Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Quality of card images on wiki  (Read 15244 times)

Gherald

• Minion
  • Awe: +35
  • Respect: +1399
    • View Profile
Re: Quality of card images on wiki
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2015, 02:02:32 pm »

Interesting, I just looked at the cards again on my second monitor at work, and now I can see the "Newspaper" effect.

But if I just drag this same window over to this Macbook's Retina display, the newspaper effect goes away completely (and the images look perfect).

So that newspaper effect is only noticeable on some screens. Weird.
My opponent has more loot than me

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2015, 07:10:11 pm »

The colour on the "newspaper" versions is better.  There are a few things you could try to reduce the "newspaper effect" (moire patterns?). 

1. Apply a very minimal Guassian Blur.
2. Apply a very minimal Dust and Scratches filter.

You can do these changes on a duplicated layer and lower the opacity of the top layer afterwards to adjust how big the impact is.

If you figure out a satisfactory way of doing it, I'm pretty sure you can automate it all in Photoshop with a "macro" or an "action" or something (this is something I am vaguely aware of but never taught myself to do in Photoshop).

Here's a quick attempt on your "newspaper" scan of Lost Cities, with your original on the right for comparison:

Better?  (The different is more obvious at full size, of course.)

Here are my exact steps:

1. Duplicate Layer.  I only edit the top layer from now on; the bottom layer is your original scan.
2. Filter > Blur > Gaussian Blur with radius of 0.5.
3. Filter > Noise > Dust & Scratches with radius of 1.
4. Auto Levels (Ctrl+Shift+L).
5. Reduce layer opacity to 70%.
6. Save for Web & Devices (Ctrl+Alt+Shift+S) as jpg at 80% quality.

Step 4 is primarily a colour adjustment.  I think it's an improvement, but that's subjective.

If you think the patterning is still too prominent, you can use a higher radius in steps 2 and/or 3.  You could also use a higher opacity in step 5.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9631
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2015, 07:15:09 pm »

I don't have Photoshop.

Though I have noticed there's a tiny piece of lint on Lost City that I'm going to go fix right now.

EDIT: That said, whatever you did looks much better.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 07:20:15 pm by werothegreat »
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
  • Respect: +1097
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2015, 07:26:19 pm »
+1

I don't have Photoshop.

GIMP is free and will be plenty enough to do this sort of thing.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2015, 07:32:09 pm »

I don't have Photoshop.

GIMP is free and will be plenty enough to do this sort of thing.

Just remembered I had installed that a couple months ago to make gifs!
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2015, 07:41:04 pm »

I don't have Photoshop.

Though I have noticed there's a tiny piece of lint on Lost City that I'm going to go fix right now.

EDIT: That said, whatever you did looks much better.

I could probably do it for all the cards.  It would be an excuse to learn how to automate.  I probably would not get around to it for a while though.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2015, 07:53:18 pm »
+12

Okay, using GIMP I went through eHalcyon's steps with Amulet.  What do you guys think?

Before:                                                After:

MrFrog

• Baron
  • Shuffle iT Username: MrFrog
  • Respect: +101
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2015, 08:02:47 pm »
+1

Much better!  :)

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2015, 08:07:03 pm »

Much better!  :)

Mr. Frog, you have not informed the proper authorities that you have chosen a card art avatar.  I shall be forced to write you a ticket.

*scribbles furiously in Lisa Frank notepad*

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2015, 08:07:48 pm »

The thumbnail version has more noticeable square patterning than with mine, but it's still an improvement.  Not familiar enough with GIMP to suggest changes, but I would experiment with the settings at various steps.  The opacity of the top layer is the easiest change.  I lower the opacity because it helps retain some of the sharpness of the original (the reduction is most noticeable with the text, especially the credit and copyright text at the bottom).  If it's acceptable even at 100% opacity, duplicating the layer isn't a needed step.

PPE: Be careful with those jokes, because some people might not realize that you are joking!

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2015, 08:10:08 pm »
+1

The thumbnail version has more noticeable square patterning than with mine, but it's still an improvement.  Not familiar enough with GIMP to suggest changes, but I would experiment with the settings at various steps.  The opacity of the top layer is the easiest change.  I lower the opacity because it helps retain some of the sharpness of the original (the reduction is most noticeable with the text, especially the credit and copyright text at the bottom).  If it's acceptable even at 100% opacity, duplicating the layer isn't a needed step.

Gotcha.

EDIT: Also, I'm more concerned with washing-out than with stippling.  With the opacity too high on the second layer, it starts to look more like the first try.  I had to increase the radius on the Gaussian blur to get rid of the stippling.

PPE: Be careful with those jokes, because some people might not realize that you are joking!

Is it even physically possible to be serious with a Lisa Frank notepad?
« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 08:13:14 pm by werothegreat »

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2015, 08:18:00 pm »

By "washing out" you mean the colour issue, right?  It should just be auto-levels that is adjusting the colour, so you could try omitting that step.  Or even better, you could do auto-levels on a third layer with its own (lower) opacity.  If you were feeling especially Adventurous, you could also try tweaking Levels manually for each card... but that's a lot of extra work.

Edit: Does GIMP have a Dust & Scratches filter?  You could also see if any of the other filters are better, either as additional steps or replacement steps (particularly different kinds of blurs and things that have to do with noise reduction or correction).
« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 08:21:41 pm by eHalcyon »

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2015, 08:24:32 pm »
+1

Added a third layer:

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 27, 2015, 08:27:18 pm »

I think it's a touch too blurry at full size, but I am majorly nitpicking.  Sometimes when I am doing random design stuff I also spend 10 minutes nudging one layer back and forth a pixel trying to decide which is better.  ::)

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 27, 2015, 08:28:47 pm »

I think it's a touch too blurry at full size, but I am majorly nitpicking.  Sometimes when I am doing random design stuff I also spend 10 minutes nudging one layer back and forth a pixel trying to decide which is better.  ::)

What irks me is that it's now at the same quality as the Seaside card images, but it's a different color orange.  :/

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 27, 2015, 09:15:22 pm »

What irks me is that it's now at the same quality as the Seaside card images, but it's a different color orange.  :/

There are many ways to account for that.  In Photoshop, you can adjust Color Balance or add a Photo Filter.  It looks like the Seaside images have more blue and less yellow overall.  In Photoshop, I would try adding a cooling (blue) Photo Filter first, and then go into Color Balance adjustments if the quick filter wasn't adequate.  You could also try adjusting Curves and Brightness/Contrast, and the Levels may have an impact as well.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 27, 2015, 09:25:18 pm »
+4

There are many ways to account for that.  In Photoshop, you can adjust Color Balance or add a Photo Filter.  It looks like the Seaside images have more blue and less yellow overall.  In Photoshop, I would try adding a cooling (blue) Photo Filter first, and then go into Color Balance adjustments if the quick filter wasn't adequate.  You could also try adjusting Curves and Brightness/Contrast, and the Levels may have an impact as well.

I'm going to just decide right now that that's above my pay grade.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 27, 2015, 09:29:53 pm »
+1

I'm going to just decide right now that that's above my pay grade.

Haha, totally fair. :P

BTW, I don't think the Seaside card images are as high resolution as the ones you've uploaded for Adventures.  I checked Wharf when you mentioned the colour difference and it's a much smaller size.  You could scan all the Seaside cards too, and then it would be consistent...

This has been another episode of "wero does way too much work on the wiki".
« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 09:31:48 pm by eHalcyon »

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3839
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 27, 2015, 10:10:55 pm »

I think you should just scan again all the cards ever. And be grateful this is not gatherer.wizards.com.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 27, 2015, 10:13:37 pm »

I think you should just scan again all the cards ever. And be grateful this is not gatherer.wizards.com.

Right, what are 289 cards compared to however many thousands Magic: The Gathering has shat out?

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #45 on: April 27, 2015, 11:04:55 pm »

Right, what are 289 cards compared to however many thousands Magic: The Gathering has shat out?
Too bad the Dominion Online client didn't install on the user's system. That's how I got high-res images for all the PK Cards (366) a few years ago.

[It also gave me access to all the layers needed to create fan cards]
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 27, 2015, 11:17:58 pm »

Too bad the Dominion Online client didn't install on the user's system. That's how I got high-res images for all the PK Cards (366) a few years ago.

The problem with that is that Goko doesn't include illustrator names or the RGG copyright.

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #47 on: April 27, 2015, 11:28:15 pm »

The problem with that is that Goko doesn't include illustrator names or the RGG copyright.
Why on earth would they not? It's not like it's that much harder to have that information accessible.

Besides, it's still RGG's property and still the illustrator's art...  :o
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 28, 2015, 10:18:48 pm »
+2

So I think the problem with the Seaside Durations is that they're all pictures Jay posted in previews, not scanned cards.  I'm re-uploading them now, and the color is much better.

Before:                                                      After:

jaketheyak

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +613
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 29, 2015, 12:40:24 am »

Why on earth would they not? It's not like it's that much harder to have that information accessible.

Besides, it's still RGG's property and still the illustrator's art...  :o

I presume that they don't include it because it would be illegible at many monitor resolutions.
Is there a credits screen somewhere?

In fact, looking at those Caravan scans above, it's already not super easy to read the illustrators name and those cards look huge on my monitor.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 12:41:34 am by jaketheyak »
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.063 seconds with 21 queries.