Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Excalibur  (Read 2556 times)

adventure seeker

• Swindler
  • Respect: +4
    • View Profile
Excalibur
« on: May 17, 2015, 12:52:52 pm »
+2

EXCALIBUR
Treasure-Victory
Cost: $6
3VP
While this is in play, you may trash up to 2 cards from your Tavern mat
and add their cost during your Buy phase.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 12:28:38 pm by adventure seeker »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
Re: Adventures Fan Card
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2015, 01:15:00 pm »
+2

Some re-wording is needed:

EXCALIBUR
Treasure-Victory
Cost: $6

When you play this, you may trash up to 2 cards from your Tavern mat. + equal to the total cost in coins of cards trashed.

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2015, 01:17:57 pm »

So a couple thoughts:

It's a neat concept I think. But one major problem is that it's likely to be played with in a Kingdom that has no Reserve cards. So it really should either be a Reserve card itself, or a card like Miser that uses the Tavern mat.

Also, The VP part of it seems pretty tacked on. I suppose that's also true of Nobles, but in general an action-victory card should have a reason for giving VP other than just a boost to what the card's strength would be otherwise.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

adventure seeker

• Swindler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2015, 04:42:52 pm »

So a couple thoughts:

It's a neat concept I think. But one major problem is that it's likely to be played with in a Kingdom that has no Reserve cards. So it really should either be a Reserve card itself, or a card like Miser that uses the Tavern mat.

Good thoughts. How about this?

EXCALIBUR
Treasure-Victory-Reserve
Cost $6
When you play this, choose one: Put it on your Tavern mat,
or trash up to 2 cards from your Tavern mat and +$ equal to the total cost in coins of cards trashed.
--
3VP
« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 06:46:59 pm by adventure seeker »

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12870
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2015, 05:26:13 pm »

( would do the handy symbols for + coins if I knew how to do that on here, thus the "add their cost.")

There isn't really a handy way to do them; they're just images from the wiki, so you'd have to go through the trouble of finding the correct symbol URL from there and then putting it in the [img] tags. I think it was Gherald who wrote a script that adds them as clickable buttons that automatically give you the [img] tags with the correct URL, but I don't think he made it publicly available (judging from the fact that I don't have it).

It is conventional to use "+$ equal to the total cost in coins of cards trashed".
« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 05:28:15 pm by Awaclus »
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

adventure seeker

• Swindler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2015, 06:47:15 pm »

Thanks, Awaclus. I made the changes above.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2015, 07:35:43 pm »
+1

Putting itself on the Tavern mat is a little too similar to Distant Lands, and I don't think it's the kind of card you'd want to be trashing anyway.

I think a more interesting one would be a card that can either Reserve a card from the Supply (up to a certain cost), or play a card from your Tavern mat.

Something like:

Fancy Name
$5 - Action

+1 Action

Choose one: either gain a non-Reserve Action from the Supply costing up to $4, putting it on your Tavern mat; or call a non-Reserve Action from your Tavern mat, to play it.

It has to be non-Reserve, otherwise you can gain all the Royal Carriages in one go with cost reduction.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2015, 08:24:42 pm »

Putting itself on the Tavern mat is a little too similar to Distant Lands, and I don't think it's the kind of card you'd want to be trashing anyway.

I think a more interesting one would be a card that can either Reserve a card from the Supply (up to a certain cost), or play a card from your Tavern mat.

Something like:

Fancy Name
$5 - Action

+1 Action

Choose one: either gain a non-Reserve Action from the Supply costing up to $4, putting it on your Tavern mat; or call a non-Reserve Action from your Tavern mat, to play it.

It has to be non-Reserve, otherwise you can gain all the Royal Carriages in one go with cost reduction.

I don't think I would call the card to play it. It could lead to some confusion because the rules of calling specify how such cards do not get played. Instead you can simply "play a card from your reserve mat".
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2015, 08:46:02 pm »

Something like:

Fancy Name
$5 - Action

+1 Action

I don't think I would call the card to play it. It could lead to some confusion because the rules of calling specify how such cards do not get played. Instead you can simply "play a card from your reserve mat".

Would it be clear enough that that takes it off the mat?
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2015, 08:55:16 pm »

Something like:

Fancy Name
$5 - Action

+1 Action

Would it be clear enough that that takes it off the mat?

I thought about that too, but seems that it shouldn't be interpreted any different than Herald or Golem.

adventure seeker

• Swindler
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2015, 12:21:13 am »

Well, the real intent of the card was not to make it a Reserve card, but to have a card capable of making use of Ratcatchers and Guides that are no longer as helpful. It's basically an expensive Duchy that gives you an option for late-game coinage when you need it. Instead of turning it into a Reserve card, maybe it could just offer another option for games that don't include the Tavern mat...

EXCALIBUR
Treasure-Victory
Cost $6
When you play this, either trash it or trash up to 2 cards from your Reserve mat.
+$ equal to the total cost in coins of cards trashed.
--
$?, 3Vp
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.402 seconds with 20 queries.