Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41]  All

Author Topic: M83: Duel Mafia (Game Over, Town Wins!)  (Read 100769 times)

Haddock

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Haddock
  • Doc Cod
    • View Profile
Re: M83: Duel Mafia (Day 4)
« Reply #1000 on: August 14, 2016, 07:51:40 am »

I remain unconvinced that alignment changes are a good idea.
Well it's not like we had any real evidence either way...
That's not a fault of the setup though, just the consequence of everyone being inactive.
Huh?
Inactivity had nothing to do with the lack of alignment changes in this game.

Also that's not the point. How can you comment about whether alignment changes are good on not based on this game?
The best reason to lynch Haddock is the meltdown we get to witness on the wagon runup. I mean, we should totally wagon him every day just for the lulz.

M Town Wins-Losses (6-2, 75%): 71, 72, 76, 81, 83, 87 - 79, 82.  M Scum Wins-Losses (2-1, 67%): 80, 101 - 70.
RMM Town Wins-Losses (3-1, 75%): 42, 47, 49 - 31.  RMM Scum Wins-Losses (3-3, 50%): 33, 37, 43 - 29, 32, 35.
Modded: M75, M84, RMM38.     Mislynched (M-RMM): None - 42.     Correctly lynched (M-RMM): 101 - 33, 33, 35.       MVPs: RMM37, M87

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
    • View Profile
« Reply #1001 on: August 14, 2016, 08:01:36 am »

Also that's not the point. How can you comment about whether alignment changes are good on not based on this game?
Well, the way for scum to win was to force a situation that is basically a new vanilla game with 5 players and 1 scum. That didn't seem fun.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

iguanaiguana

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: iguana iguana
    • View Profile
« Reply #1002 on: August 14, 2016, 09:53:52 am »

You could tweak the game where there is no final duel, and players just have to find the final scum. So only a duel as long as 2 or 3 scums are still alive.

You lose a little bit of the superfast pace with that tweak though.
Point iguana. Not that points really matter with a result, but still.
Igu is town or trying the hardest he ever has as scum.

gkrieg13

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: gkrieg
    • View Profile
« Reply #1003 on: August 14, 2016, 10:01:57 am »

Well, the way for scum to win was to force a situation that is basically a new vanilla game with 5 players and 1 scum. That didn't seem fun.

I agree. Especially because the last scum to flip wouldn't win. If I had changed alignment I would've just outed myself because there was no possible way of winning at that point.

gkrieg13

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: gkrieg
    • View Profile
« Reply #1004 on: August 14, 2016, 10:03:10 am »

I agree. Especially because the last scum to flip wouldn't win. If I had changed alignment I would've just outed myself because there was no possible way of winning at that point.

Never mind. I totally read something that doesn't exist. Disregard what I said there.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
    • View Profile
« Reply #1005 on: August 14, 2016, 11:12:59 am »

Thanks all, good game.  I enjoyed it.

I think gkrieg's fix is good.  I believe there is a still a way to make alignment changes work.

Thanks with the MVP, too.  That puts me in the all-time lead for MVP nods!
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1006 on: August 14, 2016, 11:49:41 am »

Yay
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

Haddock

• Minion
  • Doc Cod
    • View Profile
« Reply #1007 on: August 14, 2016, 11:50:53 am »

Thanks for the game silver. Really good.
I'm really happy with my reads this game. Maybe I should always pay that little attention.
The best reason to lynch Haddock is the meltdown we get to witness on the wagon runup. I mean, we should totally wagon him every day just for the lulz.

M Town Wins-Losses (6-2, 75%): 71, 72, 76, 81, 83, 87 - 79, 82.  M Scum Wins-Losses (2-1, 67%): 80, 101 - 70.
RMM Town Wins-Losses (3-1, 75%): 42, 47, 49 - 31.  RMM Scum Wins-Losses (3-3, 50%): 33, 37, 43 - 29, 32, 35.
Modded: M75, M84, RMM38.     Mislynched (M-RMM): None - 42.     Correctly lynched (M-RMM): 101 - 33, 33, 35.       MVPs: RMM37, M87

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #1008 on: August 14, 2016, 01:30:07 pm »

I'm really happy with my reads this game. Maybe I should always pay that little attention.

there might actually be truth to that. It's possible that in paying more attention you lose yourself in details, and that getting broad-stroke impressions of style yields better results.

Of course, it's also possible that it was variance.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1009 on: August 14, 2016, 01:32:21 pm »

Well, the way for scum to win was to force a situation that is basically a new vanilla game with 5 players and 1 scum.

Players kept saying that, but it's actually not true. It would have been a 3-1, not a 4-1, because one town player dies (duellist), one gets converted, and one is NK'd, so it takes 3 away. That means it'd have been a no-lynch followed by a final duel. Basically the game resets to a situation where you have one day time to chat, and then a duel, and whichever side wins that also wins the game.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1010 on: August 14, 2016, 01:34:29 pm »

I remain unconvinced that alignment changes are a good idea.

I was never convinced that they are, they were just the most practical solution to the problem you get in implementing duels: if scum wins, he just gets lynched the next day.

Another solution is to kill a big number of town players instead of converting one, but that has other problems.

Haddock

• Minion
  • Doc Cod
    • View Profile
« Reply #1011 on: August 14, 2016, 01:47:50 pm »

there might actually be truth to that. It's possible that in paying more attention you lose yourself in details, and that getting broad-stroke impressions of style yields better results.

The last is the most likely.

You do succeed in nailing down my biggest problem with my town play; I often find (possible confirmation bias alert) that my gut reads are not so very terrible but I don't want to articulate my gut reads too often. Why? Hard to say. Fear of being wrong?  Knowing I won't be able to support them? Most likely it's because I know the expectation is to give proper rereads and deeper analysis so I attempt that, with varying success.

J Reggie

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: J Reggie
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music
« Reply #1012 on: August 14, 2016, 02:28:13 pm »

Well, the way for scum to win was to force a situation that is basically a new vanilla game with 5 players and 1 scum.

Players kept saying that, but it's actually not true. It would have been a 3-1, not a 4-1, because one town player dies (duellist), one gets converted, and one is NK'd, so it takes 3 away. That means it'd have been a no-lynch followed by a final duel. Basically the game resets to a situation where you have one day time to chat, and then a duel, and whichever side wins that also wins the game.

I guess I misunderstood the wording in the setup, because I thought the conversion was instead of a NK. Reading it again, I can see it either way, but it's still confusing.

I feel like scum played pretty badly here, myself included. Joseph was doing OK until he claimed scum.

iguanaiguana

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: iguana iguana
    • View Profile
« Reply #1013 on: August 14, 2016, 02:32:58 pm »

The last is the most likely.

You do succeed in nailing down my biggest problem with my town play; I often find (possible confirmation bias alert) that my gut reads are not so very terrible but I don't want to articulate my gut reads too often. Why? Hard to say. Fear of being wrong?  Knowing I won't be able to support them? Most likely it's because I know the expectation is to give proper rereads and deeper analysis so I attempt that, with varying success.

I've been doing alright recently doing gut reads only and deeper analysis only when necessary.
Point iguana. Not that points really matter with a result, but still.
Igu is town or trying the hardest he ever has as scum.

skip wooznum

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: Skip Wooznum
  • he/him
    • View Profile
« Reply #1014 on: August 14, 2016, 02:33:41 pm »

I guess I misunderstood the wording in the setup, because I thought the conversion was instead of a NK. Reading it again, I can see it either way, but it's still confusing.

I feel like scum played pretty badly here, myself included. Joseph was doing OK until he claimed scum.
you mean in his first post?

skip wooznum

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: Skip Wooznum
  • he/him
    • View Profile
« Reply #1015 on: August 14, 2016, 02:34:38 pm »

Well, second post.

J Reggie

• Jester
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music
« Reply #1016 on: August 14, 2016, 02:44:28 pm »

you mean in his first post?

No, I mean at the end, which is why we lost.

J Reggie

• Jester
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music
« Reply #1017 on: August 14, 2016, 08:30:41 pm »

Hey ss, would you be willing to look over an idea I had for a setup?

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
Re: M83: Duel Mafia (Game Over, Town Wins!)
« Reply #1018 on: August 14, 2016, 08:38:27 pm »

Hey ss, would you be willing to look over an idea I had for a setup?

I would! just send me a PM.
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41]  All

Page created in 1.872 seconds with 20 queries.