Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Feature Request: Make resigning easier  (Read 6294 times)

ecq

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +162
    • View Profile
Feature Request: Make resigning easier
« on: January 01, 2012, 11:54:59 pm »
+1

It should be possible to resign at any time during any turn.  The "resign" button should also be more obvious. 

It seems as though, more often than not, if I'm way ahead in a game the other player will just disappear, possibly having closed the tab or similar.  It's very frustrating having to sit around and wait for a couple of minutes to force-resign the other person.  The resign button is hard to find, and I imagine many players don't know it's there.

Having a small child, I've also been in situations where I've needed to resign *right now* and the resign action has been unavailable to me.  It should be available at all times.  I'm sure it's more polite to use it on my turn, but it's even more polite to not have to pull the plug mid-turn due to an emergency.  And hey, sometimes I don't want to sit around and watch a 10 minute Scrying Pool turn.

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile
Re: Feature Request: Make resigning easier
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2012, 04:19:56 am »

I *think* the "exit" link at the bottom of the screen will do this. I've had games where an opponent has made instant decisions in reaction to my attack cards, for example, and then resign immediately at the beginning of their next turn. I assume that this is because they exitted during my turn. I don't think it works if you exit during your own turn though. That will force your opponent to wait for timeout.

I think.

^_^_^_^

• Minion
  • Crazy, You Have Been Warned
  • Respect: +111
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2012, 12:29:43 pm »

Also, I've miss clicked before and hit things when I don't use a mouse. Half my games are played with a touchpad and when I'm trying to play fast(often) I sometimes miss click. For example, one time I started my turn with treasure instead of my actions because I was thinking too fast and clicked before the mouse actually got to an action. I miss clicked on +$ twice by accident and lost the game because of that one turn(loss of VP). An easier way to miss click and lose is not something I approve of lol.
"Chicken Chicken Chicken"-Doug Z
"Chicken Chicken Chicken"-Donald X
The cost to buy me is 5Copper. What's Your Cost?

ecq

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +162
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2012, 05:15:14 pm »

I don't really care how the mechanics of it work, but I do think that it should be obvious how to resign and it should be possible to resign at any point.  It should be possible to solve the misclicking issue while still having the resign button available.  Just add a confirmation message.

As it stands, most people must be clicking "exit" or closing the tab.  It's irritating to sit around and wait for things to time out.

The FAQ suggests you can only resign at the start of your turn: http://dominion.isotropic.org/faq/#resign

I can't think of a reason for this limitation in 2 player.  In multiplayer, I could see it being trickier, but the problems I can think of seem solvable.

guided

• Jester
  • Respect: +94
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2012, 06:19:41 pm »

I don't think clicking "exit" causes you to resign. Pretty sure the opponent still has to wait for the timeout. In any case (back when I was most recently playing) I had a lot of people disappear on me and force me to wait for the timeout... though who knows whether any of them were actually clicking "exit".

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1757
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2012, 10:06:32 pm »

Just tested this using two different browsers because I was afraid I was causing others to wait for the timeout on occasion when I have decided to resign and just don't have the patience to wait for their long turn to complete.  (Yeah, I suspect many would refer to this as a "rage quit" but whatever.)  When I clicked the exit button during my opponents turn, it showed me as resigning immediately when their turn was complete.  I also tested playing my treasures and then clicking the exit button during my own turn, and that caused it to immediately show up as a resign.

I am pretty sure people who make you wait are either just closing the browser window, or intentionally leaving it and walking away.

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1635
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2012, 12:04:47 pm »

A little off topic, but I don't think resigning should be at all possible in multiplayer. I realize you can just close the tab or exit, but there's no reason why there should be a 'resign' button i multiplayer.

barsooma

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2012, 12:19:49 pm »

A little off topic, but I don't think resigning should be at all possible in multiplayer. I realize you can just close the tab or exit, but there's no reason why there should be a 'resign' button i multiplayer.

Um... so that people don't close the tab and leave the rest hanging for 2 minutes? Think a little.

Jeebus

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2012, 10:10:25 am »

Um... so that people don't close the tab and leave the rest hanging for 2 minutes? Think a little.
Thanks for that random act of rudeness.
You can always close the tab. You can always just switch to another window. The point is that resigning in multiplayer is never* okay, and the site shouldn't condone it.

*Yes, of course if something unforeseen happens. But 95% of the time that's not why people resign.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4381
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2012, 10:24:11 am »

You can always close the tab. You can always just switch to another window. The point is that resigning in multiplayer is never* okay, and the site shouldn't condone it.

*Yes, of course if something unforeseen happens. But 95% of the time that's not why people resign.
I dunno, seems like barsooma was making a reasonable point to me, one that's better seen in context. I mean, we're talking possible here, so those 5% of cases matter.
To which I might add, how the heck do you know why people resign?  You totally just pulled your statistic out of the air.

Jeebus

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2012, 01:08:09 pm »

I dunno, seems like barsooma was making a reasonable point to me, one that's better seen in context. I mean, we're talking possible here, so those 5% of cases matter.
To which I might add, how the heck do you know why people resign?  You totally just pulled your statistic out of the air.

Yep, of course I pulled it out of the air. :) You think I tried to make it seem like it was based on studies?

It was based on experience of course. I play mostly two player these days, but I'd say that for every resignation when somebody "has to go", there are at least 30 that are because they are losing (or think they are). If we factor in multi player games, there might be more "has to go" resignations, if we assume that there are some people who don't resign in multi player but would in two player. I have a feeling there aren't too many of those; people who resign, generally just do so no matter what. But I can't know that for sure.

Anyway, 5% (1 out of 20) doesn't seem unreasonable. So the down side to removing the 'resign' button in multi player would be that in those 5% of cases, people might close the tab, leaving the other player's hanging. Actually some of those people might exit instead, which wouldn't be a problem. So only when they close the tab instead of exiting.

The up side would be that in those other 95% av cases, some of those people might be discouraged from resigning because there's no button. (The FAQ should also state that you shouldn't resign in multi player.) It's pretty hard to say how many resignations that would prevent though. There's also the problem that some people might close the tab instead of not resigning, or exiting.

However, there's also the result of these two undesirable outcomes to consider. Closing the tab as opposed to resigning is inconvenient for the other players, nothing more. Resigning (or closing the tab/exiting) in a multi player game ruins the game, technically. I think that ranks far higher.

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1757
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2012, 01:19:50 pm »
+2

78% of statistics are made up on the spot.

buggibum

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +4
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2012, 01:41:40 pm »

I guess it have been discussed before, but i think it should be easier to give quitters a flag with the count of quits. So if someone has too much quits its harder for them to find a game. So those "95 %" of quitters will drop very soon.

def

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +166
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2012, 02:14:36 pm »

78% of statistics are made up on the spot.

Right, and while we are at it don't forget:
"The problem with quotes on the internet is that it is had to verify their authenticity" - Abraham Lincoln

barsooma

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2012, 03:15:14 pm »

You're welcome - seems like you need something to get you to pull your head out of your ass. You cannot mandate courtesy. If you remove the option for people to quit in a courteous way, then they will use the even easier method of closing the tab, which forces everyone else to wait two minutes if they do wish to carry on with the game.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2012, 03:18:12 pm by barsooma »

toaster

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +46
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2012, 09:55:39 pm »
+1

I guess it have been discussed before, but i think it should be easier to give quitters a flag with the count of quits. So if someone has too much quits its harder for them to find a game. So those "95 %" of quitters will drop very soon.

That assumes the resignation is an undesirable outcome for a game.  While in multiplayer games that seems a fair assumption...in two players it's an arguable assertion at best.

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2012, 05:04:17 am »

(The FAQ should also state that you shouldn't resign in multi player.)

The last time I read it the FAQ mentioned that you should ask you opponents if they are OK with resigning, and explicitly mentions multiplayer as problematic case.

Jeebus

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2012, 07:02:34 pm »

You're welcome - seems like you need something to get you to pull your head out of your ass. You cannot mandate courtesy. If you remove the option for people to quit in a courteous way, then they will use the even easier method of closing the tab, which forces everyone else to wait two minutes if they do wish to carry on with the game.

I gave a clear reasoning for my position, which you haven't responded to, choosing instead to repeat yourself, even more obnoxiously. I believe that is the very behavior commonly described as "having your head up your ass." Funny!
"You cannot mandate courtesy." - Ah, you prove the veracity of this statement too. Clever!
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.062 seconds with 21 queries.