Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Author Topic: Preview: Giant  (Read 58351 times)

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
Preview: Giant
« on: April 03, 2015, 12:54:29 pm »
+24

Giant: Action - Attack, $5
Turn your Journey token over (it starts face up). If it's face down, +$1. If it's face up, +$5, and each other player reveals the top card of his deck, trashes it if it costs from $3 to $6, and otherwise discards it and gains a Curse.

Wow a big card! +5 coins and attack is very impressive even if you don't get it every time. This guy is certainly going to bring triumph and disaster. It will feel like a disaster if you play your giant for +1 coin, flip your journey token, but it gets trashed from your deck before you can play it again. You'll have to buy another one won't you, or maybe you should have bought a second giant already?

How bad is the attack? It would be trouble except that the giant is so slow. Unless your opponents can play a lot of giants you might be able to ignore it. When you have more than one opponent you might get more attacks on your deck and then you might need to worry. 

Traders, beggars, and silver in general look like good defenses against a giant. The defender will generally have some control of what the attack will do since it is the defender that puts most of the cards into the deck. If you buy a lot of fool's gold then the giant will be giving you curses. Even so the giant attack will probably be quite random since, like a jester, it only looks at one card. We'll see streaks of luck where the same sort of card is turned over again and again.

How good is the coin income? If you can use those +5 coins to buy key cards like platinum then it is excellent. Of course, having to get +1 coin first is very bad but perhaps you can use those early turns to gain some cards with +buy, ready for when the giant gives you the real money. Maybe if you can play your giants very often you can forget the bad start and look towards a healthy income of +6 coins from two plays.

I suspect there will be some interesting end game decisions on whether or not to play the giant and flip the journey token, especially if there's another action that could be played instead. I also suspect that these decisions will feel bad every time as you'll be weighing up income in the current hand against a gamble on what you need in a future hand. Triumph or disaster will be waiting.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
Re: Preview: Giant
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2015, 12:57:29 pm »

This one was my other favorite card!  GIANT SMASH!!
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2015, 12:57:43 pm »

Of course, having to get +1 coin first is very bad

You get the +5 coins first.

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2015, 01:00:19 pm »

Cost reducers and a couple Prince of Giants would be agonizing.
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +25672
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2015, 01:02:17 pm »
+10

No. The token starts face up. You turn it face down. You get +$1.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2015, 01:02:59 pm »

No. The token starts face up. You turn it face down. You get +$1.

Oh! Okay.

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3668
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2015, 01:03:04 pm »

It starts face up and you flip it down before anything else so the first play of giant is the weak one.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2015, 01:05:48 pm »
+4

The Journey token sounds awesome. I hope there are more cards that use it. Games with multiple Journeyers could be interesting if you're trying to (for example) use other ones to ensure you use the strong Giant attack as often as possible.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2015, 01:08:23 pm »

My first instinct is that it's not going to be a big deal unless it's in an Engine that can play it often (sort of like Sab or those Attacks).  King's Court alternates between playing it once or twice.  With two in a deck-drawing Engine you can get the good effect every turn. 

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3668
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2015, 01:08:37 pm »

This is a card I think I really underestimated the first game or two. If you can play this even fairly consistently in an engine it is just brutal. The spikes economy are actually often nice for grabbing big engine components. And it's actually not bad in big money either for spiking provinces.

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2015, 01:12:00 pm »
+1

The Journey token sounds awesome. I hope there are more cards that use it. Games with multiple Journeyers could be interesting if you're trying to (for example) use other ones to ensure you use the strong Giant attack as often as possible.
Unless a card says "Turn your Journey Token face up." That would really cripple your Giant. Or perhaps "Other players turn their Journey Tokens face up." in an effort to stall other Journey-Enabled cards?
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2015, 01:12:42 pm »

This is just totally outclassed by the other cursers, right?

managore

• Alchemist
  • Respect: +39
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2015, 01:14:09 pm »
+3

I hope there's a card that benefits from the Journey token being face down. Balancing the two cards in one game would be brutal!

Jean-Michel

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jean-Michel
  • Respect: +44
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2015, 01:14:37 pm »
+11

I guess the card that draws 5 cards when throned will use this Journey token thing (if there are more cards using it).

Nice card.

Hockey Mask

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +184
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2015, 01:15:13 pm »
+5

This expansion is becoming more and more ridiculous (in a good way).
-The Compulsive Completist

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2015, 01:15:21 pm »
+8

This is just totally outclassed by the other cursers, right?

Giant is not usually a curser.  It's a trashing attack that gets to be a Curser if the trashing fails.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

iguanaiguana

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: iguana iguana
  • Respect: +1044
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2015, 01:19:04 pm »
+2

The cursing part compares more to jester than other cursers. It's my favorite solution so far to what should a trashing attack do when it hits a card too weak or too strong to be fairly trashed.
Point iguana. Not that points really matter with a result, but still.
Igu is town or trying the hardest he ever has as scum.

XerxesPraelor

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +364
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2015, 01:19:18 pm »

I bet the card that draws 5 if you King's court it will use the journey token too.

Edit: ninjas again

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2015, 01:19:24 pm »
+1

I hope there's a card that benefits from the Journey token being face down. Balancing the two cards in one game would be brutal!

Giant benefits from the Journey token being face down before you play it. I'm not a fan of flipping the token first; I think it's counter-intuitive.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2015, 01:19:46 pm »
+1

I bet the card that draws 5 if you King's court it will use the journey token too.

I think it was throne.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2015, 01:26:46 pm »
+1

The card that gives +5 cards when you throne it is another Journey token card, isn't it?  If all the Journey token cards alternate between good and bad (and they might not), is the good effect always for face up?  If not, you could really luck out if you manage to draw and play your cards in the right order.

(I see that most of this has already been said, but I am posting it anyway!)

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2015, 01:30:47 pm »

This is a card I think I really underestimated the first game or two. If you can play this even fairly consistently in an engine it is just brutal. The spikes economy are actually often nice for grabbing big engine components. And it's actually not bad in big money either for spiking provinces.

I remember that game. :D
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Chaos

• Steward
  • Respect: +30
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2015, 01:32:40 pm »

Ummm, maybe I'm missing something, but how do you get the journey token in the first place? Do you just always start the game with one? The card doesn't seem to say.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2015, 01:33:26 pm »

Ummm, maybe I'm missing something, but how do you get the journey token in the first place? Do you just always start the game with one? The card doesn't seem to say.

I'm under the impression that you start the game with tokens.  They're yours.  Love them, name them, cherish them.  Cards (or events) just make them do things.

Edit: Well, maybe its their location (and a trigger) that makes them do things as well (i.e., on deck, on a pile).  But they start out just aside or something.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2015, 01:36:04 pm »

I assume it's the same as Mats etc. Island doesn't tell you to take an Island Mat, it just assumes you have one. I think the rulebook says to take one when you gain your first Island. In practice, you might take one at the start of the game just in case and since it doesn't matter if you have one and don't need it, or you might take one when you first play an Island and realise you need somewhere to put it.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Page created in 0.244 seconds with 20 queries.