Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Had this Kingdom tonight as I only own (Base and Seaside)  (Read 6053 times)

doesitgoboom

• Coppersmith
  • Respect: +19
    • View Profile
Had this Kingdom tonight as I only own (Base and Seaside)
« on: May 14, 2015, 11:14:05 pm »

Chapel, chancellor, woodcutter, pirate ship, navigator, wharf, bazaar, festival, library, explorer. What would you do with this? I opened 5/2. I grabbed Wharf/Chapel.

TheOthin

• Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: TheOthin
  • Respect: +447
    • View Profile
Re: Had this Kingdom tonight as I only own (Base and Seaside)
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2015, 12:01:31 am »

Wharf, Chapel, and a village gives you everything you could ask for.

...You could ask for a cheaper village, but Bazaar will do.

belugawhale

• Moneylender
  • Something.
  • Respect: +212
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2015, 02:04:28 am »

Pirate Ship is useless on this board, since it only helps to trash the opponent's coppers. You have a good amount of virtual money in bazaar and festival. I'd open silver/chapel on a 4/3 (*maybe* navigator/chapel but I personally hate opening with two terminals)
removed by user

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12870
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2015, 05:37:43 am »

You have very good splitters, very good trashing, very good draw and decent payload. It's obviously an engine game. You want a Chapel, lots of Wharves, lots of Bazaars, lots of Festivals, possibly a Library or two if you can't get enough Wharves, and you might want an Explorer if you don't get the Library.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

iguanaiguana

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: iguana iguana
  • Respect: +1044
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2015, 09:12:05 am »

Why not open bazaar/chapel instead of wharf/chapel? bazaar is a peddler in addition to being a village, so it still helps you on turn 3/4. If it collides with chapel, that is not ideal, but chapel can still trash four cards in that case. With wharf, you have a decent chance of collision and may even draw chapel dead, and it doesn't seem like a seven card hand is a big improvement when you plan to use one to trash four anyway. Even your chances of T5 chapel are a little lower if you open bazaar. Obviously if you open bazaar, your next priority is to pick up probably a silver and two more wharves.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 09:13:21 am by iguanaiguana »
Point iguana. Not that points really matter with a result, but still.
Igu is town or trying the hardest he ever has as scum.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2015, 09:23:11 am »

Why not open bazaar/chapel instead of wharf/chapel? bazaar is a peddler in addition to being a village, so it still helps you on turn 3/4. If it collides with chapel, that is not ideal, but chapel can still trash four cards in that case. With wharf, you have a decent chance of collision and may even draw chapel dead, and it doesn't seem like a seven card hand is a big improvement when you plan to use one to trash four anyway. Even your chances of T5 chapel are a little lower if you open bazaar. Obviously if you open bazaar, your next priority is to pick up probably a silver and two more wharves.

The chances of drawing Chapel dead are as big as the chances of Chapel missing the reshuffle, and if you don't draw Chapel dead, it can't miss the reshuffle. Colliding Wharf and Chapel sucks a bit more than colliding Bazaar and Chapel, but I think Wharf is so much better for the early economy that it's worth it. But Bazaar/Chapel is a very good opening as well.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3839
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2015, 09:47:08 am »

If you play Wharf on turn 1, Chapel is guaranteed to miss the reshuffle (or be drawn dead).
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Rubby

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +324
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2015, 10:16:02 am »
+6

If you play Wharf on turn 1, Chapel is guaranteed to miss the reshuffle (or be drawn dead).
???
Playing Wharf on turn 1 would be quite a trick.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3839
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2015, 10:57:37 am »
+1

I meant Turn 3, obviously.  :-X
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

TheOthin

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2015, 11:17:25 am »

And if you play Wharf on Turn 4, you'd better hope Chapel was in the first five cards you drew.

On the other hand, Wharf also accelerates your cycling, and half its draws are non-terminal.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2019
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2015, 11:29:01 am »

Pirate Ship is useless on this board, since it only helps to trash the opponent's coppers. You have a good amount of virtual money in bazaar and festival. I'd open silver/chapel on a 4/3 (*maybe* navigator/chapel but I personally hate opening with two terminals)

Chapel and another terminal is not normally an issue since if you draw Chapel and Silver in the same hand early on, chances are you'll trash 3 cards and not use the Silver anyway.

doesitgoboom

• Coppersmith
  • Respect: +19
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2015, 12:01:37 pm »

Actually  I was wrong. Wharf was turn 3 buy. I went festival first to act as a non terminal and silver. I won with no treasure in my deck. I knew hitting 5 consistently was the main goal early.

Gherald

• Minion
  • Awe: +35
  • Respect: +1399
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2015, 10:55:09 pm »

I would say that on this board you optimally only want to buy Festivals after the Bazaars run out

Peddler effect > Silver effect
My opponent has more loot than me

TheOthin

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2015, 11:57:51 pm »

I would say that on this board you optimally only want to buy Festivals after the Bazaars run out

Only if there are cards left in your deck to draw.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2015, 09:01:51 am »
+1

???

I'm sure it's possible with some combination of bridge, messenger, lost city, and enough players.

*Edit* With 9 players:

Player 1 buys Messenger, passing out Bridge.
Players 2 and 3 buy Noble Brigand. (You have 1 card left in draw pile.)
Players 4 and 5 buy Lost City. (You draw, reshuffle, and draw again; so does player 6 who draws Bridge. You have 3 cards left in draw pile.)
Player 6 plays Bridge, buys Messenger, passing out Wharf; then buys Noble Brigand. (You have 1 card left in draw pile.)
Players 7 and 8 buy Lost City. (You draw, reshuffle, and draw again, drawing Wharf.)
You, who is player 9, plays Wharf.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 01:26:35 pm by GendoIkari »
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2015, 09:03:45 am »

Only if there are cards left in your deck to draw.

This. With enough Wharves, I don't think you need the draw from Bazaar. I'd rather have Festival once my engine gets going. Maybe Bazaar for the first couple, but then you should be playing enough Wharves that Festival is better.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3458
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2015, 02:46:42 pm »

Chapel / Wharf is a totally reasonable opening here on 5/2. I am pretty sure Wharf is pretty much always better than Library here, but a part of me would want to consider a Chapel / Library open instead and build more of a Library / Festival draw-to-x engine. After the first shuffle, if you have something like Library / E / C / C / C, you can skip over Chapel to ensure your early $5 for a Festival for example. Later when you have a few of each and you're really trying to just trash your last junk, you can play one festival, then library, skip everything except Chapel, and clear out. The deck control Library gives you is interesting.

That said, Wharf is still definitely better, I just think it could be more fun if you were playing more casually and just wanted to fuck around like that. I think you want some mix of Festival and Bazarr with Wharf, slightly more Bazarr but also a few Festivals for the extra Buy more than anything.

If I opened 4/3, there's not really any choice but Chapel / Silver.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

Gherald

• Minion
  • Awe: +35
  • Respect: +1399
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2015, 04:33:11 pm »

If you're playing enough Wharves to draw your deck, keep some coppers around and the point is moot. But you really want to spend enough small buys on silvers for Bazaars to pay off.
My opponent has more loot than me

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2015, 07:27:11 pm »

I would certainly take a few Festivals as they let you threaten/execute the Estate pile out. Somehow someone will interpret this as me saying I want zero Bazaars.

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +2146
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2015, 07:36:43 pm »
+2

???

I'm sure it's possible with some combination of bridge, messenger, lost city, and enough players.

*Edit* With 9 players:

Player 1 buys Messenger, passing out Bridge.
Players 2 and 3 buy Noble Brigand. (You have 1 card left in draw pile.)
Players 4 and 5 buy Lost City. (You draw, reshuffle, and draw again; so does player 6 who draws Bridge. You have 3 cards left in draw pile.)
Player 6 plays Bridge, buys Messenger, passing out Wharf; then buys Noble Brigand. (You have 1 card left in draw pile.)
Players 7 and 8 buy Lost City. (You draw, reshuffle, and draw again, drawing Wharf.)
You, who is player 9, plays Wharf.

And Chapel misses the shuffle in this case, so pacovf's point still stands!

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2015, 07:46:42 pm »
+1

I would certainly take a few Festivals as they let you threaten/execute the Estate pile out. Somehow someone will interpret this as me saying I want zero Bazaars.
But Bazaar draws you cards, you want to draw your whole deck here.  With 5 Wharves you won't be able to draw your whole deck without using one or more Bazaars. 

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2015, 07:49:54 pm »

But Bazaar draws you cards, you want to draw your whole deck here.  With 5 Wharves you won't be able to draw your whole deck without using one or more Bazaars.

Depends on the size of your deck.

Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 21 queries.