Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Hunting Party w/o Buys  (Read 1416 times)

yuma

• Minion
  • Respect: +609
    • View Profile
Hunting Party w/o Buys
« on: December 28, 2011, 04:06:09 pm »
+1

I've got a question about Hunting Parties in a board without any extra +Buys. The question is this, in a turn where multiple Hunting Parties are drawn and capable of being played should a player continue to play them and draw additional cards after reaching the magic $8 for a Province or stop and go straight to Buy phase without playing the other cards?  Perhaps an even better question is, does this even matter?

I know there are other situations where this can occur, Labs, etc--obviously duration cards would want to be played for benefit for next turn.

Just in my own reasoning I figured a lot would depend on what I knew was in my draw pile, what was in my discard and how close I was to a reshuffle, but is there more strategy there than that?

Epoch

• Tactician
  • Respect: +38
    • View Profile
Re: Hunting Party w/o Buys
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2011, 04:14:52 pm »
+1

I don't think that there's a general single answer here.  What you're trying to do is have a decent draw pile.  If you've played most of your Hunting Parties already, or have most of your Golds, and those are your "good cards," then I think that what you want to do is try to eliminate as much of your remaining draw pile as possible, to cycle the "good cards" that you're playing this turn back into your deck as quickly as possible.

If, on the other hand, you're in a situation like, "I started with $5 + 2xHunting Party, and I played the HP and got a Copper and a Silver, and I know I have 4 more HPs in my draw deck," then no, I don't think that you want to play your second HP.

And if playing the HPs will result in a reshuffle into a big draw pile right NOW, before your clean-up phase and thus before the HPs you play this turn get shuffled in, then you probably want to avoid it.

Finally, if you have no idea about all of this, delay your reshuffle as you're buying green, and you know that that card at least is dead in your new draw deck.

rod-

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +49
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2011, 04:20:23 pm »

If you already have all of your unique cards in hand (EG: your deck consists only of estates/copper/silver/gold/hp/militia/province) your choice should depend on how many of your HP you've already played.  If you've gone through 50% of them (including the one in hand), you should play the last HP as a chancellor, while otherwise you shouldn't.

Epoch

• Tactician
  • Respect: +38
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2011, 04:24:28 pm »

If you already have all of your unique cards in hand (EG: your deck consists only of estates/copper/silver/gold/hp/militia/province) your choice should depend on how many of your HP you've already played.  If you've gone through 50% of them (including the one in hand), you should play the last HP as a chancellor, while otherwise you shouldn't.

This surely depends on the size of your remaining draw deck.  If you have played 3 HP and have 3 HP left, and your draw deck is currently 10 cards, while after a Chancellor it will be 25 cards, then you shouldn't Chancellor it.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.382 seconds with 20 queries.