Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Doctor (overpay) + Overgrown Estate  (Read 2895 times)

DLloyd09

• Baron
  • Respect: +46
    • View Profile
Doctor (overpay) + Overgrown Estate
« on: May 05, 2015, 06:15:11 pm »
+2

Just came up in a game I was playing:

If on my turn I overpay for a Doctor and as part of resolving the overpay ability I reveal and decide to trash an Overgrown Estate, do I get +1 Card immediately, even if I still have to resolve more cards for the Doctor overpay, and put it into my hand? Or do I wait until I'm done resolving the overpay before drawing?

I also assume that I can't actually ever do anything with that card that I drew? If it's an Action, I can't play it since I'm in the buy phase, if it's a Treasure I can't use it since I can't lay down more Treasure after I've started buying cards.

Or... wait, I suppose if it's a Market Square I can gain a Gold with its reaction ability? Are there any other cards I could draw that I could possibly use in that situation?

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
Re: Doctor (overpay) + Overgrown Estate
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2015, 06:17:47 pm »
+2

You draw immediately.  Doctor's overpay trashes cards one at a time, not all at once.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

swedenman

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +118
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2015, 06:31:54 pm »
+1

You could also use Watchtower. But yeah, barring reactions I don't think you would ever be able to use the card drawn in that situation.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12870
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2015, 06:35:20 pm »
+2

Or... wait, I suppose if it's a Market Square I can gain a Gold with its reaction ability?

Yeah, that would work. If you have buys left, and the card you drew is a Watchtower or a Trader, you could also reveal that when you buy more cards this turn (EDIT: actually you can reveal them for the Doctor too, doesn't need to be another card), or you can use Farmland or Trade to trash whatever card you drew.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

DLloyd09

• Baron
  • Respect: +46
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2015, 07:22:29 pm »

Thanks everyone, appreciate the quick and thorough answers!

dane-m

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: dane-m
  • Respect: +198
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2015, 01:50:14 am »
+1

You could also use Watchtower. But yeah, barring reactions I don't think you would ever be able to use the card drawn in that situation.
How about when buying a Doctor with Black Market?

swedenman

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2015, 02:42:07 pm »

How about when buying a Doctor with Black Market?

That would also work.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2015, 05:57:50 pm »

You could also trash it by buying a Trade, or a card with your trashing token on it. Or put it back on your deck if your opponent has Haunted Woods in play. Or buy a Save and put it in your next turn's hand.

But the question was really about being able to play that card, and no, you cannot, not during the same turn anyway. (Except Black Market)
« Last Edit: May 09, 2015, 10:18:41 am by GendoIkari »
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Joseph2302

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Joseph2302
  • "Better to be lucky than good"
  • Respect: +576
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2015, 09:17:02 pm »

But yeah, barring reactions I don't think you would ever be able to use the card drawn in that situation.
Black Market obviously. Buy doctor from black market and overpay, trash OE, use the card you've drawn later in your action/buy phase.
Mafia Stats: (correct as of 2017)
Town: 22 games, 8 wins
Scum: 5 games, 3 wins

swedenman

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2015, 01:41:04 pm »

But yeah, barring reactions I don't think you would ever be able to use the card drawn in that situation.
Black Market obviously. Buy doctor from black market and overpay, trash OE, use the card you've drawn later in your action/buy phase.

Yes that was mentioned.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.489 seconds with 21 queries.