Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Card names  (Read 1158 times)

Rubby

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +324
    • View Profile
Card names
« on: April 26, 2015, 11:50:19 am »

I was going to post this in the Name a card that fits its name thread, but I didn't want to derail that thread.

Depending on how broadly you choose to define "matching what it does", that list could contain the majority of cards in the game; in general I think Dominion does a really good job of making the card names fit their effects.

Thinking of cards whose names don't fit seems like more of a challenge. "Bazaar", being another word for market/marketplace, is an unfortunate name for a card with no +buy, and I believe according to Donald it has that name only because they wanted to use the second Market illustration that had mistakenly been done. It would have been nice if that card had "village" in its name. It would also be cool if Port were named "Harbor Village".

Anyway, no rules for this thread - feel free to post any thoughts about card names.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2015, 01:45:23 pm by Rubby »

swedenman

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +118
    • View Profile
Re: Card names
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2015, 12:04:38 pm »
+1

I think Bazaar and Port are fine. I see what you mean about how "Bazaar" should probably give +Buy, but I don't really care that they don't have the world "Village" in their name. I think it would be kind of boring if every single village had the word "Village" in the name.

Anyway, there are a number of cards that I think are really neat thematically, but City and Rats are probably my favorite.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2019
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2015, 12:16:53 pm »
+1

I think it's wonderful that the Teacher teaches other cards, while his Disciples facilitate the gaining and playing of said cards.

brokoli

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +786
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2015, 12:19:08 pm »
+1

Overall I am only disappointed about some villages, especially Wandering minstrel. I mean, I can find an explanation about the name, how the effect could be related to wandering minstrel, but it isn't obvious like Mining village, Farming village, or other. I don't think we need the name village in every village card's name, because City or Hamlet are examples of villages that works well thematically.

Card names I like the most (because they fits particularly well or are simply well found) are Rats, Coppersmith, Poor house, Tunnel, Distant lands and Pearl Diver. Oh and mining village obviously.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2015, 12:20:47 pm by brokoli »
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 22 queries.