Author Topic: Ferry  (Read 3092 times)

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
Ferry
« on: April 20, 2015, 04:34:07 pm »
+1

So Ferry can do some things that have never before been possible. A couple off the top of my head:

-Buy a Border Village, gaining a Grand Market (or other $6 or $7 card, but this gets around the Copper restriction).
-Use Band of Misfits as a $5 or $6 card.
-With Haggler in play, buy a card, gain another copy of that card, or one that costs $1 more than the bought card.
-Trash Catacombs, gain a $5 or $6.

Others?
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 05:06:18 pm by GendoIkari »
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

jaybeez

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: jaybeez
  • Respect: +395
    • View Profile
Re: Ferry
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2015, 04:42:09 pm »

I'm just really looking forward to gaining Nobles with Ironworks, that's going to feel good.

EDIT: other effects off the top of my head:
- set aside a $5 or $6 card with Prince without the need for Black Market/Quarry chicanery.
- make Peddler free with just 3+ actions in play.
- create "shortcuts" for Remodel-type cards (hey look, I just Upgraded an Estate into a Margrave)
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 04:46:34 pm by jaybeez »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2015, 04:48:33 pm »

I'm just really looking forward to gaining Nobles with Ironworks, that's going to feel good.

EDIT: other effects off the top of my head:
- set aside a $5 or $6 card with Prince without the need for Black Market/Quarry chicanery.
- make Peddler free with just 3+ actions in play.
- create "shortcuts" for Remodel-type cards (hey look, I just Upgraded an Estate into a Margrave)

Sure, but all these things could be done with Highway / Bridge / Princess already. Especially Highway. I'd imagine that Peddler is a terrible card to put the token on.

Well, Upgrade does gain a new trick. You can now Upgrade a $6 into a $5, (or any card into a card costing exactly $1 less). Even Highway can't make that happen.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 04:50:06 pm by GendoIkari »
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2015, 04:53:47 pm »
+3

-With Haggler in play, buy a card, gain another copy of that card, or one that costs $1 more than the bought card.

You can't use Ferry to buy a card and gain another copy of that card.  The card costs less, but it still doesn't cost less than itself.

I'd also be careful about how you word things here.  Haggler never lets you gain a card that costs more than the bought card.  The gained card still costs less; it's just that it would cost more if it weren't for the token.  Pedantic, I know. :P

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2015, 05:06:01 pm »

You can't use Ferry to buy a card and gain another copy of that card.  The card costs less, but it still doesn't cost less than itself.

I'd also be careful about how you word things here.  Haggler never lets you gain a card that costs more than the bought card.  The gained card still costs less; it's just that it would cost more if it weren't for the token.  Pedantic, I know. :P

Oops; I originally caught that same error when typing the Catacombs thing (for a second I thought you could gain and trash the entire Catacombs pile with Watchtower); but didn't realize I'd made the same error with Haggler.

And of course I know that the cards don't actually cost less. Just referring to the base costs.

TheOthin

• Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: TheOthin
  • Respect: +447
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2015, 05:29:38 pm »

Procession and Stonemason are two more cards that can care about Actions having different relative costs. Procession can now turn a $2 into a $5 or a $3 into a $6, while Stonemason can turn a $4 into a pair of $5s. Or a Silver into a pair of $4s; that was doable with Quarry but only with Black Market.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2015, 05:45:01 pm »

Procession and Stonemason are two more cards that can care about Actions having different relative costs. Procession can now turn a $2 into a $5 or a $3 into a $6, while Stonemason can turn a $4 into a pair of $5s. Or a Silver into a pair of $4s; that was doable with Quarry but only with Black Market.

Also Forge, Upgrade... the whole Remodel family, basically.

pst

• Minion
  • Respect: +906
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2015, 05:57:35 am »
+4

I think it's worth to note that the card costs less on your turns, not just for you. So by ferrying to King's Court, not only is it cheaper for yourself to gain, it also makes it a legitimate target for your Knights etc. And other players can sometimes take advantage of the cost reduction during your turns, like when you trash with Governor.

Just a Rube

• Golem
  • Respect: +385
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2015, 08:44:11 am »
+3

I think it's worth to note that the card costs less on your turns, not just for you. So by ferrying to King's Court, not only is it cheaper for yourself to gain, it also makes it a legitimate target for your Knights etc. And other players can sometimes take advantage of the cost reduction during your turns, like when you trash with Governor.
Yes, I'm looking forward to the first log where somebody swindles Goons to Scout

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2015, 12:50:24 pm »

I pointed that out earlier in the "useful interactions" thread but mistakenly used Province as my main example, though I also mentioned "other juicy targets".  The Governor interaction is a nice catch.

Jacob marley

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jacob Marley
  • Respect: +139
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2015, 01:49:04 pm »

Open ferry mountebank with 4/3 then laugh at the poor sucker who got a 5/2 hand.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.077 seconds with 21 queries.