought to eliminate from your deck.

So to me, they are not even in the same class.

But it does feel good to say all this. What a fine thread!

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1642
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: July 17, 2015, 04:13:06 pm »
+3

You are speaking about something which you have no experience of. And I think making a common mistake when people talk about Dominion skill. Which is to talk about it as if it isn't something that varies wildly from game to game. I am playing these top players, and we are sometimes playing games really well, sometimes playing them ok, and sometimes playing them just terribly. And believe me, when you play terribly you get punished and you usually lose the game!

It happens very rarely that top players play terribly. Usually when one top player plays decidedly worse, it's because they chose a strategy that turned out to be clearly inferior, because it wasn't that apparent which was the best one among the possible strategies. That happens sometimes. Usually though, good players will either choose the same strategy, possibly with small variations, or more or less equally good strategies. In either case they will usually make various small decisions about play during the game that are different. In most of these games luck will still be the deciding factor. I'm not sure how many, but when I say "most" I mean more than 50%.

The players I talk about here don't even have to be top players, but they have to be reasonably good. Obviously when the difference in skill is higher, then the percentage of games decided by luck will be lower, but it's still pretty high until you get to players who choose the absolutely wrong strategy or clearly play their strategy badly.

We'll never agree on this of course. I really feel like top players generally want to delude themselves into thinking that luck plays a much smaller role than it does.

I agree with AdamH that you can always get better. But if in every game you lose, you are convinced it's something you did wrong, you will not improve either, because you will often "learn" the wrong thing. You have to consider the luck factor, which is often significant, as well as what you did and what your opponent did, and navigate between them to try to understand what would have been the best play. That's difficult. Sometimes it's pretty much impossible, because the luck skewed it so much. If you play the same strategy later, with more or less the same cards (and your opponent does too) then you have more to go on and might start to draw some conclusions (if you remember both games that is!).

Rubby

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +324
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: July 17, 2015, 04:35:25 pm »

Loan. Hate that card.

I dispute this.

Early, as in the first few shuffles, lookout is completely safe. Later, you just need to play lookout carefully. If you get it early in the shuffle and have 3+ good cards and say less than six junk cards, just don't play it. If you're drawing your deck, a lot of times you can stop when you have 1-3 cards left, think through what they are, and, if the answer is one of them is a stray copper or what have you, you can still play lookout safely. I often go double lookout for this reason, because soon one can trash the other.

Loan otherwise plays similarly, but in my experience the tricks you can use to make sure it hits copper are considerably fewer, it doesn't work at all in a deck drawing engine without discard support, its terrible for cursing slogs, leaves your estates behind like little presents and for all this disadvantage its one advantage over lookout is that it produces a single coin, the very value of that which it is bought to eliminate from your deck.

So to me, they are not even in the same class.

But it does feel good to say all this. What a fine thread!

I'm not saying Lookout is as weak as Loan. I'm saying it can be more irritating and less fun - though I don't think Loan is fun either.

There are inevitably times where it's strategically correct to play a Lookout, but due to shuffle luck it ends up being a Knight attack against yourself. It's also irritating to have to stop playing it when you still have junk cards, and have it become a junk card itself.

The fun/irritation ranking is purely subjective, of course.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5347
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: July 17, 2015, 05:32:05 pm »
+4

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: July 17, 2015, 05:59:51 pm »
+1

Sure Lookout can sometimes trash good cards of yours, but when getting Lookout is the corrext choicd the advantage you get from trashing early over not trashing early allows you to win despite having to trash a good card at some point.

Loan though, that can fizzle from the very beginning if it hits a treasure you  had to gain early on. It can also screw you over if it skips over a terminal you gained early. Lookout pretty much never fails to trash junk when played early.

Donald X. considered both cards to be the duds of their respective sets, not necessarily because of power level but because of the level of enjoyment they provide. Maybe that says something.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12870
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #217 on: July 17, 2015, 06:13:47 pm »
+2

I don't think Lookout is swingy. Sometimes you get bad luck with it, but that's incredibly rare. If you track your deck, you can usually get a lot of control over what you're trashing with it by the time it's reasonable likely just playing it blindly might get you three good cards.

Loan is super awkward though.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: July 17, 2015, 06:33:41 pm »
+9

@Jeebus

I see top players and myself on a regular basis making the following types of mistakes:
- picking strategies that give them <5-10% chance of winning after turn 4
- missing forced wins
- players with huge deck quality advantages will make greening decisions that take almost sure wins down to coin flips

These are all sufficiently bad for me to call them "terrible". I am not just bullshitting, I can actually remember specific games from the past couple seasons of the league where these thing are happening in A Division of the league.

I basically disagree with the viewpoint that you can even determine whether luck or skill was the "deciding factor" in a game (in most cases). It's a game people play with themselves to have some closure or "understanding" about the outcome, but is mostly just our brains latching onto the most obvious and easily communicated "reason" why a game was lost or won. Dominion games are big ole mixed bags of decisions and shuffles and because some cases are clearly luck or skill it makes us want to pigeonhole all our games that way, but it can't be done.

You are accusing top players, and I assume me, of being delusional about luck's importance in Dominion. So to be on the safe side, I wouldn't want to be delusional: luck plays an enormously important role in how Dominion games play out. It's like there are cards shuffling all the time or something. I can't quantify luck vs. skill, have no interest and think's it's probably ill-defined.

I basically agree with you 100% on YMYOSL philosophy in theory and 100% with Adam in practice because one approach makes people look for mistakes and one makes people look for excuses. Anybody who gets better must necessarily hunt out their mistakes.

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #219 on: July 17, 2015, 07:07:45 pm »
+3

I've upvoted your post. Apparently it's a thing for me to upvote posts I disagree with, I'm not sure where this came from but I guess it's a thing I do. Hmm. Anyways, I thought I was upvoting your post because I respected the fact that you wrote it, even though I'm about to try and convince you of all the things you said that I think aren't correct. Hopefully you don't take offense, but even if you do, at least you got an upvote  :)

It happens very rarely that top players play terribly. Usually when one top player plays decidedly worse, it's because they chose a strategy that turned out to be clearly inferior,

I play terribly all of the time, there are very few games I go back an look at where I don't feel I made any mistakes at all. I'm sure other "top players" will say the same thing. And most of the time these misplays are tactical things -- not the kind you're talking about. Little ways I could have played my turn better or ordered my buys to make things move along quicker, or reduce the chance of bad things happening to me. Sometimes I catch these things while I'm playing, but a lot of the time I only see them on the replay or when someone in chat tells me about it. I'm quite sure that if someone looks at their play closely enough, they will find tons of these, everywhere. In most turns of almost every game.

Maybe your definition of "terribly" is something I'm not picking up on, but any misplay (even a small one) is a chance for me to learn from it. Maybe you don't find any benefit in looking at your past games closely, that's OK.

In most of these games luck will still be the deciding factor. I'm not sure how many, but when I say "most" I mean more than 50%.

There's an assumption here that "top players" are playing perfectly or "good enough", as someone has said, to make luck the deciding factor. Pardon me when I say I don't believe you. You can say it's true, but I can say it isn't true (or at least that I don't know that it's true, just to give you the burden of proof :P) but both of us are just saying things based on our guts and not on actual knowledge. That number (50%) was effectively pulled out of thin air, I can pull a number out of thin air too and say it's less than 50%.

But the point is not how much is decided by luck. I mean, sure, if what motivates you is being able to win consistently over people who you're much better than, then any high-variance game (like Dominion) is not going to be your favorite thing I guess. Maybe not at the competitive level, at least -- but even then we have a league where we've completed 8 seasons as had only two unique league champions who have never demoted from the top division. In a format like that, where we can smooth out a lot of the variance, you can see skill consistently coming through...

I agree with AdamH that you can always get better. But if in every game you lose, you are convinced it's something you did wrong, you will not improve either, because you will often "learn" the wrong thing. You have to consider the luck factor, which is often significant, as well as what you did and what your opponent did, and navigate between them to try to understand what would have been the best play. That's difficult. Sometimes it's pretty much impossible, because the luck skewed it so much. If you play the same strategy later, with more or less the same cards (and your opponent does too) then you have more to go on and might start to draw some conclusions (if you remember both games that is!).

If you believe this is the case, then I'd say you need to work on getting better at learning. When I start a thread to talk about something and get feedback, my takeaways aren't specific moves I should have done better that game, it's assumptions about the way I play the game that need to change. Do I need to adjust in my mind the power level of a card or a pair of cards? Do I need to put in a mental note to slow down at a certain point in some games? (Never press the "play all treasures" button in a Farmland game. Just don't ever do it before thinking about what you're going to buy.) Or maybe I just need to play a bunch of games with a card or two cards or something to get a feel for something. It will be different for you but if you can't learn from your past games, maybe try learning a different way? I mean, you describe this problem and that just doesn't register with me so maybe it's on your end. I'm sorry but I feel like this isn't really helpful, what I'm saying here. :-\

After a certain point, getting better at Dominion becomes more difficult. Sometimes the things that worked for you before will stop working for you as well and you need to find other things. But just giving up and saying it's luck, I promise that's not one of the things that will help you get better. Maybe it will help prevent you from getting tilted or something, so it certainly has some use.

And there's no doubt in my mind that the best player in the world plays far from perfectly.

We'll never agree on this of course. I really feel like top players generally want to delude themselves into thinking that luck plays a much smaller role than it does.

YMYOSL isn't something you say when you win and you want to rub it in your opponent's face. It's something you say when you lose and your opponent is apologizing because he feels you got unlucky.

It's something you say to the guy who has played ten games of Dominion and just got beat by an engine for the first time (he thought Big Money was unbeatable) and doesn't understand why you won, so he says you got lucky. It means that no matter how good you think you are, you can always find a way to get better if you work hard enough.

I'm not going to tell you that luck doesn't decide a lot of my games, but I just don't feel like my shuffle luck is worth talking about all that much, just that I try to make it the best I can.

PPE: MQ posted something, I'm sure it's along the lines of what I'm saying, since he was saying similar stuff earlier in the thread. Sorry if I'm redundant in some ways.
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

mameluke

• Duke
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: July 17, 2015, 11:56:19 pm »

Dominion is definitely a high variance game. Given two players with roughly equal skill, sure they could have played better, but often it comes down to luck. That's why there is shuffling in the game. We've all played the game where our two opening buys end up at the bottom of the deck on the first shuffle. It happens. Not often, but it does. And so on and so forth. Once you fall behind, it's very hard to come back with certain swingy cards, like Tournament, Sea Hag, Familiar, etc. That's what I think this discussion is about. It's not that way with every card (Oh boy, you got an early Cartographer, big whoop), but I really wish Dominion had fewer cards that did.

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3680
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: July 18, 2015, 12:07:37 am »

Dominion is definitely a high variance game. Given two players with roughly equal skill, sure they could have played better, but often it comes down to luck. That's why there is shuffling in the game. We've all played the game where our two opening buys end up at the bottom of the deck on the first shuffle. It happens. Not often, but it does. And so on and so forth. Once you fall behind, it's very hard to come back with certain swingy cards, like Tournament, Sea Hag, Familiar, etc. That's what I think this discussion is about. It's not that way with every card (Oh boy, you got an early Cartographer, big whoop), but I really wish Dominion had fewer cards that did.

Equal skill does constitute equal play. To quote Mic Quenoch, the top players make boneheaded decisions more often than one thinks. One player can be better at X strategy, another player worse, and the skill is equal. It's not accurate to just pit two of the same carbon copy person against one other.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

mameluke

• Duke
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: July 18, 2015, 12:14:51 am »

I don't disagree with that. I don't think it matters here either. My point is simply that there is often nothing you can do about your shuffle luck, or that you somehow always trash your opponent's estates, etc. There's nothing you can do about it. It's fun, sometimes. Sometimes, like Cultists or Familiar for sure, you never really had a shot to put your skill to the test.

Cuzz

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Cuzz
  • Respect: +1021
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: July 18, 2015, 01:16:58 am »

I basically disagree with the viewpoint that you can even determine whether luck or skill was the "deciding factor" in a game (in most cases). It's a game people play with themselves to have some closure or "understanding" about the outcome, but is mostly just our brains latching onto the most obvious and easily communicated "reason" why a game was lost or won. Dominion games are big ole mixed bags of decisions and shuffles and because some cases are clearly luck or skill it makes us want to pigeonhole all our games that way, but it can't be done.

This sort of twisted reasoning comes up in a lot of places. We often want things to have completely well-defined cause -> effect relationships, which they almost never do.

It's like when a basketball analyst looks for a "reason" why Team B lost, and they come up with something like Team A winning the rebound battle (when in fact the, uh, points battle is far more important).

theright555J

• Moneylender
  • Dragged into engines kicking and screaming!
  • Respect: +171
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: July 18, 2015, 10:05:38 am »

It's like when a basketball analyst looks for a "reason" why Team B lost, and they come up with something like Team A winning the rebound battle (when in fact the, uh, points battle is far more important).

Of course the points battle is in the end far more important.  The discussion in this thread is regarding the thought process behind why the points battle was lost!  Metrics in basketball like rebounds and points in the paint are important because they are associated with which teams were more consistently able to penetrate the opposition's defense to get good position near the rim.  Teams that can't do this live and die by perimeter shooting percentage and will therefore sometimes upset much better teams (i.e. March Madness) but will usually just get crushed.

It's harder to come up with such surrogate metrics in Dominion.  In the base-only era, "number of turns to 4 provinces" was a major one and was helpful for a while, but is now totally obsolete.  Something like "number of turns to drawing one's whole deck consistently" would be better, or "number of turns to geometric deck expansion".  This isn't possible in every game, however.

I really like Sklansky's Fundamental Theorem of Poker, which says something along the lines of "you gain everytime your opponent makes a decision differently than s/he would have if having the capacity to see your cards".  Of course bad beats and suck-outs happen all the time in poker, but experts look past each individual pot and see it as individual decisions, which if made optimally on a regular basis will lead to winning more money (not always winning more pots, but generally winning bigger pots with higher ROI).

The YMYOSL attitude tries to get at which individual decisions won and lost the game, regardless of shuffle luck and even regardless of the outcome! I have won games where I played terribly and lost games I feel I played pretty well.  It's honing the skill of decision analysis and being able to look past wins and losses in their own right.

As an example, I submit this game (Provinces/Estates):

Code: [Select]
Stonemason, Scheme, Bridge, Navigator, Silk Road, Young Witch, Bazaar, Horn of Plenty, Knights, Library, Wharf

http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20150715/log.51396c35e4b0cd4b5a40deea.1436984756436.txt

I was already behind and then totally blew it by misclicking in the midgame.  Nonetheless, we both get 4/3 on this board and only weak trashing is present (stonemason) but great draw in bazaar/wharf and possible big payload with bridge and HoP. Young Witch is present, again with very weak trashing, but an amazing bane in Scheme.  I chose to open YW/Silver hoping to spike 5 (and did so!), whereas he opened YW/Scheme and got the ideal for that (hit me with 2 curses, topdecked Scheme every time to ensure perfect defense).  Which opening is better given the flop possibilities in both cases? Is a totally different opening better?  Was a bridge mega or sort-of megaturn a pipe dream here?
Wondering what my name refers to?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cribbage_statistics
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 14  All

Page created in 2.855 seconds with 20 queries.