Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: How to play this Cultist-Familiar-Fairgrounds slog?  (Read 1318 times)

JW

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: JW
  • Respect: +1793
    • View Profile
How to play this Cultist-Familiar-Fairgrounds slog?
« on: April 03, 2015, 05:42:32 pm »
+1

Code: [Select]
Vagrant, Fortune Teller, Alchemist, Familiar, Plaza, City, Cultist, Merchant Guild, Fairgrounds, Farmland
Provinces/Estates (log). I was unsure how to open here but chose Fortune Teller-Silver with the aim of picking up mass Cultists. Hitting $5 or $3P is important and the Fortune Teller attack lowers my opponent’s chance of doing that. Was that right?

It doesn't work out as I hit $4/$4 on turns 3 and 4, taking Silver and then Potion. Should I have taken potion on turn 3 (I felt that mass Cultist is better than Familiar and was hoping still to go with that)? Is it right to get Potion on turn 4 having failed to hit $5 at that point?

Is my third Cultist on turn 11 a mistake, as I should know that he has a Cultist in his next hand and only 5 ruins are left? Should this have been City? Gold?

After the curses and ruins are almost out, I Farmlands my Potion into Fairgrounds and try to rush estates, with the idea that hopefully I’ll be able to pick up another Fairgrounds on the way. Even with a coin token saved, my deck is so full of junk that I can’t hit $6 again and my opponent gets a big City into Cultist chain turn for Fairgrounds and the last Estate to win.

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5161
    • View Profile
Re: How to play this Cultist-Familiar-Fairgrounds slog?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2015, 04:25:54 am »
+1

I think Familiar > Cultist here. With no way to trash these Curses just hurt more. And after Curses have run out, you can still get Alchemist with the Potion. There's quite a lot of draw, so Ruins aren't so bad, and of course they make Fairgrounds stronger. You probably need to go for Cities early since Ruins/Curses are sure to run out. I'd probably open Silver/Potion (not Fortune Teller because I don't want to cycle for them).

Definitely an interesting board.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2015, 09:17:28 am »

I'd open fortune teller/potion here and then consider a possible cultist later (maybe second player skips the fortune teller?). There is a way to trash curses, with farmland, but as it is at the same price as fairgrounds so there will need to be consideration throughout the game as to which will be bought. If the curse and ruin piles run out then the endgame will come quickly, making the curse points and fairgrounds scoring even more important.

JacquesTheBard

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +249
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2015, 12:32:11 pm »
+1

Final factor against cultist is that the ruins will make Fairgrounds even more valuable.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 22 queries.