Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Peddler, Bishop, and Throne but only Shanty for draw  (Read 3988 times)

JW

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: JW
  • Respect: +1793
    • View Profile
Peddler, Bishop, and Throne but only Shanty for draw
« on: April 20, 2015, 03:44:49 pm »

Code: [Select]
Shanty Town, Workshop, Baron, Bishop, Mining Village, Moneylender, Throne Room, Worker's Village, Hoard, Peddler
Provinces/Estates. No log because I played this IRL (2-player). You need to go for Peddlers because it's too many points to overcome if your opponent can Bishop all 10 Peddlers, and there's a potential golden deck with Bishop you can go for after Peddlers run out.

I opened 5-2 for Moneylender, then got 2-6 (with Moneylender) on my second shuffle and picked up Workshop (possibly a mistake) into Shanty Towns and Worker's Villages, and then a Bishop and Throne Room. My opponent got Moneylender and then Bishop early, then Shanty Towns and Worker's Villages, winning the Peddler split 6-4.

I tried to build a golden deck (i.e., a deck that could buy a Province every turn while playing Bishop every turn to keep the deck in the same state) while trashing Peddlers to Bishop but it took too long to get going while my opponent got Hoard and crushed me by getting 7 Provinces. I found it hard to use Throne Room + Shanty Town effectively together, because Shanty Town can draw lone Throne Rooms, and you need to get Throne Room out of your hand to draw with Shanty Town.

Thoughts on how to play this appreciated!
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 04:26:07 pm by JW »

swedenman

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +118
    • View Profile
Re: Peddler, Bishop, and Throne but only Shanty for draw
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2015, 04:14:10 pm »

So the only successful Golden Deck I've ever built was Bishop/Fortress, so I'm not that familiar with building the standard Bishop-Silver-Silver-Gold-Province Golden Deck, but I'm pretty sure you need MUCH faster trashing to have any hope of pulling it together in time to beat your opponent. I would personally be hesitant to even try if Chapel wasn't on the board, or at least Steward or Remake (maybe Count?). Otherwise I don't see a Golden Deck beating straight BM, let alone BM+Hoard.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 04:16:15 pm by swedenman »

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2015, 03:31:21 am »

Moneylender is the correct opener, but you want to stock up on TR and WV and buy as many Peddlers as possible. I suppose a Bishop can fit in there somewhere. Also, remember that Bishop trashing a Peddler is like trashing a Province points-wise, so there is really no reason to try and go for a golden deck on this board.

And, arguably, TR/Village/Peddler is draw especially since you want to avoid adding treasures to your deck. You should have very few stop cards in your deck and hopefully, you can bishop away your estates. In other words, you have an engine on this board.

Flip5ide

• Apprentice
  • Highest Rank/Rating: 58/5600
  • Respect: +136
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2015, 03:33:50 am »

>not keeping a log IRL
"If at first you don't succeed, find out if the loser gets anything." - William Lyon Phelps

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2015, 04:03:50 am »
+2

And, arguably, TR/Village/Peddler is draw especially since you want to avoid adding treasures to your deck.

This is not draw. None of these cards in any combination increase your handsize.

In a mirror, Peddlers are going to split and there's no way that trashing Peddlers for VP is going to win you the game on its own. Hoard and Bishop have a minor positive synergy and Hoard's Gold gaining is good in dense decks.

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2015, 04:16:24 am »
+1

I think I like a moneylender/workshop opening, despite the risks of collision.

brian.marcy

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2015, 07:53:01 pm »

I don't know if you'd call this a "fool's" golden deck...

hoard, 2x bishop, worker's village, 4x peddlers.  Buy and trash province and gold each turn.  More peddlers and workers village will minimize the chance of dead draw (hoard, 2x bishop, province, gold).

I'm a newbie so please don't hate.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2015, 08:25:24 pm »
+1

With your initial draws it is not surprising your deck was stuck in second gear, however you seem to have lost your way a little too. The workshop seems ill-timed. There will probably be some 3 coin hands that end up buying shanty towns and the way to enable them is with excess worker's villages rather than throne rooms.

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2015, 09:48:10 pm »

I think I like a moneylender/workshop opening, despite the risks of collision.

I completely agree
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2015, 10:10:57 pm »
+2

I don't know if you'd call this a "fool's" golden deck...

hoard, 2x bishop, worker's village, 4x peddlers.  Buy and trash province and gold each turn.  More peddlers and workers village will minimize the chance of dead draw (hoard, 2x bishop, province, gold).

I'm a newbie so please don't hate.

<3

In decks like this, though, at some point you're going to draw your stop cards if you have 5 of them -- if you want your deck to be reliable you'll want to only have 4 stop cards, which in this case means you're going to have trouble playing two Bishops per turn.

In Golden decks like this with no draw, you either have to get golden super-fast or you're going to lose to a strong Big Money strategy. The trashing here is slow enough and Hoard can help Big Money power through the Provinces, I don't have much faith in it here.

Get it? Bishop? Faith? Anyone? Is this thing on?

Anyways, what would I do here? Well that largely depends on my opponent's strategy. If I'm getting free trashing with Bishop all game, I'm much more inclined to get a moneylender, get thin, contest Peddlers then get some Hoards and green from there. If not, I'm very tempted by Baron into Hoard+BM. With no draw the engine potential just isn't very good. Bishop may be a consideration in the midgame but it depends on my opponent.

I don't really see a place for Workshop in either of those decks.
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

JW

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2015, 10:23:07 pm »

Anyways, what would I do here? Well that largely depends on my opponent's strategy. If I'm getting free trashing with Bishop all game, I'm much more inclined to get a moneylender, get thin, contest Peddlers then get some Hoards and green from there. If not, I'm very tempted by Baron into Hoard+BM. With no draw the engine potential just isn't very good. Bishop may be a consideration in the midgame but it depends on my opponent.

Baron-Hoard Big Money is going to lose the vast majority of the time against a strategy involving a Moneylender-Workshop opening into Worker's Villages/Shanty Towns that will get all 10 Peddlers and then Bishop them for 5 VP each.

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2015, 11:05:07 pm »
+1

Baron-Hoard Big Money is going to lose the vast majority of the time against a strategy involving a Moneylender-Workshop opening into Worker's Villages/Shanty Towns that will get all 10 Peddlers and then Bishop them for 5 VP each.

I agree, which is why I said I wouldn't want to play Baron+Hoard+BM against that.
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

JW

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2015, 01:00:00 pm »

I agree, which is why I said I wouldn't want to play Baron+Hoard+BM against that.

What I'm getting at is that there's no reasonable strategy your opponent can play for which the best response will be Baron + Hoard + BM. If your opponent isn't going for a Peddler strategy, going for Peddlers will win most of the time. If your opponent is going for Peddlers, not going for Peddlers will lose most of the time. Therefore, your strategy should involve going for Peddlers.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.562 seconds with 21 queries.