Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All

Author Topic: Preview: Giant  (Read 58559 times)

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10764
    • View Profile
Re: Preview: Giant
« Reply #50 on: April 03, 2015, 05:08:16 pm »
+3

This is just totally outclassed by the other cursers, right?

Giant is not usually a curser.  It's a trashing attack that gets to be a Curser if the trashing fails.

You understand my question well enough to answer it, but you'll spend time criticizing the way I posed it and forgo the time it takes to answer what I asked.

I don't read it that way at all... I didn't see his response as a criticism of the way you posed your question; but rather as a good answer to that question. The point is that for something to be outclassed by cursers; that thing generally needs to be a curser. Otherwise you're comparing apples and oranges. The helpful question to ask here is how it compares to other trashers; not how it compares to other cursers.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 03, 2015, 05:15:41 pm »

Whether Giant is mostly a curser or a trasher depends on the situation. Against a thick deck, it's mostly a curser, making the attack not much different from Witch. Against a thin deck, it's mostly a trasher, and the attack is comparable to Knight's (in some ways better, in some ways worse). But the attack only hits once every 2 plays. The average +$3 is better than Dame Sylvia's +$2, but maybe not better than Witch's +2 cards and Sir Destry's +2 cards. This makes me think that Giant will be weaker than those cards, unless there is some way to favourably manipulate the Journey token.

Being weaker than auto-buys doesn't say much about its power level though. I think it'll be good enough to run in the right situations, but not an auto-buy. I like that in a card.

I don't get this... the what matters is the percentage of cards in the opposing deck that cost the right amount. How thin or thick the deck is shouldn't change how often it curses vs trashes.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

spiralstaircase

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +453
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 03, 2015, 05:17:39 pm »
+4

What I hope the +5 cards card is - $3 action
Turn your Journey token over (it starts face up). If it's face down, +4 cards. If it's face up, +1 card.

If this isn't called Dwarf, then my 2015 prediction is for a million fan cards called Dwarf.

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3670
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 03, 2015, 05:18:22 pm »
+1

Whether Giant is mostly a curser or a trasher depends on the situation. Against a thick deck, it's mostly a curser, making the attack not much different from Witch. Against a thin deck, it's mostly a trasher, and the attack is comparable to Knight's (in some ways better, in some ways worse). But the attack only hits once every 2 plays. The average +$3 is better than Dame Sylvia's +$2, but maybe not better than Witch's +2 cards and Sir Destry's +2 cards. This makes me think that Giant will be weaker than those cards, unless there is some way to favourably manipulate the Journey token.

Being weaker than auto-buys doesn't say much about its power level though. I think it'll be good enough to run in the right situations, but not an auto-buy. I like that in a card.

I don't get this... the what matters is the percentage of cards in the opposing deck that cost the right amount. How thin or thick the deck is shouldn't change how often it curses vs trashes.

I think the logic is, a thin deck has gotten rid of estates and coppers and thus generally has a high density of trash able targets and vice versa.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 03, 2015, 05:20:49 pm »
+3

I think the logic is, a thin deck has gotten rid of estates and coppers and thus generally has a high density of trash able targets and vice versa.

I see. But man, that completely assumes that my strategy of thinning out everything BUT Coppers and Estates isn't being used!

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 03, 2015, 05:41:05 pm »

I see. But man, that completely assumes that my strategy of thinning out everything BUT Coppers and Estates isn't being used!
Step 1) Don't buy any cards
Step 2) Profit

But really, you can have a deck relying on $2's and $7+'s, which already defends well against knights, but defends against the trashing part of Giant even better.

mathguy89

• Swindler
  • Respect: +6
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 04, 2015, 03:51:38 am »

Is it just me, or does the attack only happen on the +$5 part of the Giant?

The +$1 has a period after it.  The +$5 has the comma and then describes the attack. 

Ultimately, the rulebook will clarify.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 04, 2015, 03:57:28 am »

The +$1 has a period after it.  The +$5 has the comma and then describes the attack. 

I don't believe anyone was interpreting it any other way, were they?

Gherald

• Minion
  • Awe: +35
  • Respect: +1398
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 04, 2015, 04:02:26 am »
+2

This is the sort of thing where if you need the rulebook to clarify you really aren't taking the time to properly read the two sentences on the card.

If it's face up, +. If it's face down, <everything else>.
My opponent has more loot than me

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 04, 2015, 09:02:13 am »
+1

You are definitely correct. Welcome to the forum!

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1706
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 04, 2015, 09:49:16 am »
+4

Well, your opponent can reveal a Moat even if you're getting the $1 effect. Or, to more effect, they can reveal a Secret Chamber, or Horse Traders. Just like if you played a Minion and chose to get $2, except in this case you don't get to choose.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 04, 2015, 12:29:26 pm »

Buying 0 or 2+ copies of Giant seems to increase the chance you will play it an even number of times, which is good.  Right?

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 04, 2015, 12:38:31 pm »
+1

Buying 0 or 2+ copies of Giant seems to increase the chance you will play it an even number of times, which is good.  Right?

I don't think this is right...  with 2 Giants, I'm not sure that your chances of playing it an even number of times increases over just 1 Giant. Let's say for 1 Giant, there's a 50% chance of playing it an even number of times... this should be about true on average. For 2 Giants, each one still has that 50% chance of being played an even number of times. So there are 4 options, each with a 25% chance of occurring:

Giant 1 played odd #, Giant 2 played odd # - Even number of Giants played
Giant 1 played even #, Giant 2 played even # - Even number of Giants played
Giant 1 played odd #, Giant 2 played even # - Odd number of Giants played
Giant 1 played even #, Giant 2 played odd # - Odd number of Giants played

Still comes out to 50/50.

Now if you're drawing your entire deck each turn, then this changes; because you won't ever end the game while your Giant hasn't been found in the current shuffle. In that case, 2 Giants would mean you always play even; 3 would mean you have a 50/50 chance of playing even or odd.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2015, 01:02:30 pm by GendoIkari »

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 04, 2015, 12:57:50 pm »

If you play 3 Giants each turn, then you alternate between even and odd each turn (odd+odd=even). It isn't always an odd number of Giant plays.

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3680
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 04, 2015, 01:02:27 pm »

He's right! Giant is kind of bad...
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 04, 2015, 01:02:41 pm »

If you play 3 Giants each turn, then you alternate between even and odd each turn (odd+odd=even). It isn't always an odd number of Giant plays.

Oops, fixed.

joel88s

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +169
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 04, 2015, 07:03:32 pm »
+6

This is the sort of thing where if you need the rulebook to clarify you really aren't taking the time to properly read the two sentences on the card.

OR.... we could be patient and welcoming to new posters.
Sounds to me like he read it perfectly well, but doubted himself because an attack card that attacks every other time is a bit of novelty.

mathguy89

• Swindler
  • Respect: +6
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 04, 2015, 09:53:23 pm »
+3

Sounds to me like he read it perfectly well, but doubted himself because an attack card that attacks every other time is a bit of novelty.

Yeah, thanks Joel.  I've been around Dominion for a long time.  Been playing since the beginning.  Lurked around here on and off for awhile.  Giant is definitely a novelty with the alternating attack.  I like it though.  I was a bit surprised to be met with condescension for asking a simple question.  It wouldn't be the first time there was ever a grammatical ambiguity on a card in a board/card game, so I figured it was worth asking about. 

Gherald

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 04, 2015, 10:04:54 pm »

My response was directed at "Ultimately, the rulebook will clarify."

There's things we need a rulebook or rulings to determine. This card, on careful reading, isn't one of them.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 04, 2015, 10:22:25 pm »
+1

Yeah, thanks Joel.  I've been around Dominion for a long time.  Been playing since the beginning.  Lurked around here on and off for awhile.  Giant is definitely a novelty with the alternating attack.  I like it though.  I was a bit surprised to be met with condescension for asking a simple question.  It wouldn't be the first time there was ever a grammatical ambiguity on a card in a board/card game, so I figured it was worth asking about.

Well stick around; I've found this forum on average to be far more friendly and welcoming than most!

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 04, 2015, 10:35:53 pm »
+1

And if we call you stupid, it's only to encourage the learning process.

Gherald

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 04, 2015, 10:51:24 pm »
+1

Whoops, that helps understand the syntax - but I just realized I flipped the up/downs

If it's face down, +. <otherwise, everything else>

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 04, 2015, 11:14:29 pm »

If you can't play Giant more than once a turn, it's probably not worth going for, I think. Just like if you can't play a Pillage a turn, it's probably a bad idea.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 04, 2015, 11:16:14 pm »
+1

If you can't play Giant more than once a turn, it's probably not worth going for, I think. Just like if you can't play a Pillage a turn, it's probably a bad idea.
I disagree with both of these statements.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 04, 2015, 11:27:51 pm »

I disagree with both of these statements.

I said probably, and Stef himself doesn't like going for Pillage unless he can get them every turn usually, so I based it off of that.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 20 queries.