Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Is Scrying Pool outclassed by Envoy here?  (Read 800 times)

JW

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: JW
  • Respect: +1793
    • View Profile
Is Scrying Pool outclassed by Envoy here?
« on: May 11, 2015, 02:23:25 pm »
+2

Code: [Select]
Scrying Pool, Doctor, Market Square, Trade Route, Envoy, Mining Village, Noble Brigand, Procession, Remake, Harem
Provinces/Estates. Log here My opponent (Flies) opens Remake-Market Square on 3-4 (which is what I would have done), while I have 4-3 and take Doctor (trashing estate)-Market Square.

On turn 3 I Doctor trash two coppers and buy Remake. Should I have named Estate instead? Is buying Remake a mistake because chances are good that they will collide on turn 5? That's what happens (Doctor, Remake, 3 Copper) but I figured if I drew one on turn 4 I'd be in good shape. I Remake Doctor into Potion for Scrying Pool. I thought Scrying Pool would be good here as you want multiple Market Square anyway, but I end up colliding Remake with Potion on turn 7. I take Pool instead of trashing with Remake though I am not sure that was the right choice as I still had many coppers/estates.

Meanwhile, my opponent lines up Remake with Market Square and Estate on turn 3 and crushes me with the Envoy-Mining Village engine. I think adding his third Gold on turn 7 is too much (possibly his second Gold on turn 6 as well), but it works out.

Interesting and fun Kingdom and I'm sure my play could have been much better. Thoughts appreciated.

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
Re: Is Scrying Pool outclassed by Envoy here?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2015, 02:54:45 pm »
+4

That Doctor is a bit better on 4/3 than it is on 3/4 doesn't mean you should take it over a Remake, which is simply the much better open. On 5/2 I'd probably take the Doctor but I wouldn't be totally surprised if Remake was still better anyway.

The main thing though is that if you decide to go for Scrying Pool (as I would), you should do so with the intention to play multiple Noble Brigands per turn. If the only way you're slowing down your opponent is by discarding some of his good cards, you're going to be way too slow.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.961 seconds with 21 queries.