Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: EVENT OF THE WEEK #1: Mission  (Read 1829 times)

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
EVENT OF THE WEEK #1: Mission
« on: June 03, 2015, 11:40:50 am »
+3

It's time for an Event!  Let's talk about... Mission!

Starting questions:
* What other Events work best with Mission?
* How does Mission compare to Outpost?
* What are the best cards to play on a Mission?
* Are those guys in the picture walking toward or away from the viewer?
« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 11:09:33 pm by werothegreat »
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
Re: EVENT OF THE WEEK #1: Mission
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2015, 12:00:59 pm »
+1

The guys in the picture are walking toward the viewer. If you zoom in, you can see the eye slits in their helmets.

Really Mission can be great with almost any other Event. It may be especially good with Events that allow you to "buy" cards in a different way: Ball, Alms, Seaway, Raid, etc.

Other than the obligatory mention of Traveller upgrading, pretty much any card that does something other than giving you vanilla bonuses is good on a Mission turn. You can attack. You can trash cards. You can gain cards. You can remodel cards. You can set up your next turn (stack your deck, play Duration cards, play Reserve cards, discard Wine Merchant). It's always good to remember that Mission is an option.

EDIT: Mission and Outpost are pretty different. I think Mission has the edge because you can choose to buy it when it most benefits you. Also it seems "cheaper": the Action it takes to play Outpost and the hand space it takes up are steep costs.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 12:03:09 pm by LastFootnote »

ChocophileBenj

• Minion
  • Respect: +575
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2015, 12:15:50 pm »

Other events : the most expensive ones (lost arts, inheritance, pathfinding) seem obvious but is it reliable ? If you manage to hit $9 first turn you can buy a $5 card + mission, and then you have to be confident that you can hit $7-8 on your Mission turn to get that Pathfinding.

Mission VS outpost : well, Outpost is way better (buy it only once) when you can refill your hand in a reliable way. Some cards help you to do so : Scheme, Guide. There are also obvious refillers (Watchtower/Library, Menagerie, Minion too) but you still to get them in hand. However, it mostly requires the ideal cards (guide is the best !!!) or thin trashing.
This is why Mission is still better when you don't have these. And generally, you know when you should buy missions, that is when you know you'll likely remodel that Gold into a province this turn, or just buy another mission. Also, Mission has the advantage not to hurt your deck but the disavantage of having to be paid multiple times. So it's more flexible, moreover it's easier to afford.
All in all, they are very different. But there's a 3-turn combo not to forget (from DominionStrategy Wiki :  If you resolve Outpost first, you get the normal 3-card Outpost turn, then your Mission turn, giving you three turns in a row.). Can be helpful sometimes. Unfortunately, it's not as great as if you could preparing your outpost turn with your mission turn, plus it requires an engine, and cash !

Best cards to play :
Trashing cards (especially Remodel-> Province) I talked about are truly the best ! Salvager is quite bad, however.
Duration cards (Seaside or permanent) can be good too, mostly Tactician !

Where are they walking : I assume the guy (girl ?) who holds the flag is statistically right-handed and therefore walks away.
Chocolate is like victory points in Dominion. Both taste good but they'll hurt you if you eat too much of it instead of something else in your early days.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2019
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2015, 12:17:38 pm »

Where are they walking : I assume the guy (girl ?) who holds the flag is statistically right-handed and therefore walks away.

Unless they need their right hand free for a weapon or something.

jomini

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +768
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2015, 11:06:51 pm »

In the absolute worst case scenario, you can go Mission just to cycle your deck back to some goody if you lack an engine. This can easily be worth $4 (e.g. trigger a reshuffle a turn sooner with Possession in the discard). I've had decent luck with Chapel/Mission as an opening to get the deck thinning going a turn sooner (with half the odds of my Chapel missing the shuffle); I could see this sort of power opening work for other strong $3's too - stuff like Ambassador and Swindler comes to mind.

Mission is strongest when you can do something as close as possible to purchasing a $4 card. So that means decent odds of: gaining a $4 card some other way (e.g. Iw, Alms), anything that is likely to give a curse (Igg being a gimped Silver with a one-off cursing power), trashing cards (Bonfire is $3 and there are a lot of Trashers we get around that price that won't do anything better for a while), attacking (pretty much anything but militia variants could be worth it here, and even those if timing is right), or setting up next turn (using Wt to topdeck village + draw).

I have yet to play a Mission board where not buying it at least a few times was the right call.

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2015, 11:12:53 pm »

* Are those guys in the picture walking toward or away from the viewer?

Toward the viewer
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2015, 11:39:04 pm »

They're undoubtedly facing the viewer, but how do we know they aren't moving backwards, meekly retreating in the face of our overpowering awesomeness? It would certainly be thematic, as a turn where you don't buy anything isn't quite the "Veni, vidi, vici" sort of mission they probably had in mind.

As for the event itself, the coolest thing is that it allows for a KC-KC-Masq pin whenever a (non-)terminal silver is available, thus giving the seemingly retreating soldiers the last laugh after all.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.43 seconds with 21 queries.