Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Should I buy Adventures now, or wait for the reprint?  (Read 14240 times)

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2019
    • View Profile
Should I buy Adventures now, or wait for the reprint?
« on: May 07, 2015, 11:57:41 am »
+1

Apologies if this is beating a dead horse, but I'm really undecided about this, and I'm still super excited about playing Adventures. Plus, today is about when my FLGS said they'd hopefully have it in stock.

So I currently play IRL Dominion unsleeved, and between a friend and I we have all other sets.

So my question is, to those who have bought or played with the Adventures cards, what would you do? Is the fuss that has been made an exaggeration and I shouldn't worry, should I just cough up and sleeve everything (knowing of course that I'm fine playing Dominion as is unsleeved - it would need to be Adventures that would make the difference), or is it so bad that I should just leave it and wait the undetermined amount of time until good quality copies are available?

I'm assuming I'm not the only one unsure about what to do, and hopefully some kind of community consensus would be helpful.

jamfamsam

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: jamfamsam
  • Respect: +1214
    • View Profile
Re: Should I buy Adventures now, or wait for the reprint?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2015, 12:11:13 pm »

I play unsleeved and I can notice the difference. I didn't mention the card problem to 5 other people I have played with and all of them have noticed independently.

I was playing a Swindler game and when I would shuffle I found myself worrying about whether an Adventures card was near the top of my deck and then worrying about whether I should be worrying about that. I suppose I'll just have my opponent cut my deck and be done with it.

I have no advice to offer. I plan on buying a replacement copy when the problem has been fixed and giving away my other copy to someone who doesn't care or maybe the game store will let me return it to them for a demo copy and give me a discount on the new purchase.

It would be nice if RGG allowed us to just buy replacement cards from them and pay the cost of manufacturing and shipping and handling.
"There is no extra charge for awesomeness..."

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2015, 12:18:44 pm »
+1

Honestly, I can't notice a difference in the look of my cards.  Maybe Chris is Me just got a really off set, but from my experience, all the expansions have at least slightly differently colored backs.  When I first got Intrigue, I could almost tell which cards in my hand were Base, and which were Intrigue.  And then I just stopped caring because there is absolutely never an instance in Dominion where you care about the relative color of the backs of cards.

Yes, the cards are a little flimsier, but it's not really that big a deal.  Just buy the set.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2015, 12:29:51 pm »

Penny sleeves don't correct the flimsiness at all. Thick sleeves might, but I don't know for sure. I'd just buy the set. It doesn't really affect gameplay.

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4443
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2015, 12:50:25 pm »
+1

I play unsleeved and haven't noticed a difference. (Well, I can tell when taking the cards out of the box that the Adventures cards are a little more lightweight, but when actually handling the cards during gameplay I don't notice it and it doesn't impact the game.)

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2015, 12:58:17 pm »

At the end of the day the only opinion that matters is your own here.  If you have a friend who has/is getting Adventures maybe you could try playing with his and get a better idea.  Sadly you can't just play online and wait for the reprint yet...
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2015, 01:15:38 pm »

Is the reprint going to solve the flexibility issue? It's noticable, for sure, but I don't think it makes a huge difference during gameplay.
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2015, 02:19:19 pm »
+2

Is the reprint going to solve the flexibility issue?

It should, yes. The Temporum cards printed by Hasbro aren't bendy like the Dominion cards, so they have the capability to print good ones. Apparently, the bendiness is the result of printing the cards the wrong way on the cardstock (turned 90°). The Adventures cards are actually less bendy from side to side than the cards printed by Altenberger.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2015, 02:42:18 pm »

I notice the difference. Sleeves help though. You will probably notice, but I say go for it and buy it anyway.

Eran of Arcadia

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +514
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2015, 02:49:02 pm »

If I intentionally try bending my sleeved cards, I can notice the difference; but during the course of normal gameplay I don't handle my cards in a way that would make it at all obvious.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2015, 03:02:34 pm »

I've read reports and can myself report that sometimes the cards are actually damaged. I don't know if that gets addressed in a reprint.
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
  • Respect: +867
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2015, 03:07:31 pm »
+3

When I first got Intrigue, I could almost tell which cards in my hand were Base, and which were Intrigue.  And then I just stopped caring because there is absolutely never an instance in Dominion where you care about the relative color of the backs of cards.
Stash though! Boom.

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
  • Respect: +867
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2015, 03:08:04 pm »
+9

When I first got Intrigue, I could almost tell which cards in my hand were Base, and which were Intrigue.  And then I just stopped caring because there is absolutely never an instance in Dominion where you care about the relative color of the backs of cards.
Stash though! Boom.
Oh dear lord what have I become.

Aidan Millow

• Bishop
  • Respect: +116
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2015, 04:24:12 pm »
+3

Oh dear lord what have I become.

An Umbreon!

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25709
    • View Profile

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
  • Respect: +1097
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2015, 06:06:16 pm »

I've read reports and can myself report that sometimes the cards are actually damaged. I don't know if that gets addressed in a reprint.

What do you mean "actually damaged"? If you're talking off-center, torn, etc. RGG replaces those, like always, so there's no risk there.

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3458
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2015, 06:17:31 pm »

I'd be interested in seeing a few other people with Adventures sets taking pictures of their card backs next to other random Dominion card backs. Obviously lighting will impact the colors but it should be good enough to get an idea. I haven't seen other people complain about miscolored cards on the forums so I could have gotten a bad batch. I assume it would be quickly noticed since the vast majority of people seem to play with clear sleeves here. I'm going to see what RGG thinks about these cards and report back.

Honestly, the printing issues aren't great, but the game is fantastic, so I think buying a set and then getting card replacements if you get a bad batch is probably the best idea. From the posts I've seen on the forums RGG is very willing to send replacements if you have an actual issue.

Until then; I've ordered a few hundred sleeves in order to try out the idea of playing with sleeves without committing to 2800 sleeves and a new mass storage solution. You only need ~300 to sleeve all of your Base Cards plus the 10 Kingdom cards you're playing with at that particular time, which can be as low as $8 shipped.

(By the way, I know there are some color variations between sets, and if I stare at my Intrigue cards and my Dark Ages cards long enough I can kind of tell which are which, but my card print was just dramatically different. If you shuffle a bunch of dark brown cards and a light brown card is in there, it's hard to avoid.)
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 06:19:15 pm by Chris is me »
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1758
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2015, 12:15:11 am »

I'd be interested in seeing a few other people with Adventures sets taking pictures of their card backs next to other random Dominion card backs. Obviously lighting will impact the colors but it should be good enough to get an idea. I haven't seen other people complain about miscolored cards on the forums so I could have gotten a bad batch. I assume it would be quickly noticed since the vast majority of people seem to play with clear sleeves here. I'm going to see what RGG thinks about these cards and report back.

Honestly, the printing issues aren't great, but the game is fantastic, so I think buying a set and then getting card replacements if you get a bad batch is probably the best idea. From the posts I've seen on the forums RGG is very willing to send replacements if you have an actual issue.

Until then; I've ordered a few hundred sleeves in order to try out the idea of playing with sleeves without committing to 2800 sleeves and a new mass storage solution. You only need ~300 to sleeve all of your Base Cards plus the 10 Kingdom cards you're playing with at that particular time, which can be as low as $8 shipped.

(By the way, I know there are some color variations between sets, and if I stare at my Intrigue cards and my Dark Ages cards long enough I can kind of tell which are which, but my card print was just dramatically different. If you shuffle a bunch of dark brown cards and a light brown card is in there, it's hard to avoid.)

I spent a lot more time with my cards tonight, and now think my set probably matches yours in color difference.

I added this to my comments in the other thread:
Edit:
After spending a lot more time with the cards tonight trying to decide how many of them were offset significantly enough to request replacements, I've decided my set is probably very similar to Chris's.  Sometimes when I looked at two cards side by side it seemed like it was barely different, but other times I would look down at them sitting next to the not-perfectly-centered Spy I was comparing them to and thought "man, those look like they are a very different color".

I emailed RGG tonight and inquired about the color difference in addition to the off center cards, so I will see what they say.

I'll let you know what I decide to do with my set once I hear back from RGG.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2015, 09:17:54 am »

What do you mean "actually damaged"? If you're talking off-center, torn, etc. RGG replaces those, like always, so there's no risk there.

I mean nicked and torn at the edges showing white card material against the black edges. Whatever machine puts them in the shrink wrap most likely did it because it was isolated to the topmost face out card in each brick.
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

Chris is me

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2015, 09:57:11 am »

I mean nicked and torn at the edges showing white card material against the black edges. Whatever machine puts them in the shrink wrap most likely did it because it was isolated to the topmost face out card in each brick.

A few of my cards had some of these dings, but they were pretty much limited to the kind of damage that a few game's worth of plays would give to the cards anyway, so I didn't really care too much.

I'll be uploading a few pictures of some samples of my Adventures card backs compared to "new" (never been shuffled) card backs from each of the older expansions. It seems that the dramatic discoloring is limited to 1/3rd-1/2 of my Adventures cards, and I've just had the bad luck of repeatedly playing with those cards over the last few days. All of them seem a LITTLE off but not all of them are as bad as previous examples. Leads me to believe one of the printers was running out of ink or something.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 10:00:06 am by Chris is me »

bug me on discord

they/them

Petrovic

• Alchemist
  • Respect: +30
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2015, 10:26:51 am »
+1

I had about 10 or 12 stacks from Adventures that were noticeably lighter in color on the back than other sets. (I put all 30 stacks on the table and looked carefully.) Wednesday night I went on RGG's website and requested that those stacks be replaced, listing the ones affected. Thursday I got an email from RGG saying that replacements will be sent within 10 business days

Chris is me

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2015, 03:22:40 pm »
+2

I took a semi random sample of Adventures cards and a semi random sample of non-Adventures cards to compare. Here's the results - some are obviously more affected than others. http://imgur.com/a/Cprqc

My list of affected cards in my set is here. There were a few borderline cards I didn't list, these are just the blatant ones. I'm curious if it matches any other lists? I'm going to look at all 30 stacks at once to make sure I was thorough, this is just what I compiled in 5 minutes of flipping through my binder.

Code: [Select]
Most Affected Cards:
Amulet
Artificer
Bridge Troll
Caravan Guard
Duplicate
Gear
Guide
Magpie
Messenger
Ranger
Ratcatcher
Raze
Transmogrify
Page
Peasant

bug me on discord

they/them

Throwaway_bicycling

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +140
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2015, 03:58:22 pm »

I took a semi random sample of Adventures cards and a semi random sample of non-Adventures cards to compare. Here's the results - some are obviously more affected than others. http://imgur.com/a/Cprqc

My list of affected cards in my set is here. There were a few borderline cards I didn't list, these are just the blatant ones. I'm curious if it matches any other lists? I'm going to look at all 30 stacks at once to make sure I was thorough, this is just what I compiled in 5 minutes of flipping through my binder.

Code: [Select]
Most Affected Cards:
Amulet
Artificer
Bridge Troll
Caravan Guard
Duplicate
Gear
Guide
Magpie
Messenger
Ranger
Ratcatcher
Raze
Transmogrify
Page
Peasant

Interestingly, many of these are from the "gold band" pack (Distant Lands -> Dungeon) that was mis-cut in my set (RGG just sent replacements). It would be "convenient" if all of the problem cards were just these, which were I believe cut from the same sheet of stock, since correcting the production issue could be done by just fixing the one thing.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
  • Respect: +1097
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2015, 04:17:13 pm »

Unfortunately my cards refute this - my problem cards were the randomizers/events/4 Hirelings block.

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2015, 06:36:11 pm »

Yeah, the colour on that Duplicate Treasure is way off.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 22 queries.