Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Long John Silver and Cultivate--Other Uses for Trashing and Estate Tokens  (Read 2118 times)

adventure seeker

• Swindler
  • Respect: +4
    • View Profile

I've noticed in playing Adventures, which I love, that the Trashing, Estate, and Journey tokens are used infrequently, especially the first two of those. With that in mind, I'm trying out two new cards...

LONG JOHN SILVER
Action-Reaction
Cost $4
Choose one: +2 Cards or +$2
--
If this is the first time you played Long John Silver, put your Trashing token on a Supply pile.
Any time another player trashes a card from that pile, gain a Silver and put it into your hand.

CULTIVATE
Action
Cost $3
Trash this, then put your Estate token on a Victory card in the supply costing $5 or less.
For the rest of the game, when you buy a card from that pile, gain a copy of it.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 04:34:32 pm by adventure seeker »

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile

I'm not going to discuss the merits of these cards on their own, but just say that you can't use the Estate and Trashing tokens for these purposes - they already have specified purposes.  You would need to create your own tokens.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile

I'm not going to discuss the merits of these cards on their own, but just say that you can't use the Estate and Trashing tokens for these purposes - they already have specified purposes.  You would need to create your own tokens.

You could use the Estate token, I suppose, since that doesn't currently go on piles. But yes, the Trashing token can't do this.

adventure seeker

• Swindler
  • Respect: +4
    • View Profile

You could use the Estate token, I suppose, since that doesn't currently go on piles. But yes, the Trashing token can't do this.

I'm a little slow here. The Journey token already has multiple uses, so why not the Trashing and Estate tokens, so long as you don't include conflicting cards in the randomizer set? And wouldn't the only conflict be with the Plan event card?

« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 05:16:59 pm by adventure seeker »

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4443
    • View Profile
+1

I'm a little slow here. The Journey token already has multiple uses, so why not the Trashing and Estate tokens, so long as you don't include conflicting cards in the randomizer set.

The Journey token has no use other than to be flipped over, and then certain specific cards tell you what to do depending on whether or not it's flipped over. The rule book specifically says that the meaning of the Trashing token is, if it's on a pile, you can trash from your hand when buying from the pile.

Ghacob

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gender
  • J. They/them
  • Respect: +204
    • View Profile

Couldn't an "in games using this" fix that?

[blah blah text]

In games using this, [when an opponent trashes a card from a Supply pile that you have your Trashing token on, ][gain a Silver in hand]
Gender happened.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile

Couldn't an "in games using this" fix that?

[blah blah text]

In games using this, [when an opponent trashes a card from a Supply pile that you have your Trashing token on, ][gain a Silver in hand]

Sure, but it would also do what the Trashing token normally does.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2019
    • View Profile

I suspect the tokens are used in at least in part for practicality's sake. If you're testing new tokens, it makes perfect sense to use existing tokens in testing (as long as there are no conflicts). Of course, the cards should name different tokens, but there's no reason no to use the physical Estate and Trashing tokens.

Ghacob

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gender
  • J. They/them
  • Respect: +204
    • View Profile

Sure, but it would also do what the Trashing token normally does.
At that point it'd probably easier to just use one of the "vanilla" tokens to do your bidding then
and/or it might be worth thinking outside the box some
e.g.
move Your Opponents token to a pile, when your opponent does [thing] with card from pile, they do [attack effects]
or
Your opponent takes their [+buy] token. This does X until Y
Gender happened.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.495 seconds with 20 queries.