Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: is Harvest/Tunnel OK?  (Read 1096 times)

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
is Harvest/Tunnel OK?
« on: May 02, 2015, 01:07:41 pm »
+1

I saw this board and thought it looked pretty weak. Normally Alchemist doesn't appeal to me, but I didn't see anything that could beat a simple Alchemist stack here. I also liked its unsmugglability.

Code: [Select]
Lighthouse, Pawn, Smugglers, Tunnel, Alchemist, Treasure Map, Bandit Camp, Harvest, Merchant Ship, Treasury
http://logs.prod.dominion.makingfun.com//20150502/log.513ac8bfe4b05fa06a312dcd.1430586020503.txt

My opponent surprised me by getting a Harvest with his first 6. I'm so unaccustomed to Harvest that I had already said to myself "there's nothing on this board that can discard a Tunnel." Even though I had definitely had better Alchemist luck than average, I only managed to tie the game. (Note that we didn't have point counter on). What can I do to improve my Alchemist stack? Is there some payload purchase that should be different? Or is Harvest/Tunnel better than I'm giving it credit for?

nate_w

• Navigator
  • Respect: +115
    • View Profile
Re: is Harvest/Tunnel OK?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2015, 01:29:17 pm »
+1

I think you needed an early pawn over a silver, possibly even the gold, and possibly over the second potion.  You need the + buy to get the most of your alchemist stack.

I don't buy that harvest tunnel is particularly strong.  I think on an incredibly weak board it could beat big money (maybe??) but in general, it doesn't seem superb.  I think had you bought an early pawn you would have won handily.

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile
Re: is Harvest/Tunnel OK?
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2015, 01:49:43 pm »
+2

Harvest Tunnel is not good at all. If I'm skipping Alchemists then I'm going for Merchant Ships with possibly some Treasuries or Bandit Camps if I hit $5 too much. Probably add a Smugglers if my opponent is doing something similar or anything remotely treasure based.

You are playing Alchemist Big Money which is also not a thing. nate_w is totally right about Pawns, I don't see any reason not to open with Pawn/Potion. I think you should really try to limit your Silvers (no more than 1?) and I'd rather take Bandit Camps or Treasuries than Golds. The Bandit Camps actually work well with Pawns here. Smugglers could find a use early depending on what your opponent is doing, and possibly later if you need to catch up with Duchies/Tunnels and they give you that chance.

That said, I don't really know if the Alchemist stack is competitive with just treasures and money producing actions here. Probably it is?
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 20 queries.