Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Best Dominion Moments 2015  (Read 9218 times)

theblankman

• Witch
  • Respect: +383
    • View Profile
Best Dominion Moments 2015
« on: April 11, 2015, 12:34:17 am »
+11

New thread for the new year, even though we're pretty far into said year already...

And starting off with a game where in the end my opponent had all 10 Cultists... and all 10 Ruins.  Don't see that every day...
http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20150410/log.50c4ea35e4b0a380e35fb826.1428726652478.txt
it's a shame that full-random is the de facto standard

Elanchana

• Minion
  • Princess of Derpminion
  • Respect: +1013
    • View Profile
Re: Best Dominion Moments 2015
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2015, 01:15:19 am »

I felt this was pretty satisfying.

One of those "steal your opponent's best moves and incorporate them into your deck" games. I don't think they were expecting that comeback I made.
Sure it's just a game. The same way that your best friend in the whole world is "just a friend".

TwitchYouTubeMusic

!!CHANGED MY USERNAME ON 2.0!!

TrojH

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +191
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2015, 09:29:39 pm »
+1

Code: [Select]
Cutpurse, Gardens, Horse Traders, Militia, Quarry, Remodel, Tournament, Count, Laboratory, King's Court
A game with Colonies.

http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20150411/log.5085a975a2e6ac658be2bba4.1428800626371.txt

Have you ever won a Tournament game after watching your opponent grab all 5 prizes? This wasn't quite so dramatic - I did get the Bag of Gold - but it was satisfying regardless. Duchies for the win. (And a couple of Colonies, but it turns out I didn't need them. ;D)

theblankman

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2015, 02:21:53 am »

I might actually ignore Tournament on that board... open Quarry into KCs, Labs, a Count for trashing and one or two HTs for +buy... Followers might be bothersome if the opponent gets it early enough but I think you could be driving the Colonies in spite of a nasty attack fairly quickly. 

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2015, 04:04:29 am »
+1

I might actually ignore Tournament on that board... open Quarry into KCs, Labs, a Count for trashing and one or two HTs for +buy... Followers might be bothersome if the opponent gets it early enough but I think you could be driving the Colonies in spite of a nasty attack fairly quickly.

Hmm, Count is a great early game trasher but can't deal effectively with the curses you gain in mid-game to Followers, especially from KC followers (it also can't deal effectively with the estates you gain in mid-game if you are playing Followers, but Remodel can, if you're drawing your deck with KC/Lab every turn.) Also Tournament is going to be preferable to Silver just for the peddler effect on this board (in this regard, the presence of Colonies actually makes Tournament better, because it's less likely to be blocked).

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12870
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2015, 04:12:22 am »

Hmm, Count is a great early game trasher but can't deal effectively with the curses you gain in mid-game to Followers, especially from KC followers (it also can't deal effectively with the estates you gain in mid-game if you are playing Followers, but Remodel can, if you're drawing your deck with KC/Lab every turn.) Also Tournament is going to be preferable to Silver just for the peddler effect on this board (in this regard, the presence of Colonies actually makes Tournament better, because it's less likely to be blocked).

Count+Horse Traders is not the best way to deal with Curses ever, but it's better than nothing. Though, you do want the Tournament for Princess and possibly Diadem.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Gherald

• Minion
  • Awe: +35
  • Respect: +1399
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2015, 04:50:28 am »
+1

Look like a board on which you'll be attacked, and Horse Traders is the only buy.

So Horse Traders on T1-2 into Count on T3-4.  What follows should be pretty obvious KC/Lab with 1 Quarry and Tournament stuff thrown in.
My opponent has more loot than me

JacquesTheBard

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +249
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2015, 12:42:29 pm »

New thread for the new year, even though we're pretty far into said year already...

And starting off with a game where in the end my opponent had all 10 Cultists... and all 10 Ruins.  Don't see that every day...
http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20150410/log.50c4ea35e4b0a380e35fb826.1428726652478.txt

Nine Ruins... but still pretty great.

theblankman

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2015, 02:07:11 pm »

Count+Horse Traders is not the best way to deal with Curses ever, but it's better than nothing. Though, you do want the Tournament for Princess and possibly Diadem.

You don't think HT is sufficient +buy once you're chaining KCs?  You can get to overdrawing your deck pretty quickly and do things like triple-HT followed by triple-Lab to redraw everything you discarded.  I played a few test games and emptied colonies in ~20 turns without stopping for Princess.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2015, 04:28:41 am »

You don't think HT is sufficient +buy once you're chaining KCs?  You can get to overdrawing your deck pretty quickly and do things like triple-HT followed by triple-Lab to redraw everything you discarded.  I played a few test games and emptied colonies in ~20 turns without stopping for Princess.

The price reduction is pretty good.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2015, 11:40:55 pm »

1 play of Princess amounts to producing $2 times the number of buys that you use, which should be greater than the $9 produced by a KC'd Horse Traders. 1 play of Diadem after KC + Labs should also yield much more than $9. Trusty Steed is worth noting because it can quickly provide Silver fodder that produces $ and provides cards to discard with Horse Traders, and it can function as +2 cards, +$2 otherwise.

With Princess in play, Gardens is a super cheap source of points that you can potentially pile out on. In any case, I'm not sure if Tournament is any good in an engine mirror, because piles are something to watch out for and I'm not sure if the Tournament will be able to generate the right prizes in time. I think it's worth it, though.

Gherald

• Minion
  • Awe: +35
  • Respect: +1399
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2015, 01:21:06 am »
+1

Since this is after all a "Best Dominion Moments 2015" thread, can anyone show me some actual recent games where Diadem was important?

I don't think I've ever played a game where Diadem was important or (better yet) made the difference between winning and not winning.

So I'm really surprised to see a few people acting like it's probably going to be a valuable prize on this board that doesn't even have village actions to spare.
My opponent has more loot than me

twak

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +14
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2015, 10:08:17 am »
+1

http://dominionlogs.goko.com/20150412/log.516dd05ce4b082c74d7ca362.1428891763302.txt

One of the best games I've had personally so far. Especially that point when I started buying copper so I wouldn't need to masquerade anything important.
The only thing we have to fear is losing the alchemist split

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2015, 10:46:50 am »

Since this is after all a "Best Dominion Moments 2015" thread, can anyone show me some actual recent games where Diadem was important?

I don't think I've ever played a game where Diadem was important or (better yet) made the difference between winning and not winning.

So I'm really surprised to see a few people acting like it's probably going to be a valuable prize on this board that doesn't even have village actions to spare.

When there's KC and you're mostly KCing Labs, you will have a lot of spare Actions. I gain Diadem pretty often just to get the few extra dollars right now, and I'm pretty sure that it has made the difference between winning and not winning sometimes, I can't remember the exact games though.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 10:49:15 am by Awaclus »

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2015, 11:33:32 am »
+1

When there's KC and you're mostly KCing Labs, you will have a lot of spare Actions. I gain Diadem pretty often just to get the few extra dollars right now, and I'm pretty sure that it has made the difference between winning and not winning sometimes, I can't remember the exact games though.
I don't remember Diadem ever being my first prize, but I've gained it just as a source of +$ I can use on the same turn to buy a Province.

TheOthin

• Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: TheOthin
  • Respect: +447
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2015, 05:55:30 pm »
+2

King's Court is the most potent village in Dominion.

GwinnR

• Tactician
  • Respect: +786
    • View Profile
    • German Youtube-Videos
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2015, 09:39:27 am »

I'm sure, there are people with more points, but i got 64 points in one turn :-)
Nobody's perfect, but I'm only a nobody o.O

My german Youtube-Channel: http://www.youtube.com/gwinnrdominion

Flip5ide

• Apprentice
  • Highest Rank/Rating: 58/5600
  • Respect: +136
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2015, 03:25:32 am »
+1

http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?/20150427/log.516d2730e4b082c74d7b102a.1430119301527.txt
"If at first you don't succeed, find out if the loser gets anything." - William Lyon Phelps

JW

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: JW
  • Respect: +1793
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2015, 12:14:08 pm »
+14

JW   plays Cartographer
JW   draws Moat
JW   looks at Vineyard, Vineyard, Vineyard, Vineyard
JW   discards Vineyard
JW   discards Vineyard
JW   discards Vineyard
JW   discards Vineyard

xyz123

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +511
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2015, 02:36:40 pm »
+2

I am 9 points down with 1 Province remaining. My hand is Estate, Gold, Worker's Village, Swindler, Band of Misfits plus another Gold that was Havened on my previous turn.
- Play Worker's Village, draw another Worker's Village.
- Play Worker's Village, draw Band of Misfits.
- Play Swindler, hits Copper turning it into a Curse. The gap is now 8 points.
- Play BoM as Swindler, hits another Copper into a curse. The points gap is now 7 points.
- Play the second BoM as Swindler to get the 2 coin to spend.
- This leaves 12 to spend with 3 buys. Buy the last Province and an Island to win by 1 point.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 04:35:03 pm by xyz123 »

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2015, 03:43:45 pm »

Wait but you only had 9 coins?

xyz123

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +511
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2015, 04:34:28 pm »

Wait but you only had 9 coins?

I missed that I had Havened a Gold on my previous turn.

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2015, 03:45:53 am »
+1

http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?/20150427/log.516d2730e4b082c74d7b102a.1430119301527.txt

Easily meets both criteria of challenge!
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 21 queries.